Should prostitution be legalized/legal?

1. First round for acceptance only.

2. No plagiarism; Don't copy someone else's work and claim it as your own.

3. You may only troll when things get completely out of hand.

4. I will argue in favor of the resolution that prostitution should not indeed, be legalized/legal.

Failure to follow these rules will result in a 7-point forfeiture.

I will gladly accept this debate. I am looking forward to debating with you.

I thank Pro for accepting this debate.

1. It can spread diseases.

2. This can put, if not, a dramatic increase in crime rates, like the usage of children as sex slaves.

1) Making prostitution legal would improve public health and would subsequently reduce crime rates.

2) Citizens should be given the choice, as prostitution being illegal is essentially moral policing, and also contradicts with other activities adults are allowed to pursue.

Along with refuting my opponents arguments, I will be covering these topics. I am looking forward to viewing my opponents arguments.

PerversePsychology forfeited this round.

Even though my opponent did forfeited this round, I will continue with my debate in the hopes that my opponent will debate.

First of all, making prostitution legal would improve public health and reduce crime rates, in contrary to what my opponent suggested. It could become a profession, where regulations protect members of the profession and give penalties to negative conditions of illegal prostitution. If it was legal, prostitutes will be less likely to fear seeking help from the police if a client tries to abuse her. Regulations can make sure that prostitutes are licensed and require prostitutes to be examined regularly for sexually transmitted infections. Prostitutes would have better access to information about safer sex. To give a proven example, a study published in 2010 showed the effects of the legal status of sex work on public health in three Australian cities, as prostitution is legal in some parts of Australia. In one city, licensed sex work was legal. In another city, unlicensed sex work was legal and in the third city all forms of sex work were illegal. In the cities where sex work is legal and where licensed sex work is legal, the sex workers saw increased access to health promotional services. [1] Making prostitution would improve health and reduce crime because as a job, prostitutes would be willing to go to the police. The infections/ diseases of prostitutes would not be transferred and they could get more informed, and in addition, the client would be protected from contracting any disease or infection. "It is estimated that if prostitution were legalized in the United States, the rape rate would decrease by roughly 25% for a decrease of approximately 25,000 rapes per year...." [2] Canada has passed laws protecting sex workers. In the United States, when a sex worker is raped, she or he is unlikely to go to the police, fearing arrest. Rapists are well aware of that vulnerability, even claiming to target sex workers because they know we have no recourse. Exploitation and danger are exacerbated when sex work is criminalized, as shown in Canada.[3]

Secondly, my opposition may argue prostitution is wrong and it is morally unappealing to think of selling a prostitutes body to another person. However, there is a 'give and take' with sex, if it is with money or not. Two people have a type of transaction, with pleasure and affection for one another. There is commercial use of the buying of someone, through pornography that is legal. Making prostitutes criminals are contradicting with the commercial use we have today. In other words, it is simply one's moral policing, that does not make sense with the commercial use the world has today.

Prostitution is a behavior should be accepted, as there is commercial use of pornography today. The crime rate would go down, as regulations would increase and prostitutes could willingly go to the police. In addition, there would be an improvement of health. Prostitution is great for the economy and should be legal for those reasons.

I am looking forward to my opponents arguments.

Forfeit from my opponent. Extend all arguments.

Vote pro
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago