Redscrap101
mir9

Should people show more respect to deaf people

mir9

Redscrap101

Pro

I'm deaf myself, mostly I am tired my family forcing me to wear my cochlear implant. It doesn't even work very well at all. Because my parents are constantly having to repeat themselves over and over again. Its actually reaching to the point where I just want to move to a different family. A family that does actual ASL, most importantly they get me involve in different activities than just sitting around and and watch them chat away happily ever after it feels as if they are thinking that i'm not even there in the room. Every time I tried to participate into their conversations they most of the time they would respond, "Were not talking about that" and then they would just go back to their regular thing and laugh at me. It's insulting!!! I wish it can stop now!!!
mir9

Con

My opponent makes a good point. However, I shall start with my opening remarks first.

In our society nowadays, it is easy to find cruelty in every aspect of life. Every error of all kinds are picked on or made fun of by friends, strangers, governments, and even families. My opponent is stating that we should show more respect to deaf people.
My argument is that although deaf people are handicapped, they are not exactly qualified to be called as higher members of our society that should be treated specially. It is true that it is cruel and disrespectful to pick on such members of society, but it no reason to give them respect. Necessary attention, yes. Respect, no.
First of all, I believe that all people should be treated with respect, not just the handicapped. Although the deaf and blind are targets of disrespect, they are not the only ones teased. So, I say that all members of society should be treated with respect.
Secondly, the deaf and blind can use this to their advantage. In society, people have the right to ignore people they do not wish to speak with. Just because someone is deaf doesn't mean that everyone should inform them on every conversation in the vicinity. If someone truly wishes to speak with them, they will. And although it is rather impolite, people also have the right to ignore others.
Thirdly, as I mentioned before, what deaf people really need is attention, not respect. Although they have the right to be respected as a human being, it doesn't mean they should receive furthermore respect. Deaf people may need attention so that they can understand what someone is trying to tell them, and that can be achieved through a translator.

*I have no intended offense to my opponent or any handicapped people anywhere. Please forgive any offensive content that may have been included in my argument( this goes for my following arguments as well).
Redscrap101

Pro

They are trying to show respect, the problem is that the deaf and blind they are confused. When you talk to them to get something you can tell by the expression on their face when they are confused. Doesn't matter if they are deaf or blind they have the disabillity to be able to listen or communicate with the hearing people. You said,"they are not exactly qualified to be called as higher members of our society that should be treated specially."
That is not true because you can't expect them to read your mind and automatically know what you're trying to tell them. The only way we can understand y'all is by communicating with ASL or by writing notes. You can't just leave them standing there with no clue of what's going on.
mir9

Con

mir9 forfeited this round.
Redscrap101

Pro

Redscrap101 forfeited this round.
mir9

Con

Although we can sometimes feel alone and mistreated in the world, it isn't fair to expect special respect from someone. Of course the handicapped should have help living their lives, that doesn't give them the right to demand anymore respect than other humans. My opponent has stated the fact that his/her family neglects to include him/herself in conversations and doesn't bother to learn how to communicate with their own family member. I believe this to be an inhumane act of his/her family. However, this has nothing to do with anyone else in the world. As I stated in my first round, just because the handicapped are mistreated doesn't mean non-handicapped people aren't. All humans should be treated with the same respect, and no one is above anyone else in our modern civilized society. I thank my opponent for creating this debate and I wish my opponent luck on resolving family matters. I also apologize for not being able to post my second round and in conclusion end this debate.
Posted by Redscrap101 6 months ago
Redscrap101
exactly that's my point
Posted by Wylted 6 months ago
Wylted
That's horrible that your family isn't more supportive. My fianc" is well versed in asl and she doesn't know a single deaf person. She chose to learn it as a 2nd language because she felt that it was the only 2nd language worth learning due to the fact the deaf can't help they are deaf but immigrants can help that they don't speak English.
Posted by Redscrap101 6 months ago
Redscrap101
They've would try doing it but when I'm up in austin for school "Texas School For the Deaf" and I come back and sign to me again it's just mostly forgotten knowledge of ASL so I would have to start teaching them all over again.
Posted by Cheetah 6 months ago
Cheetah
I doubt anyone is going to argue that you should not respect deaf people.
Posted by Romanii 6 months ago
Romanii
That's horrible!
You're family hasn't even taken the trouble to learn sign language!?!?
Posted by Redscrap101 6 months ago
Redscrap101
thanks u too
Posted by Brainii 6 months ago
Brainii
I'm hard-of-hearing. I have similar problems. Best of luck!!!
Vote Placed by Ryuuikari 6 months ago
Ryuuikari
Redscrap101mir9Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con put across a stronger argument with the point about handicapped peopled needing more 'attention' and not more 'respect' being the clincher. Also Con's rebuttals were stronger than Pro's.