StormySkies
Aerogant

Should people judge others based on age?

StormySkies

StormySkies

Con

I am 13 years old and I am getting increasingly irritated about people always judging me by my age. Even on here, I have spent time coming up with an intelligent debate for a topic, and then finding out that I don't match the age criteria. In real life, people insist on treating me as if I am stupid, and that I don't know about anything, simply because of my age. Is this justified?
Aerogant

Pro

This is a tricky question that's somewhat loaded, so let me clue you in on how this question needs to be broken down.

Judging someone of their age can either mean you are separating people's privilege to perform based on their age, or using age as a way to gauge the likely-hood of their ability to stand up to you.

Here's an interesting double standard I've noticed: Adults that say a child is too young to handle them turn around and say the opposite side of the age spectrum is too old for them. Excuses are great, huh? Good thing the human brain is our hero at the end of the day - too bad most heroes are sleeping on their job, though.
StormySkies

Con

Sorry for being a bit confusing, I didn't think that anyone would actually accept this debate. When I say "judging by age" I am referring to both statements. Both of which I think should not be done.
(And I have noticed that too, and those double standards can apply to many things other than age)
You did not begin providing an argument against me in that comment, so I guess I'm going to flesh out mine a little bit to make it easier.
You can never truly know what is going on is someone's head, so you can never look at them, see how young or old they are, and make a judgement. I have read articles about things such as 12 year olds at college level, whether it is math, science, or something completely different. And the judgements are not always based on intelligence, either. They can be about artistic skills, sports, or just maturity in general. This is wrong, because it displays ignorance.
Aerogant

Pro

The way you worded title allows me to easily win this. You did not specify upon judgement, as you can judge without going too far as to prevent people from doing anything based on their age. I judge people based on their color, their age, what they wear, but not in the hateful way you are inferring it. Everyone judges - it's just observation. It's when you commit yourself to that judgment and use it to support your ideas towards others, closing yourself off to other perspectives, that's when it's truly poison to humanity. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with judging people based on characteristics if it's simply to help us better shape our impression of those around us.
StormySkies

Con

It's not just prevention we're just talking about, it kind of hurts, even if it has no other consequences. I have no idea how old you are, so I'm not exactly sure if you can relate at the moment. What I'm talking mostly about is what you mentioned, the one-sided ignorant type.
Judgement is not an observation. Observation is noticing that someone wears glasses and suspenders, judgement is thinking "well, they must be such a nerd". (bad example, I know) I don't judge people by their color, age, etc, I observe it.
Judgment isn't a solid base for thinking about others either, or creating opinions. Closing yourself off to other views isn't as bad as ignoring the facts.
Aerogant

Pro

Whether you arguing either or, your title is "should people judge people based on their age", not "is people oppressing others based on their age justified?".

Therefore you can argue all you want - your title says "judgment". Judgment is not bad; it's observation. It's what people do with it. So next time, word your title correctly. Since you worded your title incorrectly, you could say you are young and still have much to learn from your mistakes. By not accepting it, is why some people do this anyways - they don't want to put up with your teenage angst. So be a good 13 year old, accept your bad wording issue and people won't have to see just why some people simply say what they based on your age.
Posted by LogicalLunatic 2 years ago
LogicalLunatic
Rejoice; for Aerogant's account has been closed!
Posted by LogicalLunatic 2 years ago
LogicalLunatic
So you believe.
Posted by StormySkies 2 years ago
StormySkies
I'm actually a boy :)
Posted by LogicalLunatic 2 years ago
LogicalLunatic
I pity Con for having Aerogant accept her debate.
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
It doesn't.

I am the Universe.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
You're right, the universe doesn't need you
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
This isn't about me - it's about the Universe and the truth.

Everything else is your ego deceiving you.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Aerogant, you have already shown to have the ultimate narcissist complex. You worship yourself.
Posted by kthx 2 years ago
kthx
k
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
If it all wasn't true, you would not be reacting as you are now. The fact that you have, while harping on me "for being rude", while ignoring people who threaten people with eternal hell, makes you a hypocrite. Congratulations. Your reaction is caused by your lack of self esteem, I'm afraid. I have nothing to prove, so your emotional backlash does not faze me. I know you more than you know yourself, frankly.
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
StormySkiesAerogantTied
Reasons for voting decision: Personal attacks towards the end was annoying.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
StormySkiesAerogantTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ok, conduct to con, as pro got offensive again in the final round. Arguments were about even, it would've been better if you both had used sources,