Curci
Lala_14

Should prostitution be legalized?

Curci

Curci

Pro

I'm arguing this in an organized debate, and I would like some practice debating it. Prostitution should be legal first and foremost because prostitution is not inherently immoral. Sex which is consensual, as long as everyone is over legal age, should be perfectly legal. Why should we interfere in what other people do with there bodies? That is all, I look forward to this debate.
Lala_14

Con

Sure, Everyone has the right to do what they want with their bodies. But, really? Are the things that go on during prostitution be legal? Like pimps? NO. Woman are treated horribly and unfair in these situations. Being beaten for no reason. Having to give their pimp all the money they recieve. It's not fair at all in any shape, size, or form. These woman no what their doing when they sell their bodies but they have no choice. It's their only way for money. But do they like it? NO they dont. No one wants to be treated in that way. Do you believe that it's okay? Their not a prostitue for fun. They do not need money, they need help in their lives.
Curci

Pro

Most of the practices you listed are illegal and are not necessarily intertwined with prostitution. Prostitution is the act of sex for money. That is what I'm trying to legalize. "Being beaten for no reason?" That is illegal because it's assault. If prostitution were legalized, this would still be illegal. "Having to give pimps all the money they receive." That is illegal because it's fraud, and if the women is forced into prostitution, that is illegal as well. All these things have nothing to do with what's being legalized. Sex for money, once again, is what I'm trying to legalize. "These woman know what they're doing when they sell their bodies but they have no choice." Sell their bodies? Ermm, that is some intense and misleading language. They are selling the services of their body, not there body itself. That would imply they are selling themselves into slavery. I'm kind of copying an argument used by ADoseofBuckley here, I know. And what do you mean they have no choice? They have the choice between prostitution and poverty. With prostitution legalized, they have limited choice about what they can do. With it illegalized, they have less choice. A guy working a dead end job at McDonalds has no choice but to continue working there or face poverty, but does that mean that working at McDonalds should be illegal? And you're kind of applying a huge generalization for prostitutes. Not all of them work with abusive pimps and hate it. And besides, the focus should be on the actual moral act of prostitution, not the logistics for some of them. The act of prostitution is as follows: X wants money, Y wants sex. They compromise. What is so bad about that? While prostitution is illegal, many woman have to submit themselves to abusive and manipulative pimps to attempt to get out of poverty. If it was legalized, this sort of manipulative behavior would be reduced. For example, look at how well it's turned out in Nevada. "But do they like it? NO they don't." I bet a guy working a dead end job at McDonalds doesn't like it. Should working at McDonalds be illegal? But I'm sure at least a few prostitutes enjoy there jobs. Maybe they enjoy lots of sex and the money is just a bonus. What they do shouldn't be declared illegal just because others do the same thing and don't like it. In short, those that do it for the money should not affect those that do it for the fun. "Their not a prostitute for fun." The guy working at McDonalds isn't in it for fun either. Prostitution could be a fun and healthy experience, with lots of sex and money being supplied to people. But right now, it doesn't look that way. We need to legalize it, and then we can root out the aggressive pimps, make sure the women are properly cared for, and clean the system up. I await your response.
Lala_14

Con

Lala_14 forfeited this round.
Curci

Pro

I do not know how busy my opponent is, and await her response. No rush, I'm very busy myself.
Lala_14

Con

Why should we let something so intimate be legalized for money? Yea, I get it. It's their choice but aren't there other ways for money? Yes, there is. How is legalizing prostitution going to help our country as a whole? How is it going to affect us? Going back on your whole paragraph about Mcdonald's and how wrong the comparison is. Sure, I get your point but a guy working at Mcdonald's and A woman in prostitution are totally different fields. In most cases a prostitute is not going to leave unharmed. The woman are definitely not treated properly or given proper care.
I await your response
Curci

Pro

"Why should we let something so intimate be legalized for money?" So, basically, you're saying it's motive crime. That the government can regulate people's reasons for having sex. Want to have sex because you enjoy it? Fine. Want to have sex because you want to please your partner? Fine. You want to have sex for money, however, and that's when it becomes a problem? Also, if you have sex for money, that doesn't mean that your not having sex other reasons as well, as reasons for sex are not mutually exclusive. That's just the first problem with your statement. Just because something is intimate, it does not mean that money becoming involved in that thing eliminates it's intimacy. And even if it did, there is in no way an indication that that should make it illegal. No offense here, but that statement literally makes no sense whatsoever. If you operating by that logic, then commercialized porn would be illegal. Intimate things+money=/= illegal. "It's their choice but aren't there other ways for money?" Yeah, there are other ways for money, but that could be said for anything. There are other ways for money besides being a clerk at McDonalds, should being a clerk at McDonalds then be illegal? The fact that there are other ways to make money, has literally nothing to do with the legality of said thing, much the same with your previous statement. "Sure, I get your point but a guy working at Mcdonald's and A woman in prostitution are totally different fields." Yeah, but the analogy I used them in is valid, as they are both bad jobs to have. It doesn't matter that they are different fields, because that has nothing to do with the context I used them in. Being a prostitute and working at McDonalds are to VERY different things, however, they are both bad jobs, which IS the context I used them in. I await your response.
Lala_14

Con

Prostitution creates a setting whereby crimes against men, women, and children become a commercial enterprise.... It is an assault when he/she forces a prostitute to engage in sadomasochistic sex scenes. When a pimp compels a prostitute to submit to sexual demands as a condition of employment, it is exploitation, sexual harassment, or rape -- acts that are based on the prostitute's compliance rather than her consent. The fact that a pimp or customer gives money to a prostitute for submitting to these acts does not alter the fact that child sexual abuse, rape, and/or battery occurs; it merely redefines these crimes as prostitution."
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

The spread of disease and other detriments are definitely possible in the practice of prostitution.

"Even if a prostitute is being tested every week for HIV, she will test negative for at least the first 4-6 weeks and possibly the first 12 weeks after being infected.... This means that while the test is becoming positive and the results are becoming known, that prostitute may expose up to 630 clients to HIV."
Jeffrey J. Barrows, D.O.
Health Consultant on Human Trafficking for the Christian Medical Association

Going back to Round 1 you say "Why should we interfere in what other people do with there bodies?"

Yea, but there's more to it than that and to be honest your're not looking at the deeper part of it because there way more to it than the rights people have to their bodies.

"Prostitution as an institution is evil. It doesn't matter if it is the 'world's oldest profession', it is still wrong."

Dorn Checkley
Curci

Pro

Curci forfeited this round.
Lala_14

Con

My opponent has forfeited! Vote Con! :)
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
Mhykiel
I think eventually it will be legal. Just like pot and other stuff. The tax revenue is going to convince government to control it. Of course why is consensual sex under any law. Why is porn legal and not prostitution. Eventually Government will state that it is legalizing it for the public health because it happens anyways. Sex slavery is on rise etc... so to make sure sex workers are of legal age and disease free big government will do it's part in legalizing prostitution. Not saying it's right because I think it is a terrible dehumanizing practice, but it will probably happen soon.
Posted by Curci 2 years ago
Curci
Please debate me, I would love that.
Posted by Carthage 2 years ago
Carthage
I'm considering taking this debate, as a ton of people are getting prostituted without consent now, aeven whith it illegal.
Posted by Parker236 2 years ago
Parker236
hell yes for blowjobs
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
CurciLala_14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Better arguments by pro. I'd like to see pro use paragraphs and headlines to make his debates more readable. Same advice to con.