rebeccarenner111
cocohead781

Should pet stores be allowed to sell animals?

rebeccarenner111

Con

I think that pet stores should not be allowed to sell animals. They get their animals from puppy mills, which are cruel and inhumane breeding centers where the animals there lack medical care, are left in stacked wired cages, are fed dirty food and water, and do not get the touch of a human. Animal shelters are much better options. Pet stores keep getting puppies from these puppy mills.
cocohead781

Pro

I accept your challenge and look forward to a good debate! For this round I will only be rebutting your statements.

Point 1:

Con: I think that pet stores should not be allowed to sell animals.
Pro: The profit Margin is already so slim for pet stores [1].

Point 2:

Con: They get their animals from puppy mills, which are cruel and inhumane breeding centers where the animals there lack medical care, are left in stacked wired cages, are fed dirty food and water, and do not get the touch of a human.
Pro: Did you know that only 14 states don't have any licensing laws? [2]

Point 3:

Con: Animal shelters are much better options.
Pro: For the bigger players, the cost of getting a puppy from a shelter is too high and they will push that cost onto the end consumer. Ones near my home are very expensive. Besides, most don't raise pups!

Point 4:

Con: Pet stores keep getting puppies from these puppy mills.
Pro: Of course they do. Now to the voters I'm not the Inhumane Society Hater; I do think puppy mills are bad. They should raise the puppy's standards of living. Now, this isn't about what the debate is about, it is about if animal shelters should or shouldn't sell animals. I stand by stores that do sell animals.

With that, I push the burden of answering onto my opponent.

1. http://smallbusiness.chron.com...
2. https://www.bing.com...
rebeccarenner111

Con

Just to rebut your argument of animal shelters being expensive: when adopting an animal from a shelter, it does not cost any money. It is the pet stores where one must pay for their dog. Dogs can cost as much as $2000 at pet stores while when adopting a dog, the person does not have to pay anything. That is a perk of adopting.

Also, the argument that many shelters do not raise puppies does not seem valid to me as an animal rights activist. When I adopted my animal, him being a puppy was not in my brain. What ran through my mind was saving a dog that really needs a home, which to people who REALLY care for animals should be the most important factor.

About how you mentioned puppy mills are not in the argument, I do think it is a very important reason for why pet stores should not be allowed to sell animals. Since these puppy mills are so cruel and inhumane, why should they still be allowed to sell their pups to these stores? This is where puppy mills is a very important factor. I do not think that stores whose puppies' parents can contain fatal injuries and lack the human touch should be continued. Since there are over 7.9 million dogs that enter shelters every year, why should these stores be allowed to inhumanely keep breeding puppies when so many dogs already are in need of a home?

I suppose my arguments, though to contain facts, are a matter of my morals as a dog-lover. I do not think humans should be allowed to punish poor dogs so much just so that they can have a pet. Adoption is free and lacks the horrific puppy mill past which is why I think it is the better option, and pet stores should not be allowed to sell animals if there is such a cruel agenda in getting them.
cocohead781

Pro

Now, let me get something cleared up. This whole debate is about if pet stores should be able to sell animals. We aren't debating if puppy mills are bad. They are. I do agree that puppy mills should be banned. If puppy mills are banned, doesn't that mean that they have to get them from shelters anyways?

So , for recap, your question is Should pet stores be allowed to sell animals? not Should puppy mills be banned?

--
For rebuttal:

Con: Just to rebut your argument of animal shelters being expensive: when adopting an animal from a shelter, it does not cost any money. It is the pet stores where one must pay for their dog. Dogs can cost as much as $2000 at pet stores while when adopting a dog, the person does not have to pay anything. That is a perk of adopting
Pro: Using the powers of logic; wouldn't that mean that all shelters will go out of business? Donations aren't enough to keep a company afloat.

Con: Also, the argument that many shelters do not raise puppies does not seem valid to me as an animal rights activist. When I adopted my animal, him being a puppy was not in my brain. What ran through my mind was saving a dog that really needs a home, which to people who REALLY care for animals should be the most important factor.
Pro: Thanks for letting me know that shelters raise and house dogs.

Con: About how you mentioned puppy mills are not in the argument, I do think it is a very important reason for why pet stores should not be allowed to sell animals. Since these puppy mills are so cruel and inhumane, why should they still be allowed to sell their pups to these stores? This is where puppy mills is a very important factor. I do not think that stores whose puppies' parents can contain fatal injuries and lack the human touch should be continued. Since there are over 7.9 million dogs that enter shelters every year, why should these stores be allowed to inhumanely keep breeding puppies when so many dogs already are in need of a home?
Pro: Like what I said above, This isn't about puppy mills. This is just simply about if pet stores should be able to sell pets.

--
Now, I will share with you my point.

Even as although a lot of dogs are raised in puppy mills, this conversation isn't about that. Once puppy mills are outlawed not only in the US but in the World, then the corrupt setting will be gone. If there is no puppy mills in the world, then stores will sell puppies well-made. Thanks

--
Voters and my Opponent, as we enter round 3, keep in mind the real question. Thanks!
--
rebeccarenner111

Con

Yes, this argument is about whether or not pet stores should be allowed to sell animals, not about puppy mills. I am simply using the puppy mill facts as an argument for WHY pet stores should not be allowed to sell animals. My argument is that until there can be a kinder way of doing so, selling these puppies is only promoting cruelty.

Pro: Using the powers of logic, wouldn't that mean that all shelters will go out of business? Donations aren't enough to keep a company afloat.
Con: Well, it is a simple fact that adopting a dog is free. That is what makes a difference between adoption and buying. So, yes, donations do keep these adoptions afloat, but because of this is why some shelters have to put down their animals- because they do not receive enough donations to keep all animals. This is a huge problem. But the argument that animal shelters are too expensive is invalid because animal shelters are non-profit organizations.

At the end of your argument you mentioned that if there were no puppy mills, and these dogs are well-made, then that will allow better pet stores. However, I think that before we breed more and more puppies we should first find homes for the dogs who are in need of a home in shelters, being that these dogs in some cases must be put down, or will miserably live the rest of their life in a shelter.

Thanks!
cocohead781

Pro

cocohead781 forfeited this round.
Posted by Kyle_the_Heretic 1 year ago
Kyle_the_Heretic
I don't know where Con adopted his free animal, but it cost me a $175.00 to adopt my dog, and my wife paid $150.00 to adopt the cat. Then we paid close to another $300.00 for shots, spaying, etc.

Where are these free animals?