gonovice
solo

Should prayer be allowed in school?

solo

gonovice

Con

I'm going to leave this debate open for anyone to jump in on.

So, my side of this debate is that prayer is something that means a lot to many people. However, there are so many different types of religions these days that you can't talk about one religion without someone else getting offended. There are a lot of different religions and the fact that we live in a country that says we don't discriminate based on race, religion, or beliefs. We have to be fair to everyone and we can't possibly do that with prayer in school.

I look forward to debating this more.
solo

Pro

Assumed: You are against prayer in public school (as it wouldn't make sense to debate against prayer in a religious school).

Thank you for creating this debate, gonovice. I will do my best to give you a run for your money. ;)

I disagree with your statement that "you can't talk about one religion without someone else getting offended." As long as you are respectful and not trying to change another's beliefs against their will, there is nothing with which to take offense.

<>

Some people require constant communication with their god, just to make it through the day. Would you deny them sound well-being and good mental health? Perhaps there are those who are getting good grades with the help of a god. If getting "A's" is the goal of one's academic career, it is vital to pray as often as possible while at school.

Wouldn't it be discrimination against theists to ban prayer? Would you also ban meditation in school? How about restricting everyone from closing their eyes while thinking allowed? To what end do we ban prayer in school?

Tolerance goes a long way and helps all situations. I believe turning a blind eye to the internal chanting of others helps people to be less aggressive and more sensitive to the needs of others. That is a good thing.

What negative impacts does prayer have in school? Does prayer contribute to poor grades? Poor behavior?

I do not see why it should not be allowed, but I look forward to reading your rebuttal.
gonovice

Con

First of all, thanks for debating this.

I don't think there is a problem with private prayer, it's when there is a reserved time set out of every day for students to pray together. It isn't fair to single out one religion.

What religion requires that you are in communication with God every second of everyday? I don't know of one, but who knows???

We don't need to ban prayer completely, just the prayer that is public. If a student needs to pray then that's fine, but they could do it on their own.

I never said that internal prayer was wrong, I just said that public prayer is wrong. There is a difference.

The negative impacts are that you can't pray to one single religion and not offend everyone.

I look forward to your rebuttal and hearing what else you have to say.
solo

Pro

<>

Thank you for creating this debate.

<>

If it's done during free time, I don't see what the problem is. What is offensive about it to you?

<>

I don't know if any require it, but I'm sure there are many who maintain frequent contact with God as a matter of preference.

<>

I'm sure there are those that subscribe to the belief that there is strength in numbers and feel two prayers (or more) are louder and more powerful than one.

<>

You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm sure a great many will still disagree with you.

<>

Then we should do away with a lot of other things as well by that logic. We should not allow political parties, as one always offends all of the others. We should also not allow church buildings, as driving by one would offend so many. I believe your logic is flawed in this sense.

<>

I look forward to your final argument.
gonovice

Con

<
I didn't say private prayer was offensive to me. This debate isn't just about what is offensive to me. I don't have any problem with praying in private. I don't think it's right to pray with a designated time set out in a public class.

<
Exactly, if you can't provide proof, then this isn't relevant. Let's just drop it then.

<
Are you saying some religions think it's better to have two or more praying together?? Sorry, I'm just not positive on what you are saying.

<
I'm sure there are many people that disagree with you as well.

<
You're being way over dramatic. Driving past a church is way different then one single religion praying in front of possibly 5 more. Those 2 things have nothing to do with eachother.

I look forward to your next argument!!
solo

Pro

<>

What schools do that? I've never heard of this practice. My tax dollars are paying the salaries of teachers that tailor their lessons around the prayer times of a select religious group? I find that very hard to believe.

<>

If you insist on dropping it, then I support your action and accept the votes on your behalf.

<>

Well, logically if there is strength in numbers, then more people praying that believe in the power of prayer would have to be more powerful together than individually.

<>

No doubt.

<>

Forgive my drama, I wasn't aware it was even showing. I still disagree. If you're going to target an individual for one thing, you must target others like that person, as well as the buildings in which they are doing the praying.

I look forward to your final argument. Good luck!
Posted by gonovice 7 years ago
gonovice
Those schools offer financial aid to students who want to go there. They also allow people to pay in payment plans. I never said school clubs shouldn't be allowed. They have nothing to do with it.
Posted by KeithKroeger91 8 years ago
KeithKroeger91
Maybe some people can't afford to take them to those schools....
I guess by your logic school clubs shouldn't be allowed either.......
Posted by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
If people honestly want their kids to do nothing but pray, send them to a parochial school, that way they are learning hands on about their own, specific religion.
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
By silentchange's logic, all praying in public is wrong. Matthew 6:5-6 is clearly telling us not to pray in such a way as to gain the approval of men ("Verily I say unto you, they have their reward."). This passage appears amidst several others all dealing with the hypocrites in the synagogues. They address giving to the needy (6:1-4), prayer (6:5-15), and fasting (6:16-18). This passage does not say that praying in public is wrong, but that doing so merely to be *seen* is wrong. It has to do with the heart.

That being said, I do agree that public school in prayer is not biblical, but only because the concept of modern public school itself is unbiblical. First, there is no such thing as neutrality, so the public school will always adopt a worldview be it theistic or atheistic in nature. Since Jesus is the embodiment of truth, Christians should not be sending their kids to public school anyway (if they can help it).

The prayer-in-school debate, if anything, exposes the fatal flaw of the public school system. It will *always* fail to be acceptable to all peoples. This is one reason why I think the public school system should be replaced by a private school system, so parents can send their kids to the school that best fits their ideologies and end this tiresome debate.
Posted by silentchange 8 years ago
silentchange
Praying in public is unbiblical read this verse:
MATHEW 6:5-6
King James Version

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

the bible tell us that we should pray secretly.
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Pro took the resolution to mean any prayer should not be allowed in school, but the resolution was for public prayer sanctioned by the school. This was obvious to me on two counts: Con clarified it as such in round two, and this type of resolution usually concerns school sanctioned prayer, not personal prayer. My vote for most convincing argument went to Con.

Conduct, grammar, and sources were all a Tie.
Posted by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
I agree with jasperthegoat...if it was one religion only, that would be fine, but when it is many different religions, that makes it overboard.
Posted by Jasperthegoat 8 years ago
Jasperthegoat
I support school prayers if all the children clain to be of the same religion. If they are not all of the same religion then this would be imposing one religious belief on a child of another religion. This would kinda be a constitutional issue no?
Posted by lalasavannah3218 8 years ago
lalasavannah3218
I'm totally for praying in school. Every year in September my church and other christians get around a pole before school starts and we pray for each and every one of those kids (i'm one of the kids) and yea people make fun of us, even teachers, but it's God that has me ignore what they're saying. I think getting prayer out of school would be obnoxious and many people would be upset. Our country was found under God. Why do you want to take it out? He helped form this country, heck he formed the world and everything in it. I thought the "pro" was very nice about everything said and just had alot of evidence and facts to back up the debate. Just because people know what they're talking about dosen't mean that they're rude or mean. I love God. Keep freedom of prayer in school.
Posted by solo 8 years ago
solo
But... I... was... PRO.
Vote Placed by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by Revolution1902 8 years ago
Revolution1902
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by samueleishion 8 years ago
samueleishion
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by Glitchy 8 years ago
Glitchy
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by pazmusik 8 years ago
pazmusik
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by lalasavannah3218 8 years ago
lalasavannah3218
gonovicesoloTied
Vote Placed by SolaGratia 8 years ago
SolaGratia
gonovicesoloTied