Peanut26
Bravo8675309

Should school be later in the day?

Peanut26

Pro

I think that the days in the school should be longer, I think this because some people aren't used to waking up early and getting ready in time. I fight my parents to wake up. They should change the time from 7:45 to 8:30, what if some students don't wake up in time for the bus or what if their ready and just catch the bus. If they bus is late they miss important lessons and schoolwork. I think the day in the school should start later in the day.
Bravo8675309

Con

Disregarding the fact that not all educational institutions operate at this start-time, we will assume that all schools open at 7:45 for the purposes of this argument.

Keep in mind that you haven't sought a smaller time-slot in your argument. Essentially, school would still run the same length of time, merely 45 minutes later. Instead of departing school at, say, 2:15 (or in more course-intensive schools, 2:45), students would be leaving classes at 3:00 or 3:30 in the afternoon. This serves as an impediment to extra-curricular activities, as some engagements are conducted at precisely these times. This essentially limits what students are able to pursue outside the classroom.

Also keep in mind that energy generally obeys a linear decline during the afternoon and evening. The later in the day or night, the harder it is to retain focus. Some individuals observe spikes in their energy during the night, but this typically gives way to fatigue as the hours move on. Now consider that your arrangement would relegate a more substantial portion of work to later afternoons. Average high-school students report 4-6 hours of homework each weeknight, making for a 45-55 hour work week. Combined with the knowledge that the average high-school student gets only 6 hours of sleep per night, this decision is actually far more harmful than beneficial.

https://igennus.com...
http://www.cfah.org...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Peanut26

Pro

Peanut26 forfeited this round.
Bravo8675309

Con

A thank-you to my opponent for posting about an issue I hadn't much considered before!
Peanut26

Pro

Peanut26 forfeited this round.
Bravo8675309

Con

Bravo8675309 forfeited this round.
Peanut26

Pro

Peanut26 forfeited this round.
Bravo8675309

Con

Bravo8675309 forfeited this round.