Eselknabbern
henryajevans

Should police officers be forced to have a go pro camera on at all times?

Eselknabbern

Con

My city has voted on the notion that police officers should have to wear a camera at all times and all of the footage be publicly available. I do not agree with this. Sometimes when a possible suspect has or is in the process been apprehended, desperate action needs to be taken. Everyone has a different perception of everything and I believe that they may view the videos with biased opinions and report them. When an officer, for example, gets on top of someone and holds them to the ground, they are merely trying to stop them from getting up until they can be cuffed. To a biased viewer who may be against the police force, they may see this as an unnecessary attack upon the indiviudal. If reported, the police officer may either be suspended or expelled from the force whilst simply trying to do their job.
henryajevans

Pro

Rebuttals

'Sometimes when a possible suspect has or is in the process been apprehended, desperate action needs to be taken.'

So what you're saying is: Sometimes the law must be broken in order to uphold it.

This is a fallacy, since breaking the law nullifies it in the process.

One cannot pretend to uphold and enforce the law and break it at the same time. Practices such as this must cease, and cameras are a step towards rectifying them.

'I believe that they may view the videos with biased opinions and report them.'

If the videos can be viewed by people, they can be given both sides, and then make a decision based on the evidence as opposed to it being the officer's word against the suspect's.

The public have the right to know what law enforcement officers do while they are in the service. Only then can they prevent corruption, racial profiling and police brutality.
Eselknabbern

Con

Eselknabbern forfeited this round.
henryajevans

Pro

I'll wait for con to put forward more arguments against it.
Eselknabbern

Con

Eselknabbern forfeited this round.
henryajevans

Pro

Vote Pro!
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 3 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
Well, it would make for a cool movie eventually or better episodes of Cops, but I'm not sure those are justifiable reasons.