xXStereotypicalXx
cole.bonds

Should pet snakes be illegal?

xXStereotypicalXx has forfeited round #3.

xXStereotypicalXx

Con

Snakes are the most popular reptile to own. They are actually quite tolerant, and don't bite much. Sure-There are people who buy snakes and don't take care of them but it's the same with any-and I mean ANY pet. There are more bites and deaths from dogs than snakes, any year. Snakes are fine as pets, and are actually great if you don't want a lot of noise. They are pretty cheap if you get a normal morph, and the equipment is limited.
cole.bonds

Pro

Hello, xXStereotypicalXx, and good luck.

Let's begin:

I'm not arguing that a snake shouldn't be kept as a pet because of the dangers of it, I'm arguing that it shouldn't be kept as a pet because it is an exotic animal that is meant to be in the wild since they are not domesticated.

"There are more bites and deaths from dogs than snakes, any year."

Assuming you live in America, this is because more Americans own a dog than own a snake. 60.2 million Americans own a dog, while only 4.7 million people that own a reptile. If this was switched around, I'm sure there would be more snake bites a year than dog bites. By the way, where is your evidence/citations for this statement?

https://www.iii.org...

"Snakes are fine as pets, and are actually great if you don't want a lot of noise. They are pretty cheap if you get a normal morph, and the equipment is limited."

We aren't discussing whether buying a snake is a good deal or not, we are discussing whether keeping one as a pet should be legal or not.

Keeping any wild, exotic animal, such as a snake, should not be legal, because wild, exotic animals are meant to be in the wild, and not held captive as a pet. Exotic animals like the snake can carry diseases such as rabies with them, putting the environment and society in danger. Not only that, but keeping exotic animals as a pet is cruel. Do you think they would prefer to stay in a tank or a cage most of their life, or do you think they would prefer being free in the wild? For these reasons, snakes or any exotic animal being kept as a pet should be illegal.
xXStereotypicalXx

Con

I see your point. Some snakes are wild caught and yes, I am against that. Captive born snakes will not have known the forest. Snakes also only need a tank that they can stretch their whole body through. For your evidence, I used https://www.dogsbite.org..., https://www.caninejournal.com..., and http://animals.mom.me....

There are people who take care of snakes, as a profession and a hobby. They are often great pet owners, and treat them well. There are some snakes, large, majorly venomous snakes for example, that should require a permit for. Again, there are quite a few captive born snakes and they have not experienced a 'forest'. With the right care, a snake can live just as happily as it can in the wild. It actually lives up to 10-12 years longer. In the wild your average snake can live 6-8 years, and in captivity they can live 15-20 years. Some exotic animals should be illegal to own without a permit, such as monkeys.

Overall, I get all of your points. Snakes can live perfectly happy lives. They are just the same as dogs, who were domesticated to be pets. Over generations, snakes will become happy with living in tanks. If they are given the right care-They can live better lives in our own homes than in the wild.
cole.bonds

Pro

Thank you for your response.

"I see your point. Some snakes are wild caught and yes, I am against that. Captive born snakes will not have known the forest."

Well, nowhere did you make these statements in neither the title nor the first round. From what I can tell, your argument was basically that pet snakes should be legal. You did not provide any details/specifics as to whether or not you argue a pet snake should be captive-born or caught from the wild. If I would have known you were referring to captive-born snakes, I most likely wouldn't have accepted your debate. Therefore, since you cannot change your original argument, my previous argument still stands. Although, I will still point out flaws in your argument.

"With the right care, a snake can live just as happily as it can in the wild. It actually lives up to 10-12 years longer. In the wild your average snake can live 6-8 years, and in captivity they can live 15-20 years."

Where is your evidence/citations for these statements? Twice you have failed to provide sources after making a factual statement.

"Some exotic animals should be illegal to own without a permit, such as monkeys."

Why is a monkey any different from a snake? In your case, wouldn't it be okay if it was captive-born? If not, what was the purpose in making this point?

To reiterate my previous argument, wild, exotic animals such as snakes should not be kept as a pet for two main reasons. Snakes are not domesticated and belong in the wild; it is cruel to keep one captive in a tank for it's entire lifetime. Also, snakes can pose a threat to society and the environment by carrying diseases such as rabies. For these reasons, it would be better for both species, humans and snakes, if the snakes were to be kept in the wild where they belong.

I would agree with you that keeping captive-born snakes as pets should stay legal, but due to the lack of provided details, I thought you were referring to snakes in general.