Jon_Spidle
ConservativeGiraffe

Should school foods be healthy

Jon_Spidle has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Jon_Spidle

Con

No, because what about the underweight people who need to gain weight? Sure, there should be healthier options for the obese people, but not for the underweight because then the underweight won't be able to gain it in the first place.
ConservativeGiraffe

Pro

My opponent fails to provide any definitions for their side, which I will now proceed to do:

Healthy - free from disease or pain; enjoying health and vigor of body
(Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com...)

With this definition, I have disproved my opponent's argument; "healthy" is not necessarily low-calorie. Furthermore, a wholesome diet would lead to better academics:

"Learning information depletes the brain's supply of glucose, according to Scholastic.com. Therefore, it is important to refuel children's glucose supplies with a healthy lunch. Scholastic.com suggests whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean sources of protein. A healthy lunch can give children the energy they need to stay focused, pay attention in class, and learn the information presented to them in their classes after lunchtime." (Source: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com...)

Numerous studies have shown the affect of food on a student's education:

"Nutrition also indirectly impacts school performance. Poor nutrition can leave students" susceptible to illness or lead to headaches and stomach aches, resulting in school absences (Brown, Beardslee , & Prothrow-Stith, 2008). Access to nutrition that incorporates protein, carbohydrates, and glucose has been shown to improve students" cognition, concentration, and energy levels."
(Source: www.wilder.org)

With a simple definition I have affirmed the resolution, and I urge you all to vote for Pro.
Posted by ConservativeGiraffe 3 weeks ago
ConservativeGiraffe
So...I guess I won that, then?