mav935
WheezySquash8

Should public smoking be allowed in the United States?

WheezySquash8

mav935

Pro

Even though I think that smoking is really bad for you, it should still be allowed in public places. I could see why people would go against it, because it makes them feel uncomfortable. I get that. However, 38.1% of Americans already do smoke, and it is their right to do what they want to their own body. The government is acting as if they own the great citizens of America, but they don't. Public smoking should be allowed. If you feel otherwise, then let me know what you're thinking.
WheezySquash8

Con

-Introduction-

As a citizen of one of the states with the highest smoking populations in America, I am strongly against smoking. I see where you are coming from in your opinion pro so I wish you the best of luck. Let the debates begin!

-Point One-

My first reason behind my opinion is that when people smoke in public places with a lot of people such as malls, working places, etc, people can obtain the effects of secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke, as you may know can increase heart disease. Studies have shown that secondhand smoke causes about 46,000 deaths per year, and that secondhand smoke increases your chance of getting heart disease by 25-30%. This may not seem like much, but consider what other factors add to this to increase your chances even more. Pollution, heredity, and many other things can add to this one factor. I nearly lost a relative to heart disease. It is more common than you may think. Secondhand smoke is capable of also causing your blood platelets to become stickier, leading to possible heart attacks, and lung cancer is possible too. Your risk of lung cancer from secondhand smoke increases by 20-30% which leads to about 3,400 deaths per year. To top that up, the smoke from a cigarette contains 70 cancer causing chemicals. Believe it or not, that's a lot. There are numerous other effects too such as asthma, and SIDS in woman, higher chances of sickness, wheezing, coughing, and ear infections.

Sources: http://www.cdc.gov...
http://www.epa.gov...

-Second Point-

When you say, "Americans already do smoke, and it is their right to do what they want to their own body", you are wrong. This statement does not make sense. The people who do not want to get the health effects of smoking do not have the right to do what they want with their body because of these people. They are forced to inhale the smoke of the cigarette, and get the health effects stated above. It's not only in public. It's also at home. Youths with smoking parents are forced to inhale smoke that their parents produce from their cigarettes which gives them the same risk, and increasing their chances to smoke one day by twice as much. It is a civil right for Americans to smoke, but it is not a right for these people who do smoke to affect others around them. They need to be aware that they are affecting others, and should smoke privately rather than in public. If you think that people would be angry about the public smoking ban, check out one of my links below. In my link, 80% of voters are for the ban on public smoking. The majority of Americans would be happy rather than angry about a smoking ban.

Sources: http://www.debate.org...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...

-Third Point-

The health effects of public smoking have affected families, and broke them apart forever. This is a sad thing to discuss, but I must. The health effects of public have affected people in not only my community, but around the world. Many of my friends have lost relatives to secondhand smoke effects. One of my friends lost their dad because of heart disease. Ever since then, they've been depressed. After that moment, his life changed forever. He used to be a bright, spirited friend. I could tell that his parents likely smoked because I could smell a cigarette smell on him. People made fun of him because of scent along with others who smelled like cigarettes. After his dad died from heart disease, he couldn't handle it. He has just given up. You see, things such as this have affected people around the world. You may not realize it, but numerous people around the world such as me have asthma, and many people have cancer. It is depressing to know that after hearing about all of these deaths, people still do not care about what they breath. You may think that the effects of secondhand smoking isn't bad. Watch these videos to see the wrath in which that smoke has brought into our world.

Sources: Life experiences.

-Outro-

I am deeply sorry if I offended anybody while typing this. I just have a strong opinion on this having witnesses numerous people die from cigarettes. I wish you luck.
mav935

Pro

I respect your opinion, however I agree to disagree.

You are right about the second hand smoke bothering people around the smoker. But have you thought about not sitting nor going near the smoker? If someone is being bothered by second hand smoke, then it is their responsibility to not go near the smoker.

Next, it is too hard for people who have been smoking for a long period of time to all of a sudden quit. If all of a sudden they are told they can not smoke any longer, then they could get very sick. As a citizen of the United States of America, you have many more rights than almost any other country. If someone feels the need to smoke in a public place then they have the right to do so. Hopefully, the population in America will lessen the amount of smoking cigarettes, but until then, individuals must be allowed to smoke in public (and necessary) places.

P.S This is my first time debating on a site like this, so I apologize if my argument is too broad. Good luck and happy debating!
WheezySquash8

Con

-Reaction To Paragraph 1-

One cannot avoid the smoke in which that the smoker produces if they are doing it near entrances, the side of the street etc. By passing the smoker, they get the potential still to obtain the health effects of secondhand smoke. You claim that it is the person's responsibility to to go near the smoker, yet it cannot be avoided all of the time. As I said in my previous round, numerous youths have parents who smoke. Just by avoided the smoke when possible still does not give people the risk. It's not always their choice to be around the smoker, or avoid the smoke.

-Reaction To Paragraph 2-

Yes, it is too hard for the smokers to quit. They do no have too. That's not the issue here. The issue here is that they are doing it in public affecting the people around them. I made it clear in my first round that I am ok with smoking in private. I said, "it is a civil right for Americans to smoke, but it is not a right for these people who do smoke to affect others around them." I know many people who smoke in private rather than in public to respect, and not affect others. You want the population of America to lessen the amount of cigarettes. I respect that, but I do not agree on your statement saying that they should be able to smoke in public. If they cannot hold their urge to smoke while not at home, they can go in their car, an area with no people, or home to smoke. There is no reason why the must do it in public, and affect others. Many people do not like it.

-Reaction To P.S-

Dear Pro,

I am very happy that you have decided to begin debating. It truly is a fun thing to do on your spare time, and promotes better English. Your arguments are not broad. You have done well so far. You are definitely better than the debaters in my High School. Many of them cannot even spell except! Keep up the good work, and I wish you luck in your argument. Remember that argument sizes can help. I wish you luck.

Sincerely,

WheezySquash8 (Jordan)
mav935

Pro

mav935 forfeited this round.
WheezySquash8

Con

It was great debating with you.
Posted by Mysterious_Stranger 3 years ago
Mysterious_Stranger
Apologies, my vote was supposed to go to con. I voted pro by mistake...
Vote Placed by mikicat10 3 years ago
mikicat10
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con listed sources, had videos and had a thouruogh argument
Vote Placed by Contra 3 years ago
Contra
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were pretty effective. The emotional arguments, including the pictures shown by the videos (I didn't watch the videos), were persuasive, although emotional arguments are usually frowned upon. I would have given Con the conduct point but on DDO emotional arguments are usually frowned upon.
Vote Placed by Fruitytree 3 years ago
Fruitytree
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct due to forfeit, Arguments Con presented are realistic and true.
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Vote Placed by SPENCERJOYAGE14 3 years ago
SPENCERJOYAGE14
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Okay, really gross pictures... Loss of conduct due to FF. Etc. Etc.
Vote Placed by Jakeross6 3 years ago
Jakeross6
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro utterly failed at defending his position, did not fulfill his BOP, and forfeited at the end! Con had better conduct, better arguments, better spelling and Grammar, as well as using reliable videos to support his argument that smoking is bad for everyone, not just the smoker.
Vote Placed by Jebediah-Kerman 3 years ago
Jebediah-Kerman
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con
Vote Placed by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gets conduct because of Pro's FF. S&G is tied because I noticed a few mistakes in both debaters' arguments. Arguments and Sources also go to Con because he provided videos, gave better reasoning such as the risks of secondhand smoke, and he actually did give sources.
Vote Placed by Mysterious_Stranger 3 years ago
Mysterious_Stranger
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Vote Placed by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
mav935WheezySquash8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I felt that the term "public space" should have been defined better. Private, at-home behavior does not affect other people, whereas public spaces may force people to smoke who do not want to, via second-hand smoke. Pro would have helped their case (I think) with more detailed arguments and rebuttals. I also would have liked to have seen more sourcing. If Pro could have finished the debate, and supported his arguments with strong reference materials, then the score could have been much closer. Con was going to be tough enough to beat anyway.