SnaxAttack
srhelsel609

Should prayer be allowed in schools?

SnaxAttack

SnaxAttack

Pro

For this debate, it will be discussed if any student in school (Elementary, Middle, High School, or College) should be allowed to pray within the school. I shall be "Pro", meaning that I am on the side for allowing kids to pray in school, without interuptance of "forcing" religion down anyone elses throat. My opponent will be arguing the opposite.

Structure:
1st Round: Acceptance and Any Questions within the Debate (Ask Questions in the comments)
2nd Round: Opening Argument (Keep it short please)
3rd Round: Rebuttals and Any New Arguments
4th Round: Rebuttals and Conclusion

Rules:
  • No forfeits {If a forfeit does occur, the one who forfeited has lost the debate. But if both individuals forfeit the same amount of round(s), then it is fair game}
  • Any time one makes an argument, it either needs to be an opinion or a fact (With a source).
  • Sources have to be reliable, and cannot be from Wikipedia, Forums, or a ProCon website. As well as will be required to post sources at the end of each round. If a mistake does happen, like one forgot or did not have enough characters, they can post their sources in the next round. Just make sure to label which sources were used in which round. But if anyone forgets to post their source in the next round, that is a disqualification of the debate.
  • Have fun and no harassment or harsh language against each other!

Definitions:
Prayer: A solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship. Prayer is also for any religion, besides Christianity.

Allowed:
Admit (an event or activity) as legal or acceptable.

Schools:
An institution for educating children.

Good luck to whoever accepts the challenge!

srhelsel609

Con

Schools are schools. Not church's/other places of worship. To just be clear I am a Christian not atheist.

Kids should be able to pray,but not during a test or when the teacher are teaching. If they would happen to pray, they should do a quiet one and short one. So they don't interact with our others and their freedom of religion.
SnaxAttack

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and I wish him or her "Good Luck". Now for the first round, I will like to re-inform that this will be an opening argument. Please keep it short! Also, I would like to address one thing to the voters of the debate. In the Structure section of the debate, I stated that the first round is acceptance and any needs for clarification. On the first round, my opponent posted a small argument instead of just an acceptance. I admit that this is a minor peeve, but I just wanted to address that to the voters. Any who, lets debate!

To begin, let us discuss the manner of praying in school. When I refer to the usage of using a prayer, I am simply referring to whenever the individual is in school. Either before, or after a class; which I have stated within the comment section, and was asked by one of our viewers. A prayer can be silent, or out loud; but no no one should be denied something they believe in.

The most obvious argument is the fact that it is within our constitution, under the first Amendment. Freedom of Religion, where anyone can express their beliefs in any form; as long as they are not "shoving" their beliefs down others throat. Which is not the case in most incidents, people pray to bring hope toward themselves. Stated under the article "Why Do People Pray", it states that the reason most people pray is because of seeking answers to life's problems; not used in the form of "shoving" religious beliefs down others throats.

Also with a prayer, comes its benefits. Stated under "Science News daily", under the article "Prayer Can Help People Handle Difficult Emotions", it says: "Those who choose to pray find personalized comfort during hard times, according to a University of Wisconsin-Madison sociologist. The 75 percent of Americans who pray on a weekly basis do so to manage a range of negative situations and emotions ". Imagine the benefits it is done within school. It helps build confidence, and brings hope within their work in school. Even if you are not religious, the idea of just trying a prayer can relax you because of having the feeling of an unnatural force besides you.

Besides the benefits of a prayer, most schools already make you pray; under the Pledge of Allegiance. Stated under "School Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance", it states that when the Pledge of Allegiance was written, it was a prayer to bring hope within the future of our country. And many schools allow this sort of prayer, like stated under "State Requirements on Pledge of Allegiance in Schools", where 40 of the 50 states have kids do the Pledge of Allegiance. If we consider that a prayer, why can't anyone else use their own religious beliefs and be allowed to do a small simple prayer?

http://constitutioncenter.org...
http://education.findlaw.com...
http://undergod.procon.org...
http://www.sciencedaily.com...
http://www.allaboutprayer.org...
srhelsel609

Con

srhelsel609 forfeited this round.
SnaxAttack

Pro

I will not argue until my opponent argues.
srhelsel609

Con

srhelsel609 forfeited this round.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Stated in the "Rules", I clearly said if a forfeit occurs, a disqualification comes. So, I think you know who won.
srhelsel609

Con

srhelsel609 forfeited this round.
Posted by SnaxAttack 1 year ago
SnaxAttack
To counter-argue your statement, lets look at the facts within this debate. Firstly, this debate is not about making this idea a law, but comprehending of whether or not kids should be allowed a chance to express their beliefs. Following "Freedom of Religion". Secondly, the First Amendment also states that one religion is not focused upon. Which, like stated under the Definitions, that the prayer can be any religion. Thirdly, this is not forcing someones else's idea down another's throat, its just giving allowance to express themselves.
Posted by Sulfur 1 year ago
Sulfur
I wish I was the Con. This debate would be over with in one turn. " Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" first amendment of The United States Constitution.
Posted by SnaxAttack 1 year ago
SnaxAttack
@tajshar2k I am referring to any time within the presence at school. Either during lunch time, or before classes even start.
Posted by SebastianC 1 year ago
SebastianC
It doesn't matter in my school, because after the morning announcements a lot of people pray. Silently.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
Do you mean during school hours?
Vote Placed by Teaparty1 1 year ago
Teaparty1
SnaxAttacksrhelsel609Tied
Reasons for voting decision: conduct-F, s&g-"when the teacher are teaching", arguments- Pro's arguments weren't responded to.