agoraplaton
Ozzyhead

Should religion be taught in schools?

agoraplaton

agoraplaton

Con

In nearly every country of this word, religion plays a major part in children's education. The question that arises is, should religion be taught in schools?
Ozzyhead

Pro

Anyone that followed me and my debates on this website are probably going to be surprised that I took this debate, but I am. In history class, I learned from a secular view point about all the major religions of the world. I understood what people believed and why. I started to disagree with religions, but I also gained an interest in it. Religions are damaging in my eyes, but understanding each religion makes ridding the world of it easier. Plus, like Harry Potter, this stuff is interesting. Think about it: wouldn't it suck if we were never taught about the Greek Gods?
agoraplaton

Con

Greetings friend,
I am also surprised with your decision to take the pro side of this argument, considering that you a re an atheist. Anyways, let us have some fun!
I will present my arguments in 3 points:

1. The human being is very vulnerable to mind manipulation at a young age. In most cases children that are brought up by the respective religion of their country, tend to follow the given beliefs and ideas for the rest of their life's. By teaching children the respective religion, we create ignorant and arrogant human beings who believe that their truth/idea is the only truth and criticizing it is immoral.

2. On the other hand preaching a religion as the only religion goes against the very idea of democracy. Education in a democratic country should always be objective, meaning that a human being should be allowed to believe whatever it wants to believe. It makes it very difficult for a child to choose their beliefs and opinions if it is taught by a young age what to believe.

3. In reference to your statement ("wouldn't it suck if we were never taught about the Greek Gods"). This discussion is not about religion not being taught at all. It is about religion not being taught as religion, which means it should not be taught as something you have to follow. I have nothing against presenting the different ideas of religions, but this should be done under a subject called mythology.
Ozzyhead

Pro

Ozzyhead forfeited this round.
agoraplaton

Con

agoraplaton forfeited this round.
Ozzyhead

Pro

A family emergency has knocked me out of this debate
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
agoraplatonOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited without reason, but had better arguments.
Vote Placed by InnovativeEphemera 2 years ago
InnovativeEphemera
agoraplatonOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nil sources, s&g tied, conduct for initial forfeiture, argumentation points for presentation. As it happens I agree with Pro, but Con supplied the stronger argument in this debate. Best of luck to you both and am happy to clarify this RFD if you require.
Vote Placed by Hanspete 2 years ago
Hanspete
agoraplatonOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with pro and I am giving him the better conduct because he was forced to leave the debate, and am giving agoraplaton the more convincing arguments.