ashsturdivant
pserrano18

Should police officers be required to wear body cameras?

ashsturdivant

Pro

I believe police officers should in fact be required to wear body cameras. Body cameras will help keep track of what's going on when they pull someone over/are in the process of arresting them and it will more than likely keep them from going overboard with citizens as well as keep citizens from being violent with them. Just think about how many deaths within the past two years ALONE could have been prevented or AT LEAST held the police officers accountable (or found them to actually be innocent) had they been wearing a body camera. So many of the cases within the last two years still don't add up to the general public therefore installing these cameras on each officer will not only aid the officer's account but it will also help society regain their trust within the ones employed to serve and protect us.
pserrano18

Con

Having police officers and sheriffs be forced to wear body cameras is in my opinion a waste of time and money. Police officers and sheriffs have taken an oath to defend the constitution against foreign and domestic enemies. As a citizen of the United States it is my duty to respects all laws appointed over me. Requiring police officers and sheriffs to wear a body cameras would be a waste. Think about how much money we have to pay into taxes to provided these cameras to every police department across the United States to include and territory and commonwealth of the United States. If we provide body cameras to local police and sheriff, that would also mean that we would have provide it to the U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Park Police, F.B.I., C.I.A., all Military Branches, Customs and Border Patrol, Immigration Officers, and even Court Officers. Providing all of this officers, whether local or federal, will require all American citizen to pay higher taxes. I believe that police officer should not be required to wear body cameras.
ashsturdivant

Pro

Police officers wearing body cams will benefit everyone including officers. I would understand the argument that it'll be a bit more costly for taxpayers however, I have many issues with the statement that they would be a waste of money for taxpayers. One issue I have with that is that there are so many examples where a body camera could've helped a case come to an end much faster. Take Freddie Gray's case for example, a situation where 6 different officers clearly went overboard in the amount of force they used because they ended up severing his spine and killing him. That incident occurred LAST YEAR April and while it was said last year May that his death was ruled a homicide, the 6 officers are still on trial. If you ask me, THAT is a waste of money; had there been body cameras on each officer, I'm sure the case would've been closed from last year at the least. Also, whenever a lot of these incidents occur, the family of the victim gets paid hundreds of thousands (even millions) of dollars just to get the officer to walk without being penalized. While the family deserves the money, the reason WHY it's given to them isn't right and those dollars could also be saved with more evidence from body cameras. I understand that government officials take an oath but it seems as though they are just letting any trigger-happy, internally angry individual on to the force these days; there have been way too many cases of rotten apples (officers) spoiling it for the rest. With these body cameras, there should be a set of strict rules and protocol to keep certain situations concealed but as you say, if one needs body cameras, then maybe the others do too.
pserrano18

Con

It is absolutely terrible that American citizens are dying by the hands of police officer, I do agree that there officers that rotten apples. But you do have to agree that there are also citizens that are rotten apples. In the sense of money, this would actually force departments to cut some of their police officer. which also means that now families would be affected by this cuts in employment which will also bring the unemployment rate of those counties and states. With these body cameras, the government would have to find a company that would actually take the time to build these cameras. Depending on the company that is willing to build these company we have to also take into consideration how much they charge the government. We both know that amount is not coming out of the pockets of these politicians but my pockets, your pocket and our families pockets. Would you rather have families become homeless to included the children or would you rather have a job with pay cuts to please the citizens? We have to remember that all officers to include federal officer have taken that oat of service and protection of all foreign and domestic crime. Do you believe that it is actually the police officers committed these crimes? I don't know about you but when a police officer is called he/she is called for a issues that is occurring. I also believe that stop and frisk implemented again. this program actually helps the counties, cities and state from any and every attack against its citizens.
ashsturdivant

Pro

Police officers do take an oath to protect and serve but in many instances, it doesn't seem as though they remember that. The sooner we can implement officers wearing body cameras as a part of their required uniform, the better things will be among society and law enforcement. In discussing the cost, each camera unit could be as much as $1,200 which is a little pricey but it's worth it. You forget that we already have the body cameras implemented in certain states and counties and so far studies have shown that there has been less violence (upon contact with an officer on both ends) AND there have been much fewer complaints of officer misconduct. Essentially I feel that those two factors alone show how much we need these cameras installed. Even if it means only installing the cameras on certain officers (like the ones with the most complaints of misconduct) or installing them on new officers to see how they do AND re-train the older ones. Regardless of the approach, having body cameras on cops is a great idea and it should be spread further throughout the country. Being that some states already have officers wearing them, it's clear that they found a company to create the gear so that won't be a problem. Also, since it's only SOME officers wearing cameras at the moment and not ALL, that shows that the F.B.I, C.I.A, U.S. Secret Services and all other military forces that you named don't HAVE to wear body cameras. If that does in fact become a topic of discussion when considering these body cameras, then they'll just have to formulate a tactic that compensates police officers, military forces AND citizens.
pserrano18

Con

You mentioned that it would cost $1,200.00 for each body camera. Lets figure out the numbers. There are currently 46,620 police officers in the NYPD. If we were to give every NYPD officer a body camera we would spend a total of $55,944,000. 55 million dollars, let that sink in a little. Imagine all of that just to provide for a body camera. Yes I understand that there a issue with police officer abusing their authority, but don't you think that citizens do the same? Is it ok to basically tell the police officer to "f off" because they feel its ok? At the end of the day that officer has a job to complete. Is it really that much of a bother to just comply with the police officers demands or when being questioned about a certain situation. We have to consider that even police officer are also scared when pulling someone over because of a traffic violation, or searching a victim of a suspicious act, or just patrolling an area he/she is not familiar with. We have to put ourselves in the shoes of police officers and think about our own safety as well. As mentioned above, requiring police officer to wear body cameras is a smart safe choice but its also a very expensive choices as well.