Should polygamy in Mitt Romney's family be an issue?

I am saying it should be.........
RD 1 accept only

Accepted. Please give me a more straightforward resolution in your opening argument.

It is very simple Romney came from a family that practices polygamy and his values are that of a polygamist. A member of a incestuous polygamist family has no right to be the leader of our great nation.

I'm not 100% sure if that is your entire opening argument, but I will just assume that it is to continue with the debate.

Based off my opponent's opening argument, it is quite easy to tell that my opponent thinks that polygamy is a very bad thing; so bad, in fact, that it seems to corrupt all other aspects of morality, making a polygamist immoral across the board. It is for this reason that my opponent thinks that anyone who has a family history of polygamy (even if this person has no idea of this history) is unfit to be President of the United States.

The very article that my opponent linked to in Round 1 stated that Obama also has a family history of polygamy [1]. Do you think there is evidence of Obama having the same values as a polygamist (and for some reason, that makes him unfit to be the President of the United States)? Absolutely not, and here's why:

Morality is not genetic.

There is no such thing as morality passed down through genetics, and there isn't anyone trying to make a credible argument for such a thing [2]. Morality is, in fact, a result of social experiences that give someone the ability to determine that something is right or wrong. The makeup of a person's morality is determined by what they have learned to be right and wrong while they were growing up, and these values could be instilled in that person. Take polygamy, for example. Children who grow up learning that men only have one wife learn that marriage is a socially acceptable custom. On the other hand, children who grow up in communities where polygamy is accepted and encouraged learn that polygamy is socially acceptable, even though the majority of society does not agree. If two polygamists have a child and that child is adopted by two non-polygamists, that child will not grow up thinking that polygamy is morally acceptable. The more children grow up, the more their moral compass begins to define itself. Sooner or later, a child develops to the point where he or she has their own reasons as to why they think certain things are right or wrong. But one thing is for sure: Genetics is not one of these reasons.

Polygamists aren't morally flawed in every aspect.

Keep in mind that polygamy is simply a marriage with more than one partner. That's it. There is no rule that dictates what polygamists must think about other moral issues, and there is no reason to believe that polygamists are morally flawed across the board and in every possible aspect. Just because someone has more than one partner, it doesn't mean that they think that rape is morally right or something along those lines, and it would be stupid to assume otherwise. There may even be a person like you who agrees with you on every single moral issue, except for polygamy. Is it right to call someone like that completely immoral? Of course not.

The resolution must be negated for these reasons:
1) There is no reason to think that Mitt Romney approves of polygamy or that he has the same values of his great-grandparents (because morality is not genetic).
2) Even if #1 was false, there is no reason to believe that this makes Mitt Romney incapable of being an effective President of the United States (because polygamists aren't morally flawed in every aspect).

IveGotUrOuts forfeited this round.

Forfeit, I guess...

Vote con.
Posted by WriterDave 4 years ago
It's not likely Mittens actually knew any of his great grandfathers, so I'm inclined to say no. Just recovering from a debate, though, and I'd love to be proven wrong on this point, so someone else may have at it. :-)
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: No argument (well little argument) and an FF