OLAN
I-am-a-panda

Should prostitution be legalized?

Con Tied Pro

OLAN

Con

Prostitution shouldnt be legalized simply because of moral degradation and because most women have been forced to do it. So it shouldnt even be allowed.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I thank OLAN for this debate.

==Defitinitions: ==

Prostitution: The act or practice of engaging in sexual intercourse for money. [http://dictionary.reference.com...]

== CON ARGUMENTS ==

"moral degradation"

--> For whom? It only affects the morality of both users who partake in the activity, who are clearly willing to partake in the activity. Therefore, any moral degradation is the sole fault of either user.

"most women have been forced to do it"

--> The act itself requires agreement from both parties for whatever agreed activities. The woman can of course opt to not do it, and that will have its repercussions. If the woman is forced that's rape, not prostitution.

== PRO ARGUMENTS ==

ECONOMIC BENEFITS:

If Prostitution was legalised, the government could regulate it and tax it. It would create more revenue for the government through this. Furthermore, it would add another legal market to the economy and lead for a bigger economy for the nation which legalises it.

The legalisation of Prostitution has benefited many countries which legalised it economically

"The prostitution industry accounts for 5% of the GDP of the Netherlands, between 1 and 3% of Japanese GDP and in 1998, the International Labour Organization (ILO) estimated that prostitution accounted for between 2 and 14% of the total economic activity in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines" - http://sisyphe.org...

WORKER BENEFITS:

The legalisation of prostitution would lead to better working conditions for prostitutes. The legalisation of prostitution has led to better health conditions in countries which legalise it, such as Senegal:

"In Senegal, HIV prevalence among pregnant women has been below 1% for more than a decade. A strong multisectoral response, an effective STD control programme and early legalization of prostitution have been credited for this low level. Special clinical services, for example, offer regular examination and treatment for registered sex workers. Not only has there been a significant decline in STD rates among sex workers and pregnant women between 1991 and 1996, but genital ulcers are also no longer common and chancroid is reportedly rare." http://www.liberator.net...

SOCIETAL BENEFITS:

There is a general reduction in violence and criminal activities with the legalisation of prostitution, and a lower crime rates in accordance with the level of punishment given to prostitution.

"It is unknown if there is a correlation between laws that prohibit sex and higher crime rates, but the reverse appears to be more enlightening. The countries where prostitution is legal do not suffer from a high number of violent crimes." - http://www.liberator.net...

These are my argument for the first round, and I reserve the right to make more. Thank you, and back to my opponent.
OLAN

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. First of all it is the degradation of the woman that matters when it comes to prostitution. There can be no benefits at all, especially in terms of sexually transmittable diseases. Sure, HIV has been reduced because of prostitution being legal in other countries but what about diseases like the clap,clymidia,herpes,etc. And yes there are repercussions for refusing,but isnt that theyre right as women and as Americans? So i ask you what good can come for prostitution? Nothing. Back to my opponent.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response.

"First of all it is the degradation of the woman that matters when it comes to prostitution"

--> My opponent has merely stated this and has not expanded upon it, nor has he rebutted my point on it.

"HIV has been reduced because of prostitution being legal in other countries but what about diseases like the clap,clymidia,herpes,etc"

--> My link specifically states "Not only has there been a significant decline in STD rates among sex workers and pregnant women between 1991 and 1996, but genital ulcers are also no longer common and chancroid is reportedly rare". This point is refuted.

"yes there are repercussions for refusing,but isnt that theyre right as women and as Americans"

--> Of course it's their right, and they have a choose to refuse to engage in prostitution if they nominate to do so.

"So i ask you what good can come for prostitution? Nothing. "

--> My opponent has ignored most of my points in my first round, and I have refuted his points. Therefore, I extend my unrefuted arguments.

Back to my opponent.
OLAN

Con

I thank my opponent for pointing out my errors. "Foremost, it is argued that prostitution is an immoral practice, and thus should be against the law in the United States. That clearly denies the resolution,but let us expand it a little further. An estimated 39% of women are prostitutes. Why? Because they were forced into it against their will. Another excerpt states:"Opponents of the morality position would claim that the job of the government is not to legislate morality." Well then why is there a Senate or a House of representatives?. I hate to see the day that prostitution is legalized in the supreme court. The Founding Fathers didnt use women for their advances. They loved their wives and treated them with respect. Most women become prostitutes simply because of domestic violence or adultery. So i ask you why should prostitution be legalized?
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response.

" "Foremost, it is argued that prostitution is an immoral practice, and thus should be against the law in the United States"
--> I would ask my opponent for his source of this statement, otherwise it is not backed by evidence.

"An estimated 39% of women are prostitutes"

--> I again would ask my opponent the source of this statistic. Even if this is true, it simply means the government is oppressing a huge minority of women, and denying a huge potential economic sector a chance to make a country money.

"Why? Because they were forced into it against their will. "

-- Again, there's no source for this, but women can always opt out of a legalised and regulated form of prostitution, something illegal prostitution often doesn't. And even if it is against their will, a lot of people aspire to make money without being employed, and in that sense employment is against their will, but they do it for money.

"The Founding Fathers didnt use women for their advances. They loved their wives and treated them with respect."

--> The founding fathers are not an infallible source of information. Times have changed since then, and thus society should progress as well.

"Most women become prostitutes simply because of domestic violence or adultery"

--> Again, there is no evidence to back this statement.

I extend my unrefuted arguments. Back to my opponent.
OLAN

Con

My source is:http://chelm.freeyellow.com... which has credible information on prostitution and its effects on people and the world in general. 2nd of all my 39% is estimated. So in conclusion prostitution shouldnt be legalized simply because of moral and women degredation. Back to my opponent.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response, and for this debate.

The point my opponent has taken from his source are as follows:

"Foremost, it is argued that prostitution is an immoral practice, and thus should be against the law in the United States."

"Opponents of the morality position would claim that the job of the government is not to legislate morality."

The first quote has no statistics. My opponent has no proven how it is immoral, or by what standard it is immoral.

The second quote is in fact in favour of the legalisation of prostitution.

"So in conclusion prostitution shouldnt be legalized simply because of moral and women degredation."

--> My opponent has not proven in this debate how this is true. He ha not refuted most of my argument, and the points he has have been in turn refuted by me.

In conclusion, legalising prostitution will have a net positive effect on the economy, society, and the workers involved in prostitution.

I again thank my opponent for this debate
Posted by Ninja_Tru 4 years ago
Ninja_Tru
@ ciphermind

I know! Right?! Freaking hilarious. When I read that "estimated" statistic, I was like "Holy heck, the feminist movement totally failed if about 1 out of every 3 girls in the country is selling themselves. Either that, or there's some secret prostitute colony in the US we haven't heard of that has like 117,000 people in it..."
Posted by ciphermind 4 years ago
ciphermind
I liked it when con said that he just estimated that statistic.

Come on. There is no way that 39% of women are prostitutes. That isn't even true in the slummiest areas of the planet.
Posted by Railsguardian 4 years ago
Railsguardian
@wjmelements

Not really a victim if it's a conseunsual choice between the two people, right?

Unless you're talking from a morally degrading standpoint, which we can discuss forever, you know...
Posted by wjmelements 4 years ago
wjmelements
Who is the victim in prostitution?
Posted by InsertNameHere 4 years ago
InsertNameHere
Con fails epically...
Posted by RohanP 4 years ago
RohanP
Legalizing prostitution would be the correct choice. My reasons for this are:

1)This is the MAIN reason: Women would be better protected from danger and would not be abused so often. This is because the government could regulate it and make sure nobody is being taken advantage of.

2)If women genuinely want to be prostitutes they should be allowed to do so. Everyone should have the freedom to pursue a career of his or her choice.

3)If a prostitute and their client agree to do business with each other, why is that a problem? It only involves those people doing business with each other, it does not concern others.

4)The prostitution industry could be taxed and the country would make money off it.
Posted by Ninja_Tru 4 years ago
Ninja_Tru
Good work, Panda. You made 3 different harms, while the Con's is shaky at best. By the way, I really really recommend the book SuperFreakonomics for everyone involved with this discussion to open their eyes to how prostitution goes on. Great source on the underbelly of a lot of things, too.

Oh, and about that "The Founding Fathers didnt use women for their advances. They loved their wives and treated them with respect" comment. Thomas Jefferson had an affair with one of his black slaves.
Posted by dollydo 4 years ago
dollydo
A woman should have a choice to do with her body what she wants. Be that the use of her body to perform sexual acts. Being "forced" into prostitution is unethical, since it takes away a person's rights to bodily autonomy. Because the act is performed by two consenting adults and does not infringe on any other person, it should be legal. I-am-a-panda was right, in regards to the benefits that could result due to the State's regulation of prostitution, i.e., tax revenue, reduction of STD's, etc. I also believe that the State's regulation of prostitution will "clean up the streets," encouraging "street walkers" to have more frequent check-ups, and allowing for better environments for these women, ultimately keeping them out of harms way and off the "streets."

The only negative consequences left to deliberate upon, is the destruction of the family unit. A man that is going to cheat on his wife, will do so regardless of whether or not he has to pay for it or not. Cheating is not deemed illegal, so prostitution should not be considered illegal. While cheating, some may argue, is unethical, most agree that a person should be free to make those decisions regarding their lives. Just as a man that wants to pay for sex should be free to make those decisions.

There are many men who have problems with the opposite sex, and sex might be almost non-existent to some. Some men also suffer handicaps, which makes it almost impossible for them to encounter sexual relations. Should they be destined to live without sexual experiences? If a woman is willing to offer sex to a handicapped man, for a fee, so that he may enjoy the sexual experiences, just like any other normal man is able to participate in, I say, there is no harm done!

If married men cheat on their wives, through a hook-up at a bar or a prostitute, it is their own personal values that should be questioned. Boys should be raised with values that preserve the family unit, not destroy it.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 4 years ago
I-am-a-panda
RFD: I found no superior spelling or conduct on either side. I found my PRO's arguments more researched and more solid than CON's. PRO also used more sources than CON.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 4 years ago
I-am-a-panda
I'm sigging that
Vote Placed by RazaMobizo 3 years ago
RazaMobizo
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Richardt 3 years ago
Richardt
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Yvette 4 years ago
Yvette
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Atheism 4 years ago
Atheism
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by arenax3 4 years ago
arenax3
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by yayawhatever 4 years ago
yayawhatever
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 4 years ago
Rockylightning
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by spinnerclotho 4 years ago
spinnerclotho
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Vigrant 4 years ago
Vigrant
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Fazwe 4 years ago
Fazwe
OLANI-am-a-pandaTied