RCampbell96
KonstanBen

Should religious law be implemented into federal law?

KonstanBen

RCampbell96

Con

I am very against having any religious law be added to our own federal system, as we were formed on a basis of a separation of church and state. I would wish that my opponent feels that bible law should become federal law. Tell me how this would help, and I would debate against you. Argue time is set at 24 hours and the max argument is set at 8,000.
KonstanBen

Pro

Accepted.

Observation 1: The resolution doesn't specify a location.
This means that I can look at any place in the world to show that religious law should be implemented, whether or not it's beneficial to the United States.

Argument 1: Caliphates.
Unlike the United States, the Islamic empires are built on religious law. The concept of an empire that is also about religious law is called a caliphate. In what many believe was the golden age of Islam, the Umayyads and Abbasids, the religion of Islam was the foundation of the caliphate [1]. Religious law was implemented into federal law. This was shown to work very well, which is why many Islamic groups are trying to remake caliphates.
Clearly this is showing a place where religious law should be implemented into federal law, meeting my BoP.

Argument 2: Specific laws
My burden is not to show that all religious laws should be implemented into federal laws. In fact, just one will do. "Thou shalt not kill" [2]. This law is one of the ten core laws for the people of the book. This law is one of their many religious laws. This law was implemented into federal law (of course with changed wording) and it remains a very important law.
Clearly this argument proves that there are religious laws that deserve implementation into federal law.

My opponent has asked that I believe that bible law should become federal law, and to a point, I agree. However, there are a few things missing from this statement. The bible only looks at a small number of religions; this debate needs to look globally at all religions. Second, many biblical laws are now outdated. This is part of the reason why I only need to show that some biblical laws would be beneficial (such as thou shalt not kill) instead of all of them.

[1] Book: Strayer, "Ways of the World"
[2] The Old Testement
RCampbell96

Con

RCampbell96 forfeited this round.
RCampbell96

Con

RCampbell96 forfeited this round.
KonstanBen

Pro

Vote pro!
Posted by GamrDeb8rBbrH8r 2 years ago
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Are you referring to US federal law?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
RCampbell96KonstanBenTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
RCampbell96KonstanBenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture