VoteForPedro419
AntLove

Should prayer remain in schools?

VoteForPedro419 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 days ago Status: Debating Period

VoteForPedro419

Pro

Taking prayer out of public schools infringes on the students' 1st amendment rights. It essentially forces students to suppress their freedom of expression. What do you think on the topic?
AntLove

Con

With that same logic keeping prayer is also infringes on Amendment 1: Freedom of speech and Religion.
VoteForPedro419

Pro

I'm not sure what you mean by that, AntLove. I'm going to assume that you mean that those who want to ban prayer in schools are having their rights infringed upon by not being allowed to "speak". This just isn't the case. While I do think that businesses and other public places should be able to decide what does or does not happen in their stores or on their property, I also know that schools are regulated by the government, originally created with religion in mind. Mandatory prayer in schools was abolished in the 1960s (http://statelaws.findlaw.com...), and I am not an advocate for that. I do believe that students should be able to choose which deity they worship and should not be forced to pray to other gods. As a religious person myself, the forcing of a belief on someone is very wrong and shouldn't' happen anywhere.. However, I don't think it is constitutional to completely ban prayer in schools. If a student wishes to bow his/her head before lunch and say a quick prayer to God (Christianity) before eating, they should be allowed to. In the same way, a Muslim student should be allowed to pray to Allah in the same instance (Note: I do realize that the practice of prayer differs from Islam to Christianity.). I'm merely stating that all students should be allowed to worship in schools freely without the fear of being detained or punished by the administration.
AntLove

Con

What I was implying was that Prayer in school would be infringing on Atheist rights. To put it simply, children are allowed to pray in school, there is nothing to stop them from praying before eating. Schools aren't currently allowed to sponsor any religion or belief, but having a prayer segment in school would shove the difference between Atheists and Theists down their throats. Imagine everyone praying and having one or two kids just not. Kids would start asking them why they're not praying. This would just add to the pile of discomfort Atheists have, it's not unheard of to have atheists discriminated because of their beliefs. All 3.1% of us would not benefit.