MastrDebator
rjayx8

Should prostitution be legal?

rjayx8

MastrDebator

Pro

First round is for acceptance!
rjayx8

Con

I accept. Please state the rules and make your case.
MastrDebator

Pro

Thank you con for accepting the challenge.
The rules are as follows:
Round 2 will be opening statements and arguments.
Round 3 will be defensive and offensive arguments against what the other debater has posted.
Round 4 will be defensive and offensive arguments against anything posted in round 3. You cannot debate something from round 1 that was not mentioned in round 2.
Any statistics and etc. must have citations
Let us begin.
Prostitution should be legal. The main reason is that it is a victim-less crime. Sure some people may get sexually transmitted diseases but that can still occur through regular sexual activities other than prostitution.
From the prostitute and author Veronica Monet, "Sex work is better. For me, sex work isn't my first choice of paying work. It just happens to be the best alternative available." from her article in Gauntlet Magazine. In some situations people just have this as the best option for them. They like having sex, they see themselves as attracted enough to sell their sex, and why should it be illegal if it can be dispensed for free?
There really is not a reason why prostitution is illegal. It has not been changed because if any politician tries to change it they would be committing political suicide because the mass public just does not see what prostitution really is. It is not some kind of environment where the pimp gets the prostitute hooked on drugs and makes her work for her fix. The myth that a lot of prostitution is rape, where the pimp forces the prostitute to have sex with the costumer, is exactly that, a myth. In fact, if prostitution was made legal, "the rape rate would decrease by roughly 25% for a decrease of approximately 25,000 rapes per year...." says Kirby R. Cundiff in "Prostitution and Sex Crimes". This is because the small percentage of prostitutes that are raped cannot report it to the police or they could face charges as well for being apart of prostitution.

Furthermore, prostitutes should have the right to do what they want with their bodies as long as it doesn't inherently harm others. Pornography, one of the biggest industries in the United States, is legal for view of people 18 years or older. Pornography and prostitution are exactly the same, except one is taped and the other isn't.

The legalization of prostitution would make sex workers healthier. Just look at Nevada. Most of the state has already made it legal and the workers that participate in prostitution have to get weekly and monthly checks for STDs. This would lower the rate at which these diseases would spread through the population.

From a more financial standpoint, legalization of prostitution would be an extreme boost to the economy. First of all, there would now be legal jobs that need to be filled. The government could tax the crud out of the business of prostitution and maybe the licensing as well. The last financial advantage is more hidden than the others. If this were to be made legal, the police force would not have to spend valuable resources on arresting prostitutes and pimps. They could spend these resources elsewhere, to improve the safety of the location. Taxpayers wouldn't have to pay for these prostitutes to be jailed and fed anymore either.

My final argument is of the sex workers themselves. As of now, they do not get labor rights because they do not work legally. If it was made legal they would get benefits such as minimum wage, freedom from discrimination, and a safe work environment. These sex workers are people too. They deserve to have these basic freedoms that so many people take for granted.

Thank you con again for accepting the challenge and I pace the keyboard to you my friend.
rjayx8

Con

Before I begin, I hope I can do justice to a topic like this, which requires an in-depth knowledge and insight. Not for debate sake, but personally as well, I am an opponent of legalization of prostitution which will help me present my arguments with absolute conviction. Anyway, I wish my opponent luck and thank him for posting his argument.

With this I shall begin, my argument shall be concise, and will focus on three points
1. Spread of STDs
2. Morality of Prostitution
3. Loopholes in Pro’s Argument

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defined prostitution as:

"Prostitution:

1 : the act or practice of engaging in promiscuous sexual relations especially for money

2 : the state of being prostituted : DEBASEMENT"

"I believe that we will never succeed in combating trafficking in women if we do not simultaneously work to abolish prostitution and the sexual exploitation of women and children. Particularly in light of the fact that many women in prostitution in countries that have legalised prostitution are originally victims of trafficking in women."

Margareta Winberg
Former Deputy Prime Minister of Sweden

Pro states, ‘There really is not a reason why prostitution is illegal’. I am positive that I will prove otherwise in the following paragraphs.

Spread of STDs

How are sexually transmitted diseases not a big issue?

"Even if a prostitute is being tested every week for HIV, she will test negative for at least the first 4-6 weeks and possibly the first 12 weeks after being infected.... This means that while the test is becoming positive and the results are becoming known, that prostitute may expose up to 630 clients to HIV. This is under the best of circumstances with testing every week and a four-week window period. It also assumes that the prostitute will quit working as soon as he or she finds out the test is HIV positive, which is highly unlikely. This is not the best approach for actually reducing harm. Instead, in order to slow the global spread of HIV/AIDS we should focus our efforts on abolishing prostitution."

Jeffrey J. Barrows, D.O. Health Consultant on Human Trafficking for the Christian Medical Association
"HIV and Prostitution: What's the Answer?" The Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity website
Sep. 9, 200

"In 1986, the Victorian Labour government [Victoria, Australia] legalized brothels, claiming crime would be eliminated, prostitutes' lives would be made safer, and there would be fewer health risks. None of this happened.

Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) and AIDS increased. This was due to the fact that medical authorities examined only one of the partners in the sex act, which was self-defeating. Also, favourable medical results provided a false sense of security to clients, prostitutes and controllers. Medical examinations also provoked hostility and decreased cooperation from prostitutes who moved around too often to be monitored. If one did become infected with a sexually transmitted disease, another prostitute would replace her for the medical check up, using the infected woman's medical card."

Realistic, Equal, Active, for Life (REAL) Women of Canada, in its Mar.-Apr. 2005 Reality newsletter article "Prostitution In Canada and Other Countries

The Morality of Prostitution

I believe the branding of prostitution as 'commercial sex work' is just an attempt to legitimize sex trafficking.

"The argument for legalization goes something like this. Prostitution will happen anyway but legalization and regulation will help stem the abuses. The argument has 50,000 foot appeal. Using the same logic, slavery (which still exists in many places) should be legalized so underground slaves can be given some measure of human rights" John Bambenek

It violates the right to liberty and security, and the prohibition of slavery, of forced labor and of trafficking in persons because millions of women and girls all over the world are held in sexual slavery to meet the demand of even more millions of male buyers of sex, and to generate profits for the capitalists of sex.

It violates the right to enjoy the highest standard of physical and mental health because violence, disease, unwanted pregnancies, unsafe abortions, and AIDS stalk, presenting constant and grave risks for women and girls in prostitution, and militating against a healthy sense of and relationship with their own bodies

Cecilia Hoffman, Secretary of the Coalition Against Trafficking in Women - Asia Pacific (CATW-AP), wrote in the Aug. 1997 paper "SEX: From Human Intimacy to 'Sexual Labor' or Is Prostitution a Human Right?" published on the CATW-AP website:

LOOPHOLES IN PRO’s ARGUMENT (ROUND 2)

To put it in a nutshell, I believe Pro failed to deliver a satisfying argument because of the following reasons.

Pro paints a very idealistic and ignorant picture of prostitution, Pro forgets that here we are not just talking about Nevada countries or United States, but are looking at a global picture.

Pro stated, “The main reason is that it is a victim-less crime”.

Two things should be observed, first there are victims present, the helpless prostitute who is so desperate that she has to sell her body, how is she not a victim and the customer who is prone to fatal STDs like AIDS and syphilis, how is he not a victim? And the second which is more important is the fact that Pro acknowledges that prostitution is a crime, ‘victim-less crime’.

1. There was no definition of prostitution: As a proponent of a topic it is imperative for pro to at least define what prostitution is.

2. What kind of background do these prostitutes come from? Is it a respectable profession; is it something we in the 21st century want to see as a widespread practice?

3. Prostitutes ARE forced, I don’t live in a world where women aspire to or WANT to sell their bodies to earn their livelihood. Most prostitutes are products of human trafficking.

4. Pornography being compared to prostitution; those who enter pornography are willing and take a conscious decision to do so, there is much more money in pornography, it has a proper age limit and legal structure that is to followed, prostitution on the other hand is where a girl is bought or sold -smuggled and trafficked from her homeland as if an object that can be used and abandoned.

5. Pro claims that the pimp’s dominance over the prostitute is a myth, but provides no factual basis for the same. The burden of proof clearly and entirely lies on Pro for this one.

6. Prostitution is illegal, in any sense or way, I believe the act of legalizing it in itself is illegal in a way that it disrupts and shatters the moral fabric of our society

7. To conclude, Pro didn’t come up with any mechanism or method which could talk of legalizing prostitution on a global scale

The only place where I do agree with Pro is when he says, ‘sex workers are people too’, and these people don’t want their profession to be promoted. They are trapped in a vicious cycle and need rehab, and alternate jobs, they don’t want us permitting the job that haunts them.

Women in systems of prostitution do not want the sex industry legalized or decriminalized.

In a 5-country study on sex trafficking, most of the trafficked and prostituted women interviewed in the Philippines, Venezuela and the United States strongly stated their opinion that prostitution should not be legalized and considered legitimate work, warning that legalization would create more risks and harm for women from already violent customer and pimps (Raymond et al, 2002).

One woman said, “No way. It’s not a profession. It is humiliating, and violence from the men’s side.” Not one woman we interviewed wanted her children, family or friends to have to earn money by entering the sex industry. Another woman stated: “Prostitution stripped me of my life, my health, everything” (Raymond et al., 2002).
MastrDebator

Pro

MastrDebator forfeited this round.
rjayx8

Con

I will give my opponent one more chance to post his argument and will hope that he does, for this topic lies in the category of the most controversial and debatable issues. It will be a shame if he forfeits the debate.

So I shall wait for Mastrdebator. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Cheers.
MastrDebator

Pro

MastrDebator forfeited this round.
rjayx8

Con

Sad, I hope my arguments were convincing. That is all, judges please vote Pro.
CHEERS!
Vote Placed by Themba 2 years ago
Themba
MastrDebatorrjayx8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro FF.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
MastrDebatorrjayx8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture,
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
MastrDebatorrjayx8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
MastrDebatorrjayx8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by Plexon_Warrior 2 years ago
Plexon_Warrior
MastrDebatorrjayx8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con not only held a strong debate, but even withheld from carrying out his argument even after Pro had forfeited.