gglv
Yeeet2016

Should rich people (250k+) have to pay more in taxes?

gglv

Pro

My question is should rich people (those who make 250k+) be forced to pay more in taxes? I am asking this because of the upcoming Presidential Election and this is a moral/logical question that has stumped me for days so I am interested in hearing other people's points of view. I personally like Bernie Sanders as he advocates for the poor, and working classes, but is it excessive of him to charge a 50% tax on those considered to be "rich"? I like him because he wants to close corporate and wealthy tax loopholes, and he isn't your typical corporate influenced congressman. These people take money away from society where they got it from (people buying their products, services etc.), and instead of investing some of it back into the people or economy, they hide it in offshore accounts and invest it overseas. I am personally for Bernie taking away from the elite who rake in millions and billions of dollars every year, but will his plan to impose a 50% tax on those making say, 250k a year, halt small businesses and destroy incentive to study in medical, law, and business fields that we need so desperately, despite the fact that small businesses will be catching tax breaks? The argument that is against it is why should someone have to pay more taxes just because they invest 60 hours a week of blood,sweat and tears into a business just to see a huge bulk of their money go to some underachieving individuals health care and education? I think it is a moral obligation of those who are well off to not neglect those who aren't, as the bible mentions this also, but even many of my Christian friends don't seem to favor this ideology. Many impoverished people simply lack opportunity to better themselves financially, are forced to work tiring hours every week with no opportunity to advance due to family constraints and still lack the financial means to take care of their families properly (health care, food, time off for family obligations etc.). Not every poor person is a "lazy, drug addicted, alcoholic". So essentially what I am asking is: Is Bernie's higher tax margin too low at 250k? A million dollars is plenty to live off of every year, even with a 50% tax, as compared to someone getting taxed 10% making a measly 25k a year. This money leads to better health care as it takes away the power from BigPharma, provides incentive for more kids to go to college and work hard as they can avoid a long life of debt, and just overall improves the quality of life for everyone. Please share fact based ideas, I hear and see enough political trash on social media every day already.
Yeeet2016

Con

Well lets look at Bernie Sanders. He has repeatedly supported free healthcare and free college. Well let me ask you why do you support a man who has no way of paying for this? He says by simply taxing wal street it can be paid for. Then when he looked at the facts, the moderators of the Dem debate told him "that simply can't work." So he then supported a tax on the "1%" which naturally gets a big applause but what does it do? Simply applying taxes to account for free healtcare and college won't work. He can't pay for it. Although being a Conservative i do support taxing the rich more and small businesses less to stimulate the economy. Now on free healthcare. Have you looked at Canada? They have free healthcare.. it's great! Only downside is NO ONE CAN GET WHAT THEY NEED ON TIME AND THERES LONG WAITING LINES. Meaning if you broke your arm you would be put on a waiting list with THOUSANDS of people ahead of you. It doesn't work. A government run healthcare plan doesn't work either. Under Obama/ Hillary if shes president premiums have sky rocketed. From 5% all the way to 40% at times. And guess what? It kills the economy because of these premiums. Also if you don't want Obama guess what? Yes you get taxed. This reasons plus many more make me steer clear of the former Communist now Socialist Bernie Sanders.
gglv

Pro

Well for one thank you for completely not answering my question, and possibly adding onto my current knowledge of this topic as is the point of this entire debate being set up. I am aware of the impossibility of imposing a tax for health care and college completely on wall street and corporate evasion. There needs to be a higher tax imposed on every class, not just the top 10% to accomplish this. I was asking if Bernie's medial cut off tax rate of 50% at 250K income is too low, or if it is fair to do so to someone making say 300k, but but not to someone making a mere 30k a year. Also will it destroy incentives to study high income fields that our economy so desperately needs, and start small businesses despite the huge tax breaks owners will be receiving? I don't need any non-sense off of Facebook acquired knowledge. Bernie is actually not a communist and not exactly a liberal. He is an independent, democratic socialist running for the democratic ticket in the campaign as it will give him the best chances of winning the election. Many great presidents have enacted similar policies as Bernie's such as Reagan, Eisenhower, Woodrow Wilson, and the Roosevelts. Please do not give me trash as I am simply trying to expand my range of political and economic knowledge with this debate. Many of your points can be invalidated by a simple search on politifact.com . I don't need reiterations of candidates' websites, I am searching for facts.
Yeeet2016

Con

Once again i would like to add (if i didn't say before) Bernie when asked multiple times supported a 95% tax rate on the 1% which is absolutely dumb. Also once again i would tell you that Bernie would need a tax rate that was inconceivably large for him to pay for what he wants to. Does that answer your question? Im confused as to what you said was wrong in my last post. I believe i made complete sense and you have yet to refute one of my statements. In addition Bernie's tax plan is atrocious and yet again i can't see how any normal human can support such a tyrant.
gglv

Pro

gglv forfeited this round.
Yeeet2016

Con

You forfeited? damn.
gglv

Pro

gglv forfeited this round.
Yeeet2016

Con

Yeeet2016 forfeited this round.
gglv

Pro

gglv forfeited this round.
Yeeet2016

Con

Yeeet2016 forfeited this round.
Posted by Yeeet2016 11 months ago
Yeeet2016
By the way i didn't call him a communist at all he was actually marching with the communist party when he was younger.
Posted by Yeeet2016 11 months ago
Yeeet2016