OutOftheBlue
jvava

Should people who are on Welfare be able to vote?

jvava

OutOftheBlue

Con

Now, before I get blasted, this is just so I can put to rest this idea in my head and debate it to see if it works. I do not to intend this to get super serious. First round is to accept!
jvava

Pro

Hello. I am glad to be debating with you on this subject.

I believe that those who are on welfare should still have a say in our government. They should be able to vote for their favorite candidate, no matter what economic level they are on. And, besides, why should they not be allowed to vote?

Looking forward to a great debate. May the voters decide who ultimately wins!
OutOftheBlue

Con

My main argument against people on Welfare voting is "what do they have to lose?" Why should someone who is not contributing (such as tax money, etc.) be able to decide where that money is spent, or who is in charge of it? People who forfeit a percentage of their income to the government should be able to control said government.
In many scenarios in democratic systems, many political candidates gain a huge portion of their electorate from welfare populations. Why? Because they promise to extend benefits to gain the vote of that electorate. This is unfair to the population that works hard, and ends up supporting these people, and in turn, can have even more money taken away because people vote for what is best for them.
I am not implying that EVERYONE on welfare behaves as such, but merely outlining the flaws in the system, and concept.

Source: http://scottystarnes.files.wordpress.com...
jvava

Pro

The main reason a majority of welfare recipients are receiving federal funds is because of how the government spends money and dictates economic policy. For instance, if a tax was placed on an industry, and that industry had to let go of employees, then some of those unemployed people would seek federal assistance. Now, seeing and knowing the effect of tax hikes on that industry, the welfare recipient can now vote for the candidate that promises to erase or eliminate that tax.

What I am trying to get across is that folks on welfare suffer because of the way the government runs this country - and they have a right to vote the opposite.

And yes, politicians do promise to extend welfare benefits. But, obviously, a man or woman cannot be elected with just the vote of welfare recipients - they must receive a majority of the vote from everyone.

Percent of the US population on welfare 4.1 %

I pulled this from http://www.statisticbrain.com....

If a majority of the people want to extend welfare benefits, than they can vote for that candidate.

I am simply trying to state that a candidate cannot win with just the welfare vote - he/she must win with a majority from everyone. And if a majority decides to elect this candidate, then it is fair. You may think it is unfair that you are working hard while a welfare recipient isn't, but a majority of people may not.

Welfare recipients should not have to sacrifice their constitutional right to vote based simply that they receive government assistance.
OutOftheBlue

Con

OutOftheBlue forfeited this round.
jvava

Pro

Too bad, my opponent forfeited.

Anyways, I extend my arguments into this round. I hope that my opponent can respond and we can continue on with debate.
OutOftheBlue

Con

OutOftheBlue forfeited this round.
jvava

Pro

Extend my arguments.
OutOftheBlue

Con

OutOftheBlue forfeited this round.
jvava

Pro

People that recieve federal assistance should be able to vote, plain and simple.

Vote for the debater who argued in every round, and who's argument is more logical.
Vote Placed by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
OutOftheBluejvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Originally I would have been a little more tie, since con seems to make an interesting point on welfare recipients in regards to voting. A lot of welfare users do indeed abuse the system. However what could have been interesting wasn't because con forfeited.