RMtheNerd
CSH_ZWang

Should public schools allow prayer?

RMtheNerd

Pro

Yes. I believe that they should allow it in accordance with the first amendment. Since when do schools get to restrict students from their own right when they aren't even bothering others?
CSH_ZWang

Con

I'm not entirely sure how to go about this, since most schools already allow prayer. (Before I begin, I'd like to say that 'm not actually for the con, but I like to argue). Let's begin,

The only strong argument against schools allowing prayer is that it can cause disorder. While I wish it weren't the case, many people will still go ballistic when they see people praying either towards god or towards Mecca. If prayer occurs in school, religious violence could occur and that is not something one wants in schools. Allowing prayers in schools could potentially lead to the separation of students based on their religion. If students learn and grow up in this type of community, what will happen to future generations?
RMtheNerd

Pro

RMtheNerd forfeited this round.
CSH_ZWang

Con

CSH_ZWang forfeited this round.
RMtheNerd

Pro

RMtheNerd forfeited this round.
CSH_ZWang

Con

CSH_ZWang forfeited this round.
Posted by Cerulean_Prince 1 year ago
Cerulean_Prince
I doubt you will find an opponent because of the question. With the current question no legitimate debate could occur.
Posted by Hillben 1 year ago
Hillben
Majority of schools allows prayer it just isn't done as a class. If you change the topic to say public schools should pray, then I will accept.
Posted by Ozzyhead 1 year ago
Ozzyhead
There is no restrictions on prayer. If you want to debate schools being required to set aside time for prayer, I'll be your opponent
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
Been covered in the comments already, but to make it clear. There is NO restriction on students praying in school. Unless this is a debate about organized prayer, then the debate has no meaning.
Posted by connorjfield 1 year ago
connorjfield
what is? no one is stopping students from praying on their own so I don't understand your stance.
Posted by RMtheNerd 1 year ago
RMtheNerd
Thank you for commenting! The reason why I did this debate is because some people believe that it unfair or wrong etc.
Posted by connorjfield 1 year ago
connorjfield
exactly. In what context do you mean kids should be allowed to pray in school? I don't see any reason why they wouldn't unless the prayer is led and organized by a member of the school faculty.
Posted by Skepsikyma 1 year ago
Skepsikyma
"Since when do schools get to restrict students from their own right when they aren't even bothering others?"

They don't... people who are against school prayer are against prayers lead by authority figures. The ACLU has defended the right of children to pray of their own volition.