Should pie be banned in the U.S

Pie is unhealthy and it is just annoying it should be banned in the U.S to lower obesity rate and lower annoyance of children talking about it.

In short, trying to ban pies, would be like trying to ban food entirely.
It's not like pies are evil...

Pie should not be banned. First of all, regulation to enforce said ban would be nearly impossible; and to prevent recidivism you'd need to punish pie-cooks on level with meth-cooks. Also you'd need to remove the availability of required ingredients, which as pie is chiefly defined by the shell, requires a ban on flour. Given the number of flour substitutes (almond meal for starters), ingratiates that could be used as filling would have to be sought out and destroyed as well.

"Pie is unhealthy"
This has not been proven. The human body requires fuel, which is a role pie is suitable to fill.

"it is just annoying"
This has not been proven. Even if children talk about it, [see food argument above].

"lower obesity rate"
I concede this point. Starving everyone to death, would lower the prevalence of obesity.

You know that pie does not mean anything to a lot of people and isn't as popular as cake etc. they should just remove it so it will be gone from American Society!

Pro has ignored my case from last round, so extend... As for this round, pro's two premises, do not equate to the conclusion.

"they should just remove it so it will be gone from American Society!"
America is a melting pot nation of many cultures, who would of course not willingly give up their heritage.

"pie does not mean anything to a lot of people"
If meant nothing, there would be no reason to ban it.

"[pie] isn't as popular as cake"
Yet for reasons explored last round (flour), a ban on pies would be even more detrimental to cake availability than pie itself. It takes a relatively small amount of flour to make a pie, but a large amount to make a cake.

Also (incoming fallacy) the same line of reasoning, was used by Hitler. One group at a time they removed the less popular ones, trying to leave only the most popular one. It is like that quote from death camp survivor Martin Niemöller
  • "First they came for the [Pie], and I did not speak out—

Because I [did] not [like pie].

Then they came for the [Pizza], and I did not speak out—
    Because I [did] not [like pizza-pie either].

Then they came for the [Black Forest cake], and I did not speak out—
    Because I [did] not [like the pie-like fruit filling between layers].

Then they came for [my chocolate birthday cake with sprinkles]—and there was no one left to speak for me."

How long until the the only tolerated foodstuff is flourless Angel Food cake?

Pie is just horrible and there is no point for it so it needs to be gone it is stupid.

"Pie is just horrible"
Have you had a bad experience with a pie or something? [cue first YouTube video]

"there is no point for it so it needs to be gone"
The point has been proven, to feed people. No counter proposal of anything else to eat has been offered.

"it is stupid."
While it is more intellegent than some people I've met, I will concede this point, as it remains utterly lacking in brain cells.

In conclusion [cue second YouTube video].
Posted by really12 1 year ago
MrAmazingDuck: "pie doesn't mean a lot to many people and is not as popular as cake".

That sounds like a socialist statement to me, what about pecan pie from Georgia? Or all the famous home recipes from the southern states?
Posted by really12 1 year ago

Statistically speaking, pie isn't responsible for obesity, fast food, poor lifestyle, binge eating is.
Posted by bluesteel 1 year ago
>Reported vote: dexterbeagle // Moderation action: Removed<

7 points to Con. {RFD = Reasons for voting decision: Con pursued the debate well beyond the point that was required but the fact that even in the final round he managed to continue to the debate with clips, arguments, etc justifies providing all 7 points. Pro made a couple of statements about pie being annoying and obesity and little else.}

[*Reason for Removal*] Strategic vote. This RFD only justifies voting on arguments. You can"t award the other point categories just because Con was *way* better than Pro on arguments. The actual categories (sources, S&G, and conduct) have to be justified. This is the definition of a strategic vote: wanting your vote to count for more than the 3 points Con actually merited.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Thanks for the debate. I suggest next time either pointing out the extent of my fallacies, or bringing on the comedy yourself.
Posted by MrAmazingDuck 1 year ago
Pro is gonna win no doubt about that
Posted by tcutshaw2 1 year ago
Con has this in the bag.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: By the end of the debate, none of Pro's one or two line arguments stood, largely due to a lot of Pro's arguments being bare assertions (e.g. "pie is just horrible") and Con treating them as such. Therefore, the resolution was never affirmed, thus a vote for Con is appropriate.