BarbieSoFetch
C4unicorn

Should people have the choice of whether or not they want to attend school?

BarbieSoFetch

Pro

I believe one should be able to have the option of going to school or not. I personally think school is miserable but, I do think school is mandatory. Yet, there are many kids in my school who absolutely hate school. I think teachers deserve the respect of kids who actually want to learn. I think if kids want to drop out of school whenever, they should! I'd hate to be in a school full of oblivious novices. It makes my school environment distracting and not enjoyable.
C4unicorn

Con

I know this will probably sound lame, but school is incredibly important and should be mandatory up to a certain point.

However, the educational system we have now is severely flawed and needs to improve. The way classes are structured is beneficial to only a small group of people's method of learning.

Take it from someone who was unable to attend school for almost two years due to health concerns, you pay for it later. My employment options are severely limited, and they will be until I have finished catching up on what I missed.

Not enjoying school is probably the worst reason to drop out, if it can even be called a reason. To drop out of school shows a lack of maturity. You need what they are teaching you to be successful later in life, even if it seems pointless.

Without a diploma, chances are you won't be able to get a job anywhere except McDonald's or somewhere similar.
Trying to live off of minimum wage for the rest of your life simply because you chose not to put up with school for a few years seems like a pretty good reason not to drop out.
BarbieSoFetch

Pro

Your last argument adds to the list of why people should choose whether or not they want to attend school. I believe they should be able to choose because they should be able to accommodate for their actions. Most students who drop out of school understand what they are getting themselves into. They have been given lectures on what to expect and if they want to succeed in life. All students should know that dropping out of school means, harder to get jobs, less likely to get chosen for jobs, they have less life skills, they won't understand stuff they need to know, etc. Dropping out of school is agreeing to throw away oneself's future.

By the time people have the common sense to acknowledge their thoughts and feeling on decision making, they will be in middle school. I myself think some classes in school shouldn't be mandatory yet I understand why we learn things like; history, science, ELA, etc. They provide us with options. One thing I also think strongly about is the fact that students get held back. It's the same scenario as dropping out of school. Failing more than one class is unacceptable and students who fail don't put fourth any effort! Which means they will have to take the whole grade over again. Someone who wants to drop out of school doesn't feel the need to put forth any effort towards school. And the students who stayed in school who hated school never went to college and were okay with what their future was. They can't apply for nursing jobs, or a lawyer or chef. They choose to have this future.

C4unicorn

Con

Although you make a good point, children who are in middle school should not be able to choose to leave school. They may be capable of making decisions, but often those decisions are bad ones. The teenage brain is still developing and more often than not, not capable of critical thinking required to make decisions that will affect them for the rest of their lives.
Here are some facts about dropouts;
A high school dropout will earn $200,000 less than a high school graduate over his lifetime. And almost a million dollars less than a college graduate.
In the U.S., high school dropouts commit about 75% of crimes.

More than half of the people who drop out of school at a young age eventually do go back to school, but their success rate has plummeted. Some spend years in vocational training or community college to learn trades, and still make much less per year than those who put up with boring, pointless classes for a while longer.

http://www.npr.org...
https://www.dosomething.org...
http://www.edweek.org...
BarbieSoFetch

Pro

Well, middle schoolers will eventually go to high school and why not drop out early in MS. I do believe you are allowed to drop out of high school, right? So why not save all the hard ache and drop out early. As years have passed, I feel like children are more aware of what they want. When I turned eleven I decided what middle school, high school, and college I wanted to go to. I was able to contemplate my choices and make the decision to further my future. Hell, by the time I was 12 I started applying for scholarships. The point is, we make big decisions everyday. I believe middle schoolers should decide what they want. And like you had stated before, drop outs are most likely to go back to school. Whether they are middle schoolers or high schoolers, they are both faced in the same scenario. The only difference is, if someone were to take a year off of school early, they'd most likely be back in school faster and not have wasted as much time as a high school drop out.

Now, it's a big decision but it's one anyone, any age should make. They will most likely understand the struggle of life without school and go back. Either way, for me school is stressful and I have gone through so much stress, lack of sleep, etc. but I feel as if it got to a point where I couldn't take it, I'd want the choice of dropping out. And for parents, they want their children to make something out of themselves. But this shouldn't be something holding us back from dropping out.
C4unicorn

Con

I'm not sure what the law is where you live, but where I am, truancy laws require you to go to school until you are at least 16.

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say in my last argument. Children are not capable of making wise, informed decisions at such a young age. The part of the brain responsible for logic and critical thinking is not fully developed until the mid to late 20s.

I did say that dropouts return to school, but I also stated that most that return do not finish school. They struggle with paying bills, often don't have home, car or health insurance. They have poor retirement plans. Dropouts are much more likely to commit crimes, end up in jail, or end up homeless. Some end up on welfare, which affects the community as a whole. The older you get, the harder school becomes.

If we let children make decisions that could badly screw up the rest of their lives, we are not doing a good job at raising them. There's a reason that our parents make the decisions for us until we are 18.

I think you are forgetting that we do get time off of school. Every year. Two months in summer, and several weeks during the holidays and mid-March. We do get time off of school, from the time we are in kindergarten to the time we graduate. High school is a short period of time in our lives. It's best to put up with a little stress and a little boredom in order to ensure a better future for ourselves, and in turn, our own children.

Dropping out of school because of stress is only going to be a temporary relief, followed by a lifetime of constant stress.
Everybody experiences stress in high school. It's how we prepare for what comes later. There will always be stress, you can't escape from that by dropping out.

I speak from experience here. School was absolutely terrible for me. I have severe anxiety, diagnosed by a psychiatrist, and am being treated for it. Every day at school, I would get panic attacks. Sometimes I would have to go to the hospital to be sedated because of what the stress was doing to my heart. I had to be put in a special program that had smaller classes, because if I was in a crowded place for too long, my blood pressure would go way up and my doctor was scared I'd have a stroke. I was 15.

But I stayed in school, because it's better to put up with 4 years of stress and be done with it than have to worry the rest of my life how I would get by. I'm out of high school now, and I can say I'm happy I stayed. I still loathed every moment of it, but I was mature enough to just get through it.

Stress is not a reason to drop out, boredom isn't either. It would be incredibly irresponsible for adults to allow children to choose whether or not to complete school.
Posted by BarbieSoFetch 2 years ago
BarbieSoFetch
No sh*t Sherlock! A f*cking 9 year old doesn't have the mentality to make a decision like dropping out of school. During that period in life, school is easy and actually fun. I doubt they would drop out at that age.
Posted by Geekhawk 2 years ago
Geekhawk
Like I said, after they get to a certain age, they should decide for themselves but if they did not go to school, how would they get a basic education? Ok, maybe I should be more clear on what I mean by "school". I believe that its at least a semi-formal level of education. Because look at home schoolers? Would you say they did not go to school? So I think home schooling is a form of schooling thus, it would fall user going to school. So if this is the case, then the employees in Texas DO have some schooling in them. But let me ask you, have you been to Texas? Yes, some are uneducated to a certain extent but everyone needs some level of schooling. Seriously, how were they able to write their resume?...
Posted by BarbieSoFetch 2 years ago
BarbieSoFetch
Yes, but if you go to a McDonald's in Texas, the majority of employees there are very disrespectful. They communicate fine. We have adapted to different types of slang and words used. And of course the parents are going to want to send their children to elementary. It IS basic education and even if someone dropped out, there are so many ways of learning to communicate and now a days, communicating is much simpler with better technology and resources.
Posted by Geekhawk 2 years ago
Geekhawk
I believe points should be taken on both sides. While people need an basic education, when it gets to a certain point of age, they should be able to decide for themselves if they want to go into higher learning. Because, without any form of education, how would people be able to communicate? Everyone needs basic skills in math, science, language, and history. When you wake up and go to work (yes, even McDonalds), you have you will have to converse with people. Say you work at McDonalds, you need to know basic math in other to take their order at the cash register. You also need to know your language to read the order when preparing the order and you also need communication skills. You also need some form of science skills to know when something is done cooking (yes, noticing that something is done cooking requires some science) so therefore both sides have a point.
Posted by Iamright58 2 years ago
Iamright58
Yes, school is absolutely useless. Working at McDonald's is way more fun then learning'math' or 'poetry' beurk!
Posted by cha-the-politician 2 years ago
cha-the-politician
I think schools should have more specified education and more elective from a sooner time.