sashanp1
DNehlsen

Should physical education be required for middle schoolers?

DNehlsen

sashanp1

Pro

I believe Physical education should be required for ALL middle schoolers. Why?... Well I believe that it can help take numbers of obese children down. Now I know I am only 12 but I care. Where I go to school now it is only required for 6th and 7th but I think 8th needs to be included in that too.
DNehlsen

Con

Studies have shown that about one third of all middle schoolers and high schoolers are obese or at the very least overweight. I think everybody can be in agreement that this is a bad number, and it should in no manner be so high. Obesity and excess weight lead to other health issues, social bullying and problems, and in most cases continued obesity throughout ones life. The solution, however, I do not believe it is through the means of physical education. Physical Education is, by definition 'instruction in physical exercise and games, especially in schools.' The thing that worries me about this definition is its' emphasis on exercise, and games. Weight loss and health is primarily diet. Some of the healthiest people I know have never touched a gym in their life, but they know how to diet properly and therefore can maintain an ideal weight.

I think that we should definitely improve our education standards in the area of nutrition, and I wouldn't even be opposed to making a class on it mandatory. However, this does not need to take 6th, 7th and 8th grade to do. To educate someone on how to properly manage their diet could be done in a single semester of a single year, as is what my school did for me.
Vote Placed by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
sashanp1DNehlsenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had way more convincing arguments though physical education is not just gym classes, it's also healthy food education. Pro could have fixed this error by providing a definition.