pitbull.lover
MegaDan

Should people keep pit bull dogs?

MegaDan

pitbull.lover

Pro

Pitbulls jaws DO NOT LOCK! People don't like Pit bulls because they think their jaws lock but they don't. My 4 Pit bulls are very nice and don't pose a threat to anyone in my family, so if you think Pit bulls are a real danger to your family your stupid.

THE PROBLEM IS THE OWNERS NOT THE DOG!!!!!
MegaDan

Con

I do not like Pitbulls, and yes i know my Staffordshire bull terrier from a pitbull, i have always been surrounded by dogs and know the good and bad traits of each breed, and while i appreciate that it is their owner who bears the responsibility of training the dog, i absolutely abhor pitbulls.

It doesn't matter that the vast majority of pitbulls are harmless, loving and loyal dogs, you can only look at the statistics and see that Pitbulls are responsible for more bites and deaths than any other dog breed by a long long way, i think Rottweilers are 2nd, a rottweiler actually bit my own dog, a terrier cross a few months ago in a public place, the owner of the rottweiler was a neighbour and a good dog owner but that is besides the point.

my point is, Pitbulls are unpredictable and dangerous to the public, and should be banned, in May 2013, there were 14 human deaths from dog attacks in the USA, 13 of these were by pitbulls, In other studies in the 1980's and 1990's they they have consistently found that 60-65% of all dog attacks on humans have been by a Pitbull or a rottweiler or a mixed breed including one of them.

Notice how they are involved in 60% of attacks but 85-90% of deaths, this highlights the dangers of them even more.

In the UK, A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds

I love dogs but avoid pitbulls among other breeds, i have owned what are considered to be 'dangerous' dogs in the past, such as a german shepherd, and he was a lovely calm dog, i would happily trust him around other people not to attack, i could not do this with a pitbull.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
http://dogbitelaw.com...
pitbull.lover

Pro

Dogs protect their owners with their lives, so it's insulting to call them dangerous. So they only defend their owners and attack who they sense who is bad, my pit bulls are friendly and if you were to meet them they would sniff you ( normal stuff).And I honestly love all animals no matter how dangerous. So I will defend them till every breath in my body is gone.
MegaDan

Con

**Dogs protect their owners with their lives, so it's insulting to call them dangerous. So they only defend their owners and attack who they sense who is bad**

Pitbull attacks on children are unprovoked 94% of the time, that is all i can say to that.
http://companionanimalsolutions.com...

A 9-year (1979"88) review of fatal dog attacks in the United States determined that, of the 101 attacks in which breed was recorded, pit bulls were implicated in 42 of those attacks (42%)
A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds.
A 5-year (1989"94) review of fatal dog attacks in the U.S. determined that pit bulls and pit bull mixed breeds were implicated in 24 (29%) of the 84 deaths in which breed was recorded
pitbull.lover

Pro

pitbull.lover forfeited this round.
MegaDan

Con

Interesting you chose to forfeit round 3, don't you want to fight the debate you started?

Find me some facts which show that Pitbulls aren't responsible for the most unprovoked attacks against children and responsible for the most dog related deaths of any domestic dog breed.

If these dogs are so easy for inept dog owners to train to be vicious and so unpredictable in that it's not uncommon for a family pet to rip the arm of a baby or kill them then they shouldn't be available to the general public.

They should be banned, i can't imagine anyone with an ounce of common sense would keep these dogs with a young family, but yet thousands of people do, and 94% of pitbull attacks are unprovoked against children.. it beggars belief, it really does.
pitbull.lover

Pro

I have 4 pitbulls, and as I been living with all of them about 3-4 years I have not seen major violence in them. Other pitbulls might and I understand that, but you should not judge all pitbulls because of that.When I tell someone I have 4 pitbulls they shake their head like I'm crazy. But I will stand by the breed and defend them and prove that they are not as dangerous as they seem.
MegaDan

Con

I'm sure your 4 pitbulls are perfectly fine, you can't judge all pitbulls because your pitbulls are fine, There are people out there who keep tigers and lions and they can be perfectly safe with a good owner who knows what they are doing, but should everyone allowed to own a lion as a pet? hell no.

I could own a pitbull, and i'm sure it would be a calm dog, but would i ever be able to trust that dog? no, would i ever be able to leave that dog alone with someone? no, would i dare bring a child anywhere near that dog? hell no

It is too unpredictable, powerful and difficult for the typical dog owner to own, you'd have to be outright ignorant to disregard the dangers of a pitbull, they should 100% be banned, it would save at least one hundred lives worldwide each year if they were totally banned.

In 100 years that is 10,000 lives saved.
pitbull.lover

Pro

OK lions would not be kept as pets. But some pitbulls may be dangerous others may not, I understand people's fear of them. I'm always bit by my puppy and I was bit twice by adults. I was giving them bones and they got overexcited and bit me. Im not afraid of them though. You and other people may be scared but I'm not and i may have started a debate about it but I am not giving up, and i did not forfeit on purpose I just wasn't online at the time.
MegaDan

Con

Surely this highlights the point i am making, you own 4 Pitbulls and have been bitten 3 times, a dog which has a bite force of 235 pounds has bitten you on 3 separate occasions, this is exactly why they should be banned.

Of course all dogs can bite, i'm not denying this, but you have to take into account, the unpredictability of the Pitbull, combined with the tremendous bite force and power it possesses, add to that the fact that 94% of pitbull attacks on children are unprovoked and even your very own pitbulls have bitten you.

It is not a suitable dog for people to own, it shouldn't have a place in society as it is too much of a danger, i believe it should be banned.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
"It's all to do with temperament"

Its ALL about upbringing.

Majority of Pits are raised to be vicious or just raised horribly.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
They also don't have the record of being trained to fight.
Posted by MegaDan 2 years ago
MegaDan
@Broken Blood - First of all, there is no record of a Kangal ever attacking a child, they have a stable temperament. They are quiet and calm, devoted, controlled and trustworthy. They are brave and protective without undue aggression, Secondly, they're not really recommended as a domestic pet, they are a working dog and need alottt of exercise, as for Wolfdogs, they are controversial as there is some argument about whether they are domestic or wild Animals, i'm quite sure you have to have a license to own one of them, they're not really a common domestic dog but if you wish to include them in the debate then fair enough.

As for your list, wherever you go it from, in no particular order as you say, you have said the same 5 dogs which i said and added Bulldogs, well let me tell you, a Bulldog is lovely dog, and has an excellent temperament, except when it has one drop of Pit Bull terrier blood inside it, it's temperament becomes unpredictable, hence why the Pitbull should be banned.

I did not place the 'Pitbull highest or 2nd or whatever' as you stated so eloquently, i placed the Pitbull 4th, or joint 3rd, if you want to place them 5th then you're welcome to do that.

It's all to do with temperament, the fact remains that Pitbulls commit over 90% of their attacks unprovoked, so i can't trust a dog which is that unpredictable and that powerful because i'm a responsible human being and don't need to display my ego and power by owning such a dog.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
Pitbulls are not the highest or 2nd or whatever you're saying.

Kangals are number one. Followed by Mastiffs, Bulldogs, German Shepherds, Wolfdogs, Dobermans and Rottweilers(no particular order). Maybe a couple others.

You really should get your facts straight.
Posted by MegaDan 2 years ago
MegaDan
@Broken Blood - Your comment is subjective and filled with conjecture, find me some contradictory evidence and i'll listen, if you're telling me you'd leave your child with someone who owns a pitbull, then that is up to you, all i am saying is i wouldn't.

I don't trust them, facts back me up, same results in the 1970's and 80's, Pitbulls are unpredictable and dangerous. The Pitbull bite was measured at 235 pounds of pressure. It is the most highly recognized breed for jaw and bite strength, the only dogs with a more powerful bite are Rottweilers, which are incredible vicious and banned in many places and Dobermans which are also banned in many places, the German Shepherd has the same force as a pitbull but i trust them a whole lot more than Pitbulls and consider myself a capable dog owner/handler. (I think Mastiffs have strong force too but i don't know the number)

I would never own a Pitbull, I can't control them or trust them.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
@MegaDan1. I don't see how he " cancelled the debate ". There is no such mechanism on the site.

Debate your opponent or don't. Start another to debate me, or don't. Don't, however, come to a debate site and refuse to debate because you disagree.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
You are very ignorant on the subject of pitbull awareness MegaDan.

Pits can be trusted as much as any other dog especially a German Shepard.

Did you know German Shepards used to have the same rep as a Pitbull? and a rottweiler? and a doberman?

Its all about how they are raised. Your percentages listed are based upon pits with a cruel upbringing.

I have been around pitbulls my entire life so has my family and my friends. They are no more unpredictable than another dog.
Posted by MegaDan 2 years ago
MegaDan
@tbr - lol 2nd batman :P he's just cancelled the debate, he doesn't have any facts to back up his claim :D
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Funny. Was about to take it, and a second batman jumped in.
Vote Placed by TheAdamb99 2 years ago
TheAdamb99
pitbull.loverMegaDanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided better responses and did not forfeit any round unlike Pro.