27bethmcguinness
astronautlevel

Should school holidays be spread out more evenly?

astronautlevel

27bethmcguinness

Pro

I don't think they should. Many people think the summer holiday is too long and for example the Christmas holiday is too short and that some of the summer weeks should be moved to Christmas. However I would definitely prefer to have a long summer when it is usually warm and dry and we can therefore do more outdoor activities, furthermore this is usually the time most family's go abroad on holiday. During the winter there are much fewer outdoor activities you can do as it is usually cold, wet and windy.
astronautlevel

Con

I will gladly debate this subject with you.

Alright. Since you say that school holidays should not be spread out, I will argue that the school holidays should be spread out.

1) Summer Learning Loss
In the United States, only about 9.2% of students go to any summer learning system of any time, even if just a fun science expo. Because of this, what is called "Summer Learning Loss" occurs. Students with a disadvantage fall back in reading, and students who are moderate don't increase at all.

It is simple common sense that if you don't practice a skill, you lose it. Over the very long summer vacation, 80.8% of students DO NOT practice their skills, as such forgetting them.

If there was a shorter summer vacation and a longer winter vacation, and other vacations spread out along the way, then students would retain their information more and lose less information over the long summer vacation.

2) United States as compared to countries that have spread out vacations
The United States main competitor in education is China. In a test, China did much better than the United States. I will attribute this to the vacations of both countries. In China, there are 2 months of summer vacation and 2 months of winter vacation. Because of this, students do not forget information over the summer, and as such have performed better than the United states has.
27bethmcguinness

Pro

27bethmcguinness forfeited this round.
astronautlevel

Con

astronautlevel forfeited this round.
27bethmcguinness

Pro

27bethmcguinness forfeited this round.
astronautlevel

Con

My opponent has neither refuted my facts or posted new ones.
Posted by astronautlevel 3 years ago
astronautlevel
I just realized that my opponent took the pro stance but then argued against it...
Vote Placed by drafterman 3 years ago
drafterman
27bethmcguinnessastronautlevelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit