NoobyGurl
lannan13

Should same sex marriage be legal

lannan13

NoobyGurl

Pro

Why shouldn't same sex marriage be legal in every state? Some of the states have already decided to legalize it. A piece of paper isn't isn't gonna solve it all but it's a good place to start. The states should just legalize it and move on. It really isn't that big a deal. There are hundreds of more important issues. It will just cause more problems the longer we delay it. I don't know why we would want our children to grow up in a world where people have freedom, but they really don't. Honestly me and my friends talk about this too, and nobody disagrees with same sex marriage. They feel the same way I do. We have always felt this way, we don't understand why it is such a big deal. Please explain to me why it is such a big deal. I do not understand why a women and women or a man and a man can't get married. I do not understand why they are treated differently and why they are persecuted. I don't understand why we do not have acceptance for them yet. It hurts my heart to know that we live in a world filled with so much hate that some would rather die than be who they are. I do not know why we would want to be the cause of that hate.
lannan13

Con

Throughout history there has been a great amount of hatred towards religion based on their association with government. A key example here is France. The French clergy imposed their way of life upon the Frenchmen and did not have to pay taxes. They lived such a lavious lifestyle while many of their church goers were increasingly poor. The anger at the church caused the Revolutionary’s to defame Christianity and they even set up their own Pagen church. Today, with the popular opinion of the public swinging towards tolerance and even Pope Francis permitting this we must get religion out of the government completely. By doing this we must privitize marriage. How do we do that you may ask? It is as simple as from the government recognizing Civil Unions instead of marriage. That way the church may protect marriage and the government does not interfear with it.

What are Civil Unions you may ask? According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a Civil Union is a legal relationship between two people of the same sex that gives them some of the same rights and responsibilities that married people have. [1] Let me show you it's effectiveness. New Jersey and Vermont both have legalized Civil Unions instead of Gay Marriage and they give you the same exact right as a married couple. Here's who can enter a Civil Union.

The same sex over 18 years old (or meet requirements for an exception)not a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriagenot closely related to each other (for example, not an ancestor, descendant, sibling, niece, nephew, aunt or uncle)[2] Also according to Pew research Center, 57% of Americans approve of Civil Unions (with a 37% oppose) while 53% of Americans oppose Gay Marriage (37% favor).

Here are the support numbers between men and women. Men Civil Unions: 54% for 40% against, women Civil Unions: 60% for 35% oppose, Men Gay Marriage: 34% for 59% oppose, Women Gay Marriage 43% for 48% against. [3]

Civil Union produce tons of money. In Hawaii on one single day then generated, $1.4 million a day it also increased tourism to Hawaii by 43%! They have shown that if the current status quo continues then they will produce $2.2 million a year due to homosexuals visiting the state. Also in Hawaii they get health insurence. [4]

Now we have officially eestablished that Civil Unions are more popular, effective, and more economically sound.
NoobyGurl

Pro

Civil union. They are still keeping same sex couples separate from opposite sex couples. They give them part of what they want but not all of it. It really makes me sad how we feel the need to make something new just so same sex couples won't be able to get married but we can still say "It's the same thing." This is a simple human right that all humans should be able to have, not just same sex couples. I do not know if I am interested in the same sex or the opposite sex. I would like to know that whatever i choose I will be able to marry my lover in the future. I do not know why anyone should have to settle for a civil union. I think it is so stupid how same sex couples are not allowed to be married. You are entitled to your opinion and your beliefs, but so are they. I am sometimes ashamed to be human. We fight against each other on little subjects like same sex marriage. Kids shouldn't grow up worrying about be attracted to the same sex. It would have been much easier to just let them get married, rather then allow them a civil union. I would love to live in a world were people are not treated differently because of the sex they are attracted to or there skin color or anything that doesn't concern who they are deep down inside. I have at times thought that I was attracted to the opposite sex, and then worried what other people think. It made me cry I had thought I would lose all my friends, that I would be persecuted, and my family would dis-own me. I had thought about suicide. Then I remembered that God loves all of his children and for some reason this is forgotten. I have no idea why this is still a problem. Just let them get married. I have felt like I would rather die than live in this world, for fear of bring treated differently. I hate how we can't just give them the basic rights they are entitled to. What happens in the bedroom is nobody's business. I want my little sisters, my little cousin, my friends, me, and everyone to be able to live in a world where we are all accepted and we can marry who we choose and not have to settle for a civil union.
lannan13

Con

My opponent is flawed. I'm not arguing that Same sex couples could not get married, I'm running the counter plan that Privitizes marriage, but instead the federal government recognizes Civil Unions. Gays can still get married, but marriage is not recognized by the government thus the resolution is negated.
NoobyGurl

Pro

They should not be given the option to have a civil union and not get married. I might not be the same, but that's not important. No freedom 'till we're equal, damn right I support it.
lannan13

Con

My opponent concedes.

Thank you and please vote Con.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
NoobyGurllannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by Pro in R3. Pro doesn't do anything to refute Con's case I'm more convinced my Con's arguments, because Pro didn't refute them. Con is the only one who used sources.