Diana_Abildaeva
subham.sibasish

Should prostitution be legalized?

subham.sibasish

Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

Prostitution is a really big business. Everyone want sex. Prostitution was in the past and continue to be now. First of all, women (or men) that haven't anything besides their bodies will have opportunities of a legal well - paid work. If prostitution will be legalized these people will have comfortable conditions and stable earnings. For some people prostitution is the way of life and why don't let them to have a work that they want with good conditions?
subham.sibasish

Con

Challenge accepted.
I agree with the point that men/women who wish to earn money by using their bodies to provide pleasure to others should have the right to do that, but when we make a law or allow something to be done we should think of the well being of the whole society and not some individuals. If prostitution is allowed, the society may have to face certain side effects like:

1)Spreading of various STDs - Making prostitution legal will make it easier for the people to have multiple sexual relationships. And as we all know, the vastness of the prostitution industry will not allow the government to check whether required contraceptives are used or not.
2) Extramarital sexual relationships: If prostitution is allowed,people can easily have extramarital sexual relationships. This will lead to growth of distrust between the partners and is also morally incorrect.
3)Increased number of human trafficking- In many countries, girls are sold,bought and traded illegally just for the purpose of using them as prostitutes. If prostitution is allowed, human trafficking will increase and will give rise to more illegal activities like kidnapping of young girls to use them as prostitutes.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

Thanks my opponent for his argument. First of all, I can say that people have never been burdened with moral principles. This is particularly evident in the 21 century. Nowadays young people don't really care about their health and safety, so because of it, the disease vector can be as prostitutes as normal people. I venture to remind you that venal sex is very profitable business. If prostitution become legal in the most cases it would be voluntarily.
Secondly, deterioration of relations between couples. Prostitution - is profession or the way of life. There is no need to feel jealousy to the sweetheart if she or he is not a prostitute. To tell the truth, can't see a link between legalization of prostitution and confidence of the partners.
Thirdly, gangs will be forever. If prostitution will be legalized it will be a real job and respectively, there will be an acceptable attitude for them. With legalization of prostitution selling of the body will not considers as a crime. Women and men will have a choice. But abduction and slavery are very serious crimes and a punishments are appropriate. I mean that to be or not be a prostitute, it will be person's own choice without violents and slavery.

Also, according to Bruce Kennedy, legalization of prostitution can help to the economy of the country. Dennis Hof who is the owner of Nevada's Moonlight Bunny Ranch brothel claims that a legal and taxed sex trade could do economic wonders. "The federal government receives $6 billion a year now, off of liquor," he said in an interview with the Huffington Post. "The prostitution industry in America is about an $18 billion business, and none of that money goes into the federal coffers or goes to pay taxes."
http://money.msn.com......
subham.sibasish

Con

Thanks to my opponent for countering my points so lucidly. But,i believe the points you made are applicable for few countries and societies only. I am not sure whether this debate focuses on any certain country or society or the whole world. Therefore, i am presenting my points taking the whole world into account:
1)In many parts of the world, sex is still considered a taboo and extramarital sex is a crime. If prostitution is legalized, many married men/women will get the freedom to have sexual relationships with the prostitutes which definitely violates the law.
2)The job of prostitutes may seem very lucrative,glamorous and attractive, but in most of the cases prostitutes are handled by pimps who get most of the money leaving only a small part for the prostitutes. The young girls involved in the business can be used ruthlessly for profit by the pimps and will force the girls into poverty and suffering. Moreover, the prostitutes suffer various sexual harrassments by their clients and pimps.
3)When a prostitute or a call girl goes to an unknown person's house for her job, she risks her life and often is treated harshly by the clients. Many cases of torturing prostitutes have come up recently. Legalizing prostitution may give prostitutes their rights but definitely can not provide them security.
4) In my country, India and in many other countries of the world, prostitution is a major cause of spreading of AIDS. If prostitution is legalized, many young people will get into sexual relationship fearlessly, giving rise to spreading of aids. Major prostitution companies can check whether the client/prostitute is suffering from any STD, but in many other small brothels, mandating such a thing is nearly impossible.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

I understand my opponent's position but I think that with legalization of prostitution there will be more care for them. If business is legal there would be control from the government. How I wrote earlier not only prostitutes can be ill. When prostitution will be legalized the government can control it For prostitutes there will be comfortable conditions and due attention from doctors. Therefore, diminish or may be ceasing of the cases when underage people ecome prostitutes will decrease because of the control and rules. I am sure that if prostitution will be a legal business there will be some organization that will control medicine and financial side of such business.
subham.sibasish

Con

I agree with my opponents points completely, but as i had earlier mentioned, we must think about the whole society while legalizing something. Legalizing prostitution has many adverse effects which can not be neglected.

Whereas, the point about providing security, protection and treatment to prostitutes, i feel , need not be done if the government takes stringent steps to eradicate prostitution completely. Legalizing prostitution just to provide safety to the prostitutes is nearly the same as legalizing drugs so that people affected by drugs can get treatment! If the government feels prostitutes can complain against harsh treatments, then they can definitely quit their jobs if they don't like it..

I feel the prostitutes can be motivated to quit their jobs if they feel insecure. Instead of promoting prostitution, the government should create feasible opportunities for the prostitutes to quit their jobs and engage themselves in something else. Moreover, the police should conduct frequent raids on the brothels to check prostitution and inhuman treatment to the prostitutes.

Prevention is always better than cure. If we can stop the young girls from becoming prostitutes, we need not care about their security or health in future. The deciding factor is whether the society wants prostitution or not. Whether prostitution can be accepted by every people of the society is still doubtful. Every society is a blend of different cultures,traditions and beliefs and i believe many fundamentalists still exist in your society who will never accept prostitution. So legalizing it just because some youth or people with high sexual drives want it is definitely not a good idea.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for such interesting and good debate. I am really glad that we discussed the issue.
Firstly, we must understand that no one can give a warranty that prostitution will be eradicated. I want to remind my opponent that prostitution is illegal business and the government Know about it but prostitution is still exist and moreover, developing. Gangs will be forever, and even if the government will try to eradicate prostitution more seriously, it will not help because there always are people that want to be rich without efforts.
Then, legalization of commercial sex can help the government to control conditions and status of prostitutes. There will be some organizations that will control prostitutes' health and it can help to decrease the number of different illnesses. Also, the attitude for prostitutes will be better because people will understand that people who sell their bodies are not doing something dirty and illegal.
At last, how I wrote earlier - everyone want sex. Prostitution is very profitable and convenient business. I am sure that prostitution will never be eradicated. For some people prostitution is the last chance for sexual relationships because of their appearance/social position/something else. Of course, people condemn prostitution but mostly, they are not disdain to use the serves of commercial sex.
Thus, legalization of prostitution can:
1) develop the economy of the country
2) prostitution will be under the supervision of the government
3) there will be better conditions for prostitutes
4) decrease the number of general illnesses
5) decrease the number of abduction for prostitution
subham.sibasish

Con

Thanks to my opponent for presenting such rational points. I agree with your points and also agree that something needs to be done about the prostitution industry. But, if the things can be checked without promoting prostitution, it will be beneficial to everyone. I have already mentioned how prostitution is harmful to our society. I am rounding up all those points again:
1)Spread of HIV virus and other STDs
2)Security issues and threat to life of the prostitutes irrespective of security ensured by government.
3)Extramarital sexual relationships
4)Growth of human trafficking
5)May seem morally incorrect and hurt religious sentiments of some fundamentalists.

The problems faced by the prostitutes can be solved by other means and legalization of prostitution is not necessary for preventing such problems. Some of the suggestions are:

1)The problems of prostitution industry like rights of prostitutes can be solved with the help of NGOs which will promise to keep the identity of the prostitute secret. And they will help her get out of the industry and do something else.
2)Special government bodies should be constructed to help in rehabilitation of the prostitutes.
3)Young boys and girls should be made aware of the hazards of the prostitution industry.

Overall, to conclude my arguments i would like to say that prostitution as a job may seem lucrative but is definitely full of risks and threats. It is not accepted by the societies of most of the countries and almost all the eastern countries. Even the western society is a blend of people of different religions and with different perspectives. Everyone may want sex but it is not accepted by many religions. So, a thing which cant be accepted by all should not be promoted.

Steps should be taken to minimize prostitution and rehabilitation of the prostitutes which will one day make the society free of prostitution.
Posted by TD_Cole 3 years ago
TD_Cole
two words. The Cathouse. Out side of Sin City it's self. The most known legal prostitution brothel known. (if there are any others)

But technically speaking, isn't porn a loophole to prostitution?

Porn star = Get's paid to have sex.
Prostitute = Get's paid to have sex.

Only difference - Porn stars are on television and the internet.
Why didn't I said anything about STDs you might ask.

The Cathouse does all of that. So if legal then other's would have to too. No guarantee.

Just saying.
Posted by adontimasu 3 years ago
adontimasu
@akfreezingchick - Most people who support the legalization of prostitution also support the regulation of the system. Generally, they advocate that, before a "transaction" is agreed upon, both parties must submit to an STD test and both must use protection of some kind. In connection with this, most people advocate that prostitution companies require regular medical testing for STDs to assure that it doesn't spread through this mean.

Hopefully that helps. ^^'
Posted by ChubbyFatz 3 years ago
ChubbyFatz
Think she is pro prostitution being legal, at least that's what the setup suggests.
Posted by scancapman 3 years ago
scancapman
It is unclear to me what side of the debate you wish to take. If you are against then I am willing to argue for.
Posted by ChubbyFatz 3 years ago
ChubbyFatz
AK good point but then again if its regulated properly the workers would be required to take STD/AIDS test periodically like in the porn industry. This should keep that std rate the same or even bring it down. I doubt whether ALL prostitutes do tests now and that can lead to them passing diseases but with it regulated and with the periodic testing in order for them to keep their license for example it'd help alot.
Posted by akfreezingchick 3 years ago
akfreezingchick
You make a great point and I do agree that if someone wants to make money from sex then more power to them because men and women are willing to pay a ridiculous amount of cash to get sexual favors done, the only bad part about this is the rate of STDs is high in this country already and I am afraid the rate of people contracting STDs would rise if prostitution was legalized
Posted by akfreezingchick 3 years ago
akfreezingchick
Vote Placed by likespeace 3 years ago
likespeace
Diana_Abildaevasubham.sibasishTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument carried more weight, as he was arguing for what benefited society as a whole, whereas Pro was arguing for what benefited a small segment of society. Con also gained credibility by acknowledging the needs of the few and proposing solutions that had fewer downsides for the many. To win this debate, what I think Pro would have needed to do, was come to the table with a more detailed proposal that considered and minimized these harms. Rememeber, Pro/Instigator has the burden of proof to make their case, and loses in a tie.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
Diana_Abildaevasubham.sibasishTied
Reasons for voting decision: con had solid arguments in that prostitution could lead to an increase in STD's, human traffiking, and that prostitutes can be abused by their pimps, which the pro couldnt succesfully counter. Pro also made a lot of assumptions in arguing his case, some of which may or may not be the actual case if prostitution ever is legalized, which only urther weakens his arguments. Arguments to the con