Should people with terminal illnesses have the right to doctor assisted suicide?

It states in the Bible not to end your life before your time in Ecleaseasties 7:17.

It will ruin doctors reputations, a doctors purpose is to help people and make the sick well.

Doctors make the wrong diagnosis 10 to 15 percent of the time, studdies show.

God does miracles. He loves you.

If a person knows that they are going to die soon, then why would you want to prolong the inevitable?

Allowing a doctor to take away their suffering by letting them go is what needs to be done sometimes. I know I would not want to keep on living if I was going to be in pain for the rest of my life.

How would the person know they are going to die? The doctor tells them, correct? 10 to 15 percent of the time doctors make the wrong diagnosis. What If the pain is only temporary, If the doctor was wrong and you will live? Then you committed suicide for nothing and baisicly threw away your life. Suicide may seem like the only way out, but it's not. Suicide is the easy way out. Fighting for your life is what should be done. Ever heard of miracles? They happen every day left and right, God wants to heal you, but sometimes you try to take control and think you can "help God". What if he was going to heal you and you were to ignorant to just hear His voice, you didn't give Him time to work in your life and do miracles? Suicide may seem like your ending the pain, but if you don't know Jesus, the pain goes to a whole new level when you die.

I believe that once you have received bad news of the medical side you should have the right to choose how you live the rest of your life. If you choose to end it then it is up to the person and not anybody else.

Not everybody wants to fight for their life is they are going to be in constant pain.

I am not sure what believing on God has to do with an illness being healed.

The doctor and the patient are two different people. Say someone found out their diagnosis and wanted to commit suicide, couldn't they do that on their own means? Why do they need to have the doctor involved? They don't. Then, that's just like murder. You don't think helping someone murder themselves is wrong? And trusting in God has everything to do with this. It's says in Psalms 107:19-21 "19 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. 20 He sent forth his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave. 21 Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men." if you put your trust in God, He will heal you and take away your illness.

Having the choice to die how you want should be left up to the person who has that decision to make. Why should somebody else tell them how to live the rest of their life?

No I don't think that a doctor helping someone end their life by choice is wrong. As I have said before it is the person's decision not anybody else.

You are just stating your opinion multiple times and have nothing else to say, therefore your opinion is an invalid argument. We are not taking away the choice of suicide from them. If they really wanted to, they could commit suicide on your own means. There is no need to get the doctor involved.

"As such, it should be recognized that "patients have a right to make their own decisions to preserve free choice and human dignity: this right includes the right to choose assisted suicide" (Ersek 48)." (1)

As I have been saying this whole time, people have the right to choose how they want to go about this decision. So why not let a doctor do it? There is no reason why they cannot do this.

Some people might not be physically capable of doing this on their own and therefore would need a doctor to do it for them. It is not like somebody who is paralyzed can jump off a cliff or something like that.

It would be cruel for us to make somebody live a pained or otherwise not full life just because we can"t get over the fact that they want a doctor to end their suffering.

"60% [of physicians] agreed that physician-assisted suicide should be legal in some cases." Even doctors agree that this should be an option for people. When you have a doctor that is willing to help you, I would think that you would want this option. If you are not going to have a full life then it should be your choice to do what you will.

i just wrote an essay about doctor assisted suicide.

Should I be the one to decide if I live or die? Who am I to say my life is over? When too much power is given, things almost always turn for the worst.

In the states Oregon, Washington, Montana and Vermont Physician-Assisted suicide (PAS) or Death With Dignity is legal. If you didn't know what PAS or Death With Dignity is, it is "knowingly and intentionally providing a person with six months or less to live, the knowledge or means or both required to commit suicide, including counselling about lethal doses of drugs, prescribing such lethal doses or supplying the drugs." Do you think that is what God would want from us? I do not support PAS because it goes against the bible, the doctor should not be involved because it is not his purpose, and it goes against the Hippocratic Oath. Don't you think God has a much better ending for us than suicide?

For it says in Ecclesiastes 7:17 "Be not over much wicked, neither be you foolish: why should you die before your time?" In this Godless society, almost anything is accepted. Gay marriage, abortion, and now even suicide. Suicide may seem the only possible way of escaping pain, but I promise you it is not.

Brittany Maynard was an American woman with grade 4 astrocytoma, a terminal cancer. In June 2014 the doctors gave her six months to live. Brittany was afraid, she did not want to spend her last moments on earth suffering. From June 2014 to November 2014 she took vacations and trips all around the country to see all of the beautiful earth before she passed, and complete her "bucket list". Brittany said she would end her life with an overdose of doctor prescribed drugs "when the time seems right." It is sad to say that Brittany thought the time was right on November 1, 2014. She committed suicide in her home with all her loved ones around her.

Before Brittany died, she stated," Who has the right to tell me I don't deserve this choice? That I deserve to suffer tremendous amounts of physical and emotional pain? Why should anyone have the right to make that choice for me?" If she did not have the option of Death With Dignity, would she have survived? Would God have made an unbelievable miracle? What if it was God's plan to heal her? Your fate and your life should not be in your control. You and everything you are should be in God's hands. In Luke 12:22-25 it says "Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?"

Brittany's pain could have been temporary, she took the easy way out and ended her life. Fear took her. Brittany also said she did not deserve to suffer, but do you think that's what Jesus said? Jesus died a horrific death so she could be healed, and she didn't even give him a chance to heal her. The sad part is, she thought she was escaping pain, but if she didn't know The Lord, in hell, her pain is in a whole new level.

On Brittany's death certificate, the cause of death is stated as brain tumor, not suicide. Brittany said "I am not killing myself, cancer is killing me." The devil is taking over lives and filling them with lies, slowly, one by one.

Now many doctors are supporting this terrible act. Doctors are meant to save lives, not end them. God's purpose for a doctor was to restore health, and prolong lives. The definition of a doctor is "a qualified practitioner of medicine; a physician." The definition of suicide is "the action of killing oneself intentionally." The two are not related in any way and never should be. A doctor is someone who has a degree and is able to treat someone. Suicide is not a treatment. The best things in life you have to fight for, health is one of those things.

One of a doctors purposes is to prolong health. Someone might say "why would you want to prolong the inevitable?" Death is inevitable. Your saying, I should just kill myself because I am going to die someday anyways? I should not eat because I am going to die anyways? Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Since 1997 when Death With Dignity was legalized, about 750 people have committed suicide by PAS. Why do they need to commit suicide by PAS? Can't they not do it on their own means? Why do they need the doctor involved? There is nothing preventing them from comitting suicide without the doctor. The doctor and the patient are two different people, and the doctor should not be involved in another persons death. Now they are manipulating the doctor and making them a asset in murder. Many people do not realize it, but helping a person murder themselves is wrong. If PAS becomes legal in all fifty states, it will devalue human life.

PAS goes against the Hippocratic Oath. Hippocrates (one of the most outstanding figures in the history of medicine) stated "The doctor must do everything in his power to save lives, preserve health, or at least alleviate the pain" The oath also says "I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect". Does the act of assisted suicide sound like saving lives to you? Hippocrates is the father of medicine, most outstanding physician in all of human history, no doctor should have the right to defy his oath.

The Hippocratic Oath is standard guard lines for all doctors, and they are not to go against it. It requires a new physician to swear to uphold specific ethical standards. If every physician has sworn upon this oath, and supports and is an asset it PAS, then he is going against his word. Now, not only does it take lives away, it takes a mans word away from him. He has sworn to this oath and now he is going against it.

In Numbers 30:1-2 it says "Moses spoke to the heads of the tribes of the people of Israel, saying, "This is what the Lord has commanded. If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth." PAS goes against the Bible in multiple ways. God does not want this from His people. I would not want to end my life early, I want to hear God say "well done my good and faithful servant."

LatinaGirl8894 forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
There is no such thing as a terminal illness in the bible that the covenant will not heal.Pralms 103:3 says just as plain, God heals ALL diseases. IF you do not forget the benefit of being in his covenant.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: I didn't find either side particularly convincing until the 4th round. In the 4th round, Pro made a referenced argument showing that doctors wouldn't mind assisting in suicide, but this wasn't all that relevant to the debate. What was relevant, however, was Pro rebutting Con's argument of (words to effect) 'why don't people just kill themselves if they want to die?', with, "Some people might not be physically capable of doing this on their own and therefore would need a doctor to do it for them". Con never responded to this great argument, instead he/she ranted gave examples of assisted suicide and ranted about God. Conduct goes to Con for Pro's last round forfeit.