Should public prayer be banned in schools?

Thank you for taking the opportunity to debate with me.
I believe that children should be allowed to pursue their religion and prayer habits at school, we should not be trying to fit them into the mainstream culture if necessary. Children were born into a culture and into a religion and should without a doubt stay that way. If school really do have a problem with no public prayer, then there is obviously a issue with the heads of that school and matters need to be taken more seriously. Even if the principal is against public prayer a good suggestion would be to even make a room just dedicated to public prayer for children who wish to thrive in their religion. Anyone who does not want to enter the room is not obligated too and nothing is stopping or holding back the child that does want to enter that room. Culture and religion should definitely not be banned as once it is all gone we are simply living for nothing, as without culture there is no purpose.

Since, I gave my opinion for Round 1 and all you did was accept I will you the opportunity to state your opinion now. Thank You.

Thank you Con

Before i dive into actual arguements i would like to address something that Con has said. You can pray whenever you want to in school. Thats not illegal. The problem is when teachers or generally the school endorses the prayer to everyone in the classroom. That is illegal

1) It is unconstitutional

The Supreme court has already ruled on prayer in school and have stated that it is conflict with the first amendment and fourteenth amendment

1st- In the establishment clause of the first amendment it states there will be a seperation of church and state. Prayer in school would violate this because public schools are funded by the government. This would insuniate that the government is pushing a religious standpoint.

14th- This violates the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. Prayer in school would violate a non-religous student's 14th amendment right to not be brainwashed with prayer every single day of school

2) You can already pray in school

If you really are close to God then you can pray whenever you want in school. Just because the school doesnt endorse your religion doesnt mean you cant pray

Any further arguements from Con i will refute next round

As the pro has stated once you endorse prayer to the whole school that it will become illegal, this will not be the case. If students know and follow learn behaviour and stick to their religious guts they should have the right to pray wherever and whenever they would like to. If this is a problem for those who do not allow prayer into their homes, there should be a separate part of the school dedicated to those who do want to see prayer in their lives. As the pro also stated it is "violating the 14th amendment" I do not believe this is the case, children are brought up the way their families raised them, some pray and some do not. Those who do pray know who they are and those who do not pray should also know who they are, I do not believe this is brainwashing non-religious families. If the non-religious children see a religious child praying they will likely not think too much about it but they will know that it does not mean that they need to pray as well. The pro's second point proves my debate, if you are religiously close to God you can pray wherever you would like to, the pro has proved praying is ok in schools.

I will rebutt your claims since i have made my case

1) No having a "shrine" room for God in a public school would implicate endoresment of religion. Not only this but tax payer's money would go into creating and facilating this room. Its best to just pray when you want in school and not force others to pay for your religious upbringing

2) It does violate the 14th amendment. It does not matter what you "think". The supreme court has already ruled on this and made it unconsitutional

3) This debate wasnt about you just praying in school. It was about public prayer. Public meaning the school is endorsing it. I have no problem with you just praying privately in school. What i do care about it when the teacher says "Ok now lets pray everyone".

Thanks for the Debate Con
Posted by Stonehe4rt 8 months ago
I think a kid should be allowed to pray if he so desires. What you want a teacher to send kids into the principals office for practicing their religon? They have ever right to do that. It is not like by praying would anyone force they ideals onto anyone else. That would also mean im not allowed to pray in public period, which would then begin to ban my very religon and henceforth. I mean wth who would want to ban prayer?
Posted by CapAhab 8 months ago
I wonder if con would like public prayers in the name of Allah?
Posted by whiteflame 8 months ago
>Reported vote: condeelmaster// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Pro focused on the endorsement of religion, which wasn't part of the debate's resolution neither the 1st round argument from Con. This means that Pro's efforts where useless and the only arguments valid were the Con's ones.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter has to do more than just explain why Pro isn't winning the debate to explain why Con is. He must assess specific arguments given by both sides.
Posted by GoOrDin 8 months ago
The constitution is out of date.
Posted by GoOrDin 8 months ago
WELL THEN, Pro is suggesting that advocating HOMOSEXUALITY to kids in school should be illegal too. They oppress my perspectives and impair my demeanor, admonish my views ( which are scientifically true, proven via social sciences. ) and glorify he perspectives of womanizers subliminally and passively.
Posted by Reformist 8 months ago
Yes but the supreme court has the highest authority in the USA to determine what fits the constitution and what doesnt
Posted by SquirrelFaces 8 months ago
I do think that a prayer room would be unconstitutional, but I disagree with the statement that it is because the supreme court says so. Yes the supreme court can rule on such issues, but I think it is everyone's obligation to determine what is and isn't unconstitutional. Other people can hold opinions that differ from the Supreme court on what is constitutional or not and be correct.
Posted by AvCh 8 months ago
It also says in schools meaning within the school community.
Posted by Reformist 8 months ago
Your title says public prayer
Posted by AvCh 8 months ago
I never brought up Public Endorsement.
Vote Placed by Bolas 8 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Both Pro and Con had good conduct, spelling, and grammar. So a tie for those. Reasons for allocating the points to Pro: Firstly, I would like to state that Pro stated in one of his arguments that it "is not illegal to pray in school." Pro did state that it is illegal to endorse ALL students to pray in class or wherever they are. Con made good points, however, I thought that con got away from the main point of the debate. That is why those three points go to Pro. As for the "most reliable sources" category, Pro was the only side that used sources. So win by default.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 8 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro win's because Con conceded that it is unconstitutional in the first place, and Pro already showed that you can pray on your own time.