Comeatmebruh666
IvorDude

Should rhetoric and philosophy be taught in elementary school?

Comeatmebruh666 has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

Comeatmebruh666

Pro

#First round is for accepting the debate.#
So my opinion is that children should be introduced to philosophy and rhetoric at a younger age so they could better adjust to the mindset and so they would philosophise with greater adequacy and skill.
IvorDude

Con

I accept the debate. I won't put an argument here until next round. Good luck! This one sounds interesting.
Comeatmebruh666

Pro

So as my base argument I propose a basic training in rhetorics and a minor philosophy course for elementary school. This could work out to make our youngs more ready for secondary school and to enhance their own inate apt for thinking and perceiving. Also I would like to make clear that the courses I would like to intoduce would be very basic so it would be enjoyable for the children.
IvorDude

Con

I would argue that to teach someone philosophy, even the basics, requires that they have real-world knowledge and application for the philosophy. In elementary school, children have basically no real-world experience to base such things off of. This basically renders the teaching useless until they have experienced enough life to understand what they were taught. I would say that this comes into play around 10th grade, or high-school. They are just too young to understand. Meanwhile, 14% of Americans are illiterate and 19% of high-school graduates can't read. Time would be much better spent teaching things like that rather than philosophy.
Comeatmebruh666

Pro

I disagree with your statement that philosophy requires real-world knowledge. First of all, the basic philosophy I would recommend to be taught would be only epistemology and some ontology, neither of which require any real experience.
Also the courses would consist mainly of rhetoric and that could be taught by first letting the children work with some easy syllogisms in the form of poems. Then they would proceed to study argumentation and try simple arguments in groups. This could actually help with your country's language education in a sense that it would make the students more fluent in the use of your language. Even though this debate is a bit biased towards my own country's excellent percentage of literacy and our great educational system, but it could still improve your county's ability to teach illiterate people to read and write.
IvorDude

Con

Those are very good points, and if integrated well into the system they might work. However, another argument and problem is that teaching such things could be used as a method of persuasion in terms of politics and such. If children are taught the benefits of marxism and the problems with capitalism, they might be more inclined to support marxism rather than capitalism. This could cause problems when they come of age to vote, as their earliest teachings would have been of a certain persuasion.
Posted by Pasanti 2 weeks ago
Pasanti
I think philosophy should be a must in early ages because it requires deep though and analyzation , something that is poorly taught at public schools.