aprilautumn7
rosey2108

Should people have to work from home?

aprilautumn7

Con

It is very hard to work from home because you can't work knowing that your house is not clean or you have to feed your pets or you get upset from emails or the importent things you have to do for work like to go to the UPS store.
rosey2108

Pro

Working from home, doesn't that sound nice? You wouldn't have to get up at a certain time and get dressed for work each and every day. Plus, you'd get flexible hours! Sounds like paradise, doesn't it? Though, not everyone agrees with it. Unlike my opponent, I believe that you CAN work from home, and that it isn't as difficult as some people may think. Yeah, it's still a job, you're going to have to work, but that doesn't mean you'll be working the WHOLE day. I think my opponent is wrong because you can still work from home and get things done. (A.K.A. Feeding your pets, cleaning your house, etc.) Plus, there are many benefits to working from home! Such as:
  • Doing your work anywhere you want
  • Less time sitting in a car in a long line of traffic (This is also better for the environment)
  • Fewer interruptions
  • Flexible hours
  • And you would get to enjoy the comforts at home.
aprilautumn7

Con

You get alot of interruptions because when your kids or pets come home from school they will stay in the room for a long time. Plus you have to go to alot of meeting out of town so I think my opponint is wrong. I know because my mom works from home and it is so hard for her. Plus you can on axident hurt there feelings.
rosey2108

Pro

What if you don't have kids or pets? And even if you did, you could work while the kids are at school or when your pets are sleeping. Like I said in my previous argument, you don't work ALL day. In addition to that, not every homeworker goes to meetings out of town. There are all kinds of different homeworkers, they aren't all the same.
aprilautumn7

Con

It is often to lonely you do not get to see your boss every day so you can't impress him or her every day. It is hard to share ideas on the phone and you can't play office politics when you aren't in the office.
rosey2108

Pro

It is often too lonely."
Some people like to be in the comfort of their own home, in complete solitude. It's better than being sitting in an office all day. And if they get too lonely, then get they could get a pet!
"You do not get to see your boss every day so you can't impress him or her every day."
Depends on if the person working from home runs the business or not. Maybe it's a business run from home. And even if they had a boss, it wouldn't be mandatory to impress them everyday.
"It is hard to share ideas on the phone"
I agree that it is difficult to share ideas from the phone. However, with the advancements in technology, applications such as skype, have made this situation a lot less hectic. And if it was too difficult to do anything outside of the office, then they could just go in the next day and do what was needed.
"You can't play office politics when you aren't in the office."
Why would you want to play office politics? It's office gossip, why would you want to get involved in something like that? It could get you deployed, or worse, fired! Staying out of office politics is a much better decision.
Vote Placed by rross 4 years ago
rross
aprilautumn7rosey2108Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made good arguments for why working from home would desirable for some people, but the topic was should people *have to* work from home, even if it doesn't suit them, and he didn't really defend this idea. However, con could also have pushed the point harder. So I think it's even.