Should school be sorted by age?

I think school should be sorted by intelligence and maturity.

Most people would say this is a bad idea because they think the littler kids would not "fit in". I think differently, if they are intelligent enough to get in the grade, their mind is developed enough to get along and "fit in" with younger or older students. If the student were to be sorted by age (let's say this student was on the high end of education for their age) that student would, most likely, not be as abled to make friends or "fit in" with people their age because they are most likely more mature and they would be thought of as nerds.

I also think sorting students by age is a bad idea because a student on the low end of education would be struggling to catch up, and less likely to succeed. Where as a student on the high end of education would ultimately become bored with the lessons, and may become a problem with the teacher, because of their boredom.

That is why I think school should NOT be sorted by age.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

To start off I would like to point out an error in my opponent's logic. My opponent seems to believe that intelligence and maturity are equivalent, and just because someone is smarter than average that he or she is also more mature than average for his or her age. This is simply untrue. IQ and maturity have nothing to do with each other According to University of Texas at El Paso, maturity is based on social experiences, and learning from them[1]. To state that someone say age 8 or 9 have had enough social experiences to be mature just because they are more intelligent is preposterous. In fact, as my opponent argued earlier, they may be labeled as a "nerd" and have less interactions with others, therefore giving them even less maturity than average! My opponent's own logic seems to dismiss his claims that intelligent people are more mature.

But this is simple on one end of the spectrum, regarding high-achieving students. Let's look at the other end.

It has been noted that there are many people with learning disabilities and even social disabilities, resulting in lower IQ's. My opponent's hopes to sort education based on intelligence would have a 16 year old kid with a learning disorder placed with elementary kids. My opponent earlier claimed that in the current system, smart kids can be labeled as "nerds" which isn't good for them. However, in my opponent's proposed system, you can have older kids mixed with much younger kids, who can result in the same thing. If someone is held back three times, how do you think that student's will react to him? "Stupid", "retard", "idiot" are just some of the names they could be called.

My opponent's attempts to completely disregard age is both foolish and unsustainable. The fact is that students of different ages have different needs. A simple way of showing this is the study done by the National Sleep Foundation which shows that younger people need more sleep[2]. To claim that you can expect the same from people of different age groups simply because they have similar IQ's is not factual. Again, a teenager with a learning disability may have the same "intelligence level" as an elementary student. However, the elementary student may just be a normal kid who learns at a normal rate while the teenager is a below-normal kid who learns at a much slower rate. Not only could placing the two in the same class prove ineffective, but it could also discourage the much older student, realizing that he is in a classroom full of children.

A study done by Jo Boaler took ordinary students, mixed them randomly, and labeled some as "high achieving" and others as "low achieving"[3]. What was found was that it solely became true, and the students actually began to perform better or worse depending on where they were placed. What this shows is that placing students based on intelligence hurts the students who are not high IQ students, and actually encourages them to do worse.

With the evidence put forth, I would like that the motion as thus stated be dismissed.

CASAD forfeited this round.

Will forfeit this round also to keep things even.

CASAD forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has forfeited again, allow me to make a quick closing remarks.

School should definitely be sorted by age. Though it isn't perfect, kids of the same usually have a similar level of maturity and also things like attention spans. School wasn't the same from when you were in 1st grade all the way up until 8th grade. Interests change. Things like coloring become too "childish", and you lose a lot of free time to do more work. Even if a kid is smart, he/she is still a kid, and should be treated as such. What my opponent suggests takes children's childhoods away from them, just because they are smart. I propose to reject the motion and let kids be kids, instead of mixing up intelligence for maturity.

Please vote to reject the motion.

Vote Placed by GOP 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit- Pro used sources.