christina21
Brendanrox12

Should people with a mental illness be hospitalized?

christina21

Con

Should people with a mental illness be hospitalized? They already feel bad about having a disorder it would make them feel worse if they are hospitalized. Plus people don't understand people with these kinds of disorders. It's scientifically proven if people with these disorders feel better if they are around family. But on the other hand they can be a danger to others and themselves if they are not in a hospital. And they can help get over there illness better. So should these people be put into a hospital? I am against that all the way. I believe mental disorders are caused by fear. And we are afraid of them and they are afraid of us. We need to understand what caused these disorders by talking to them and understanding them. Not locking them up. Because when you lock them up they feel misunderstood. We should also accept them. Understanding is the door fear is the lock acceptance is the key behind it is peace. These people should be watched How would you feel if you were locked up?
Brendanrox12

Pro

I wish us both luck in this debate.
Here is the BOP:
Mental Illness- a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.
Hospitalize- to place in a hospital for medical care or observation.

I believe that people with mental illnesses should be hospitalized. It would be very beneficial for the afflicted persons to remain in a hospital under constant supervision. If an emergency situation occurred, help would be there immediately, rather than 15 minutes away. Also, patients would be able to befriend other patients in similar circumstances, and family could visit everyday. Having friends nearby and family that visits often will make the patient feel at home. My opponent asserted that mental illness is caused by fear. However, it is known that mental illnesses are caused by genetics, toxins in the womb, and imbalances in the brain chemistry [1] In conclusion, afflicted people should be hospitalized.

[1] http://goo.gl...
christina21

Con

christina21 forfeited this round.
Brendanrox12

Pro

It seems as though my opponent has forfeited round two, so I will continue this argument myself.
Mental illness is a very unique kind of illness. It needs to be treated in special ways, sometimes not just with medication. Supervision is a must when dealing with victims of mental illness. Depending on the diagnosis, many different problems can arise by accident due to the patient's disease. Therefore these patients need the care and supervision of a nurse so that these problems due not arise, or they can be deftly dealt with in a succinct manner.
christina21

Con

christina21 forfeited this round.
Brendanrox12

Pro

Brendanrox12 forfeited this round.
Posted by rethaluious 2 years ago
rethaluious
'They already feel bad about having a disorder it would make them feel worse if they are hospitalized.'

Well they wouldn't feel good about not being hospitalized either. If they don't seek medical attention worst things could happen.