Diana_Abildaeva
areddy12434

Should prostitution be legalized?

Started: 3/2/2013 Category: Economics

Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

Prostitution is a really big business. Everyone want sex. Prostitution was in the past and continue to be now. First of all, women (or men) that haven't anything besides their bodies will have opportunities of a legal well - paid work. If prostitution will be legalized these people will have comfortable conditions and stable earnings. For some people prostitution is the way of life and why don't let them to have a work that they want with good conditions?
areddy12434

Con

Thanks for my opponent for presenting this arugment. I'll assume my opponent means in the United States(correct me if I'm wrong)

C1. Degradation

C2. Wrong Morally

C3. Gangs

C4. STD's

1.I want to start of by saying that using sex as an alternative to earn bills is a demeaning work, not only to the purchaser, but also to the provider. It demeans the value of the provider, showing how women are more as objects rather than people. Also, work is determined by how much work you put into it, and the amount of effort you put. Not having something that can benefit others, so you simply loan it out. People who hire others to fulfill their sexual needs are looked down upon, much in the way that a small population of bread-machine enthusiasts look down on people who must buy bread in a store. But while the good people at the bread factory are applauded for the service they provide, prostitutes are not.

2. Morality
Sex is beatiful thing shared between two who love each other. Not a commodity picked up and sold in the market. It should be revered, holy, and sacred(even if you don't beleive in god.). Prostitution would promote male dominance, and destroy all the female rights we worked for so far. Not only is it morally wrong because it promotes male dominance, it tends to involve coercion. In most cases, people do not freely decide to become prostitutes. In some cases, they are driven to the profession by desperation and a lack of other opportunities for employment. In other cases, they are forced into prostitution by others. In some cases, people are enslaved and forced to be prostitutes.

3.Gangs
The more prostitutes, the more violence. Arguments will arise over mistreatment of prostitutes. Much more pimps, and they hog the money from the prostitutes(even though they do the degrading work). Fights will arise over prostitues. prostitution is extremely dangerous for women. Homicide is a frequent cause of death....
It is a cruel lie to suggest that decriminalization or legalization will protect anyone in prostitution. It is not possible to protect someone whose source of income exposes them t

4. STD's
"Even if a prostitute is being tested every week for HIV, she will test negative for at least the first 4-6 weeks and possibly the first 12 weeks after being infected.... This means that while the test is becoming positive and the results are becoming known, that prostitute may expose up to 630 clients to HIV. This is under the best of circumstances with testing every week and a four-week window period. It also assumes that the prostitute will quit working as soon as he or she finds out the test is HIV positive, which is highly unlikely. This is not the best approach for actually reducing harm. Instead, in order to slow the global spread of HIV/AIDS we should focus our efforts on abolishing prostitution." Also there is always the possibility of breaking condoms, and always the chance that the man doesn't want to put on a comdom because he feels its bad, and forces the woman to have sex with him because the adreneline is rushing through his body.

http://mustangdaily.net...
http://aphilosopher.wordpress.com...
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

Thank my opponent for his argument. About the country I think it doesn't matter, so let it be USA.
Firstly, about degradation. I venture to remind you that venal sex is very profitable business. If prostitution become legal in the most cases it would be voluntarily. As it known, not only women sell their bodies. I don't think that prostitute profession is very easy. It is hard as for body as for soul. And why people's attitude to prostitution is so bad if they need it?
Secondly, morality. It is very good that people like my opponent is still living in our world. But it is very pity that not all people think like my opponent. As I wrote, sex is very sellable thing.
Thirdly, gangs will be forever. If prostitution will be legalized there will be some care for prostitutes. It will be a real job and respectively, there wll be an acceptable attitude for them.
And the last point is STD. I can say that people have never been burdened with moral principles. This is particularly evident in the 21 century. Nowadays young people don't really care about their health and safety, so because of it, the disease vector can be as prostitutes as normal people.
Also, according to Bruce Kennedy, legalization of prostitution can help to the economy the country. Dennis Hof who is the owner of Nevada's Moonlight Bunny Ranch brothel claims that a legal and taxed sex trade could do economic wonders. "The federal government receives $6 billion a year now, off of liquor," he said in an interview with the Huffington Post. "The prostitution industry in America is about an $18 billion business, and none of that money goes into the federal coffers or goes to pay taxes."
http://money.msn.com...
areddy12434

Con

areddy12434 forfeited this round.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

I don't know what's wrong with opponent but I will continue ost my arguments, so I think that with legalization of prostitution there will be more care for them. If business is legal there would be control from the government. How I wrote earlier not only prostitutes can be ill. When prostitution will be legalized the government can control it For prostitutes there will be comfortable conditions and due attention from doctors. Therefore, diminish or may be ceasing of the cases when underage people ecome prostitutes will decrease because of the control and rules. I am sure that if prostitution will be a legal business there will be some organization that will control medicine and financial side of such business.
areddy12434

Con

areddy12434 forfeited this round.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

Diana_Abildaeva forfeited this round.
areddy12434

Con

areddy12434 forfeited this round.