HellaFella
KostasT.1526

Should religious people be eliminated?

HellaFella has forfeited round #2.

HellaFella

Pro

I don't mean actually eliminated as the title suggests; but a religious man's delusion into insanity believing in mythical beings plucked out of thin air have no place in today's age of reason. practises like homeopathy and reiki are the works of quacks and have no evidence yet people still profess them to be a valid reasonable for of medicine. how long can we tolerate the religious population to spread their harmful claims about homosexuality, culture and media? Time and time again we have given them chances to reform their beliefs switching from superstition to logic.
KostasT.1526

Con

Hello, and thank you for this debate.

I assume that by "eliminated", my opponent implies that the theistic beliefs should cease to exist, for they have no basis in reality. Personally, I am an agnostic but strongly lean towards atheism. Therefore, I have not accepted this debate with prejudiced religious intent, nor because I am a theist myself and cling to my belief. I thought it would be good to clarify that.

Pro argues that religion affects today's society with false standards, while spreading the habit of practicing it in various ways, ranging from reiki to homeopathy, which, as my opponent pointed out, have neither logical nor empirical proof. I partially agree. But my opponent here misses something of great significance. As they correctly mentioned, theists have no evidence in favour of their beliefs, but neither do atheists. Hence, I doubt it would be wise to do away with religion, just because it cannot be proven to be true or false yet. Unless it can be proven scientifically and/or logically that religion is wrong and that God does not exist, it would be irrational to throw it away. [1]
Furthermore, although religion so far has not any solid evidence in favour of it, remaining a delusion, it is important for the mentality if certain people, as it provides emotional comfort and sets significant moral standards for the society. Until people come to realise that religion is wrong and apply their own, correct ethics in their everyday life for themselves, we should not, as the title suggests, forcefully "eliminate" it yet.

[1]. A debate of mine concerning whether religion is a delusion or not. I suggest my opponent looks into it a bit.
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by KostasT.1526 8 months ago
KostasT.1526
Now that was disappointing.
Posted by KostasT.1526 8 months ago
KostasT.1526
Hello there
Posted by canis 8 months ago
canis
How does Santa and the Boogeyman go from non-fiction to fiction..?..Well your uncle was Santa, and you never saw a boogeyman under your bed.. just as your father was teling you.
How does a god and a devil go from non-fiction to fiction ?