Convoluted_Logic
AndersonHunter

Should religious people be allowed to preach to you on your doorstep?

Convoluted_Logic

Con

I can understand that these people feel they're doing you a favour by sharing their religious views, but I personally find them coming up to my door a bit much. If I wanted to learn about their faith, I would do my own research.
AndersonHunter

Pro

While I find religion in general to be a most ridiculous enterprise, I also respect their right to pedal their product. While I you or I may disagree with what they are trying to convey, they should be afforded the opportunity to convey it however they wish. I have no problem with them coming to my door and giving me their sales pitch. It's no different than other groups trying to sell me candy bars, magazine subscriptions or raffle tickets. They all have the right to knock on my door and offer me what they are selling. I have the option to listen, tell them I'm not interested or slamming the door on them. I often engage in conversation when those of religious ilk show up at my door. You can sometimes make them think a bit as well.
Convoluted_Logic

Con

On the street, I could understand, maybe at shopping centers and public events, but the way some of these people present themselves to myself, and other I've spoken to is rude, pushy and arrogant.

I can respect the notion of wanting to push your wears to the world, but there really is a time and a place for everything. If you ask me, on my doorstep, at completely unpredictable times of the day is neither the time, nor place to try and get me to believe in someone else's god.
As an Atheist, I've often been met with ridicule over my lack of belief in a deity. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the length some of these people go to is pure bullying and slander.
AndersonHunter

Pro

AndersonHunter forfeited this round.
Convoluted_Logic

Con

Arguments extended.
AndersonHunter

Pro

I must ask if you are offended by people coming to your door to pass out pamphlets for a political candidate, a proposition that is to be voted on or or other things of this nature? These people are also promoting a certain point of view and trying to persuade you in some way. Do you find these situations equally troublesome and object to them in the same way?

Even though I object to just about everything religion has to offer and asserts, I will still defend their right to promote their product, spread their message and interact with citizens. They have every right to come to your front door and ask if they can talk to you about their products or views. You have every right to say no, interact with them or simply shut the door. They have the same right to come to your door as political advocates, sweeper salesmen or Girl Scout cookie peddlers. They are all attempting to do the exact same thing, which is to sell their "product" to you.

We all have the right to share our views, promote our ideas or attempt to sell our goods...even if that means going door to door to do so. We also have the right to ignore, reject or refute those attempts. No one possesses the right to "not be offended or inconvenienced".
Convoluted_Logic

Con

Convoluted_Logic forfeited this round.
AndersonHunter

Pro

AndersonHunter forfeited this round.