renkenskylar
Missaries

Should people raise the driving age to 18?

Started: 12/5/2015 Category: Places-Travel

renkenskylar

Con

I know I would not be able to drive until 18! That is all I have to say!
Missaries

Pro

I stand on the firmest affirmation of the resolution that people should raise the driving age to 18. Before I go into my contentions, I would like to define some key terms in the topic today. Driving is to cause and guide the movement of (a vehicle, an animal, etc.) by dictionary.com.

First teenagers, when achieving their drivers license should undergo a one year 'settling down' process as this would allow them to acquire some road sense and, hopefully, common sense. Having not affiliated with driving for X amount of years hinders young drivers as sharing the same road with other experienced drivers may cause accidents. Teens are more likely than older drivers to underestimate dangerous situations or not be able to recognize hazardous situations(CBS.com). In 2013, 2,163 teens in the United States ages 16"19 were killed and 243,243 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes.1 That means that six teens ages 16"19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries (CDC.org). This shows the significance of newly licensed teenagers that are likely to crash and have fatal deaths. So any misdemeanors and the clock restarts. Three strikes within that year and they are banned for life. Brutal? So is the loss of an innocent life.

Secondly, most sixteen year old are mentally immature and incapable of handling a motor vehicle. Now, by opening with such a bold statement it is only logical that prove facts, studies, and evidence are necessary to prove such a point. A study done at the National Institute of Mental Health concluded that at the age of 16, the adolescent brain remains undeveloped in vital areas that regulate impulse control and the contemplation of a present action"s future consequences. For driver"s, these qualities are essential to staying alive on today"s highways as apposed to becoming a stain on them. Unfortunately this area also controls the extreme highs and lows felt by teenagers in the form of radical emotions, giving them the reputation for being "drama queens". This also effects a teenager"s ability to handle a car without allowing the intense "hot"s and cold"s of emotion" brought on by that days events, making teenagers more prone to road rage than most other age groups. At 18, a human is more capable of controlling impulses, and emotions(TeenInk.com). Sadly, another contributor to the increase in teen deaths on the road is the heightened use of technology in the car. A voluntary survey done by Edgar Snyder Law Firm of teens and technology revealed 52% of 16- and 17-year-old teen drivers admit to using, answering, and making cell phone calls on the road. 34% admit to text messaging while driving a vehicle. This survey was answered voluntarily, so the actual percentages may be much higher. This crucial element in driving has been recognized in countries all across the globe like France, Germany, Australia, and Denmark, who don"t allow legal licensing until the age of 18- so why is this concept so hard for American legislators and law makers to grasp? For Maryland state legislator Adrienne Mandel, this concept is what she has been fighting other delegates on since 1997. On the topic, Mandel says "Other delegates said, 'What are you doing? You're going to make me drive my kid to the movies on Friday night for another six months?' This got me really thinking. Parents are talking about inconvenience, and I'm talking about saving lives."

Furthermore, with these two contentions listed, this proves that raising the driving age to 18 will help newly licensed teenagers becoming affiliated to the road with X amount of years and help reduce the innocent lives lost from fatal occurrences.
renkenskylar

Con

renkenskylar forfeited this round.
Missaries

Pro

As my opponent renkenskylar has forfeited, I still stand firmly on the affirmation of the resolution that people should raise the driving age t 18.
renkenskylar

Con

renkenskylar forfeited this round.
Missaries

Pro

Missaries forfeited this round.
renkenskylar

Con

renkenskylar forfeited this round.
Missaries

Pro

Missaries forfeited this round.