Its_katyy
macdonaldk2016

Should public workers get paid more than athletes?

Started: 5/2/2014 Category: Sports

Its_katyy

Pro

Professional athletes should not get paid more than public workers.
macdonaldk2016

Con

Alls far in love and debate. Good luck.

In my opnion you get paid for what you want to be and your skills. If I can not play basketball and I do bare minimum working in the public should I be paid more than these athletes who do physical labor everyday, and then have to go play in front of millions and recieve judgement from millions who happen to be watching them at any one time. Excuse me while I restate your claim into my own words:

Public workers do not go through near the stress of an athlete therefor they should get better wages due to their talent and hard work.

Thank you for letting me debate. Your turn.
Its_katyy

Pro

What about military workers? The deserve to get paid more than athletic players. Military workers risk their LIVES, for our countries protection. All athletes can do for us is give us entertainment. Its hard being some one who comes home from a military base, working hard, and then look at your paycheck of 9,000$ a month. Soldiers are risking their lives for America and we barely give them anything.
macdonaldk2016

Con

As a sibling to a soldier and many other soldiers in my family, they prepare these men for this, and they do choose this life, most soldiers are able to attend community college, trade school, etc. at the very least. These men and women who risk their lives for us are very important, but they have chosen that career path. Just because somebody chose to eat crayons and you decided to dribble a basketball since age two you should get the same pay? Excuse me, we're in America, not the Soviet Union. We make these choices in life, we are a democracy with freedoms to make our own life decisions, we are NOT a communist government run country.

And before I get the upset military members and their families, friends, etc. this is no put down on the military personal, I support our military in every shape and form.

Just because they have chosen to protect us does not mean they deserve millions, if we paid millions of men and women that kind of money we would have nothing. Also let me remind you that it is our society who lets these athletes make millions. If you are so against it, take precautions to not support it, including not watching it on television, not buying sports endorsed items, etc.
Its_katyy

Pro

Sports players still shouldn't get paid millions to dribble, kick, throw, hit a ball. It doesn't take a genius to do that. I can understand thousands but millions come on! It shows you what America really cares about. They can cut the pay Of the athletes and better ourselves and maybe we would have better military equipment and they could use some money to better our school systems. Also if they cut the pay of athletes we wouldn't be in the debt we are in. We could slowly work our way out of it.
macdonaldk2016

Con

macdonaldk2016 forfeited this round.
Its_katyy

Pro

Obviously, what these individuals must not be aware of is the most important man in our nation, the president, who makes critical decisions that affect the entire world every day, only makes $400,000 a year. While President Obama is hard at work reviving the economy, the unproven rookie in the MLB is earning way over that figure.

Furthermore, police officers, firefighters, and doctors save lives while risking their own for a fraction of what sports stars make. People in the military leave their families at home to defend and protect the country knowing they may never return. It's truly a pity that none of these true heroes are given the same recognition by society as athletes such as Brett Favre or Michael Jordan are given.

While I do understand that making it into the pros is not an easy thing to do, and that it takes a tremendous number of hours of hard work and dedication every day to earn a job in professional sports, these people do nothing more than entertain the general public.

Moreover, in my mind, if these athletes want to continue to be rewarded with the fame and fortune that is unfairly bestowed upon them, they must prove to the world that they are going to be positive role models for future athletes, and those who admire them.

These infamous players must grow up, and prove to America that they can be positive role models for kids on and off the field. They may get leeway when it comes to their salaries, but the law should be overpowered by any amount of talent.

If Alex Rodriguez earns the same amount of money as it would take to feed the nation's poor for a year, he can"t cheat and take steroids. What kids learn from successful ballplayers like him is that "It"s okay for me to use illegal substances, because in the long run, it will pay off by earning me an enormous contract."

In order for these players to gain respect, they need to have a more significant impact on the community.

Finally, what really puzzles me, is how athletes get upset when athletes say that millions of dollars won't be able to support him and his family, and that they need more. What puzzles me even more, is how after holding out for weeks, and sometimes months, the owners give in and pay them what they don't deserve.

Think about Jamarcus Russel, the former No. 1 overall pick in the '07 draft. He is on a six-year $68 million contract, with $31 million guaranteed. In simpler terms, that means that despite currently being recognized as one of the biggest busts of all time, and even if he were to get injured tomorrow and never play again, he will still have $31 million in the bank. In any other job, if you don't perform to your expectations, you're fired. There is no guaranteed money.

The whole system that allows professional athletes to just swim around in money is simply ridiculous, and it needs to stop. When asking people whether they think athletes are paid way too much money, most agree with me.
macdonaldk2016

Con

macdonaldk2016 forfeited this round.
Its_katyy

Pro

Its_katyy forfeited this round.
macdonaldk2016

Con

macdonaldk2016 forfeited this round.
Posted by Flipz 2 years ago
Flipz
Public worker could be anybody from the POTUS to a telephone operator. Please be more specific.