Dpowell
fred70

Should school days be shorter? Attempt #2

Dpowell

Con

Debate Rules:
* No trolling
* No unreliable sources (i.e. Wikipedia)
* No foul language

Debate Schedule:
* First Round- Acceptance
* Second Round- Initial Arguments
* Third Round- Rebuttals and Further Arguments
* Fourth Round- Last Words.
fred70

Pro

make them do the books long time always if kids say no books hit with stick till they love the books. give them big books and more of books. if look and no book no food no sleep and hit hard with stick.
Dpowell

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Section 1:
To start off by explaining the disadvantages of shorter school days.

* Possibility of an extended year. All over the country, schools have a certain amount of instructional hours that each teacher is required to meet and each student is required to attend. If the school days were shorter, they'd have less time to meet these requirements, therefore the school years would have to be longer. So students would have less, but more.

* Diminished instruction quality... When a student enters Middle School and/or High School, they start taking science classes and every now and then they do labs in those classes. With a shortened day, teachers have less instructional time, which then means less lab time and less time for the students to either learn anything, perform the lab or do so correctly. It would be like this for similar classes too. Without the time they already have, teachers wouldn't be able to teach anything and students wouldn't be able to learn anything.

* Hurts the teachers. Shortening the school days would hurt the teacher just as much as the students, just for different reasons. Throughout each school year, both student and teacher gain something. The student gains knowledge and the teacher gains a paycheck. But with shorter school days, teachers would be getting less hours, which means less money they'll get paid. Lets do some math for a bit. Shall we?

- The average salary for a teacher in the U.S. ranges between $37,540 - $56,316 with 180 school days. Now for this "experiment" if you will, I will use the maximum average salary. Okay, so to start off, let's assume that each teacher works 9 hours a school day, 5 days a week. This is not taking into consideration overtime (i.e. after school activities), or snow days. This means that each teacher works approximately 1,620 hours each school year. So, they'd make around $34.76 per hour. That's $312.84 a paycheck, not counting for taxes. Eventually they all add up and the teachers get their paychecks at the end of the school year. Usually anyway. That seems pretty good, seeing as a lot of us usually think that teaching doesn't really pay well. But that thought can become a reality, if we make the school days shorter. Their hourly pay may decrease and they salary would definitely decrease. By how much is dependent on how many hours one plans to take off the school days. So in the end, it's doing more harm than good.

Section 2:
I was planning on discussing another topic for this section, but since my opponent decided to ignore the debate's schedule and went ahead and made an argument in the first round, I will rebut one of their points. The point in question? Hitting a student with a stick. This can have many disadvantages, mostly mental. As an abused child, I know what kind of effects physical and mental beatings can have on someone. First off, it degrades the child. It makes them feel like they'll never be able to do anything right and that they're worthless. This eventually leads to depression, which then leads to them falling out from society and then possibly suicide. Also, depending on the severity of that depression, the student in question may start falling behind in class which may prompt more beatings or the student to just flat out going to that class or school altogether. It would hurt the child's education. That's probably why it's illegal to hit children in some states. And there are a ton more reasons. I would like to ask my opponent and the readers to please read through the very last link at the end of this round, it will shed some more light on the disadvantages of hitting a child. I would have loved to delve deeper, but I'm afraid that I'm out of time.

Again, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and I look forward to reading their arguments.

http://education.seattlepi.com...

https://www.google.com...

https://www.google.com...

https://answers.yahoo.com...
fred70

Pro

If son of mine say no to the books I say of him I take belt on your face 3 times.
Dpowell

Con

Section 1:
As I have pointed out in the last round, shorter school days won't help the students. Well, Ayesha Almazroui wrote an article about their schooling situation out in Dubai. According to Dr. Mohammad Bin Ham, the students are spending way to much time in school. That they're not getting enough time to do homework, play or be with their families. The writer, Ayesha, also stated that the classes are growing and that the students barely have enough time to learn anything as it is. Shortening the school days wouldn't help them at all. According the Ayesha, it's illegal in Dubai to get private tutoring, but parents are being forced to break that law due to the lack of time the students are getting in class. Would shortening the school days really fix this problem? I don't think so.

Section 2:
I will use this section to point out that my opponent hasn't given me something to refute, but simply went along with the same point that I refuted in the last round. To this extent, I shall carry that same rebuttal to this round, which will then conclude my arguments for said round.

I look forward to my opponent's arguments and rebuttals.

http://www.thenational.ae...
fred70

Pro

I try for you. If skool day put short for them, I say no do it.
I say always books for them always
Dpowell

Con

Well we've finally reached the end of this debate. It was good while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end. So let's recap. My point was that school days should not be shorter because it would greatly damage the students' education and the teachers' pay. I also refuted my opponent's point of beating the children until they learn, saying that that wouldn't work and would only damage the child's mental health. If the reader's would notice, I didn't refute his other point, which was force them to read the books. This is because the students already have to read the books in order to do their classwork or homework. Though, they are free to go on without it. So there was no reason to refute that. Either way, I enjoyed this debate and I look forward to reading my opponent's last thoughts. Have a nice day.
fred70

Pro

I try for this thing. I try best and always.
I put for voters my heart. I try more of many for help. :(
Posted by Irish_Nutter 1 year ago
Irish_Nutter
(Technically) Yes, but that means improving the teachers and the board of education and getting more learning done in that time. If you go to elementary school you probably don't learn that much in a day so some time is just wasted. Since the students have to be at a certain standard by the time they're finish their grade, the teachers have to be more efficient and the students have to pay attention better in class to produce the same product in a shorter amount of time. Likely, this would not work since the students aren't going to pay better attention in class.