Prof.Asteroid
LaughItUpLydia

Should philosophers debate over our purpose

LaughItUpLydia

Prof.Asteroid

Con

Should philosophers be arguing over our purpose or focusing on other things, I think it should be other matters.
LaughItUpLydia

Pro

We cannot know the reason we are living each and every day unless we know our purpose, so I believe we should take every available step towards knowing the cause for existence. Therefore it is most definitely necessary for philosophers to debate over our purpose. I am not generalizing because I do not think ALL philosophers should be ebating over our purpose; instead it is a choice for the philosopher's job. Don't we all contemplate the issue of our purpose? Since philosophers mostly know more about the topic, it is safe to assume they are good--or even the best--at debating over our purpose and over why we humans are here.
Prof.Asteroid

Con

There's a promblem though, weve been trying to understand this for thousands of years and we havn't even grasped the idea of it. And even if it was discovered would we even be able to handle it, or could it result in multiple civil and world wars. Lets face it, when people don't understand something their usually afraid of it.
LaughItUpLydia

Pro

Yet there has been a great amount of advancements in the origin of the universe [1], the ethics of our existence [2], and the overall purpose of each individual humans' lives. Without people like Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Epicurus, John Locke, Zeno of Citium, Avicenna, Thomas Aquinas, Confucius, and Rene Descartes, we wouldn't have the knowledge we have now. In fact, most everbody's moralities nowadays are based on the teachings of influencial people such as those listed above.

"When people don't understand something their usually afraid of it." This is false, and the fact that it is false proves my point. BECAUSE philosophers have previously always tended to debate our purpose (which we don't fully understand), they are not actually afraid of the subject. This is in fact another reason that philosophers should remain debating our purpose.

Prof.Asteroid

Con

Prof.Asteroid forfeited this round.
LaughItUpLydia

Pro

I remain my stance as Pro. Sadly I didn't have much of a competition.

But thank you for instigating, Professor Asteroid!!! :)
Posted by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
Our purpose? expand more on that. What's our purpose?
Vote Placed by Kylar 2 years ago
Kylar
Prof.AsteroidLaughItUpLydiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agreed with pro before and after, conduct goes to pro due to forefitures, and spelling and grammar and arguments to pro, arguments to pro and sources to pro