emilydebate
1harderthanyouthink

Should school hours be dropped to spend more time with family?

1harderthanyouthink

emilydebate

Con

I think that school hours should remain the same to meet deadlines such as yearly tests. School is about preparing you for the work world. Work days start as early as 6:00 AM and end as late as 5:00 PM. That is even longer than the school day.
1harderthanyouthink

Pro

The reason I believe school should be shorter is because some classes that most, if not all schools have, are utterly useless. I will go down a list of things I read in a Washington Post article [1]
  1. Languages: people cannot learn languages by listening to a teacher say a few words next to their English counterpart. You can only really learn a second language if you physically immerse yourself in the culture with the language. Why? You get to learn how it is spoken in real life (i.e. idiomatic speaking), and you can learn aspects of the language that is never replicated in a classroom ( i.e. intonation) [2].
  2. Health class: now I'm sure not every school district teaches sex-ed like this, but I think it's a good, accurate replication of the real world. Joking aside, many schools teach their kids lies about drugs, even the one proven to be far less dangerous than alcohol (marijuana): especially when the school has the D.A.R.E. program (75% of US public schools): but I won't rant about our drug prevention programs right now.
  3. Chemistry: I don't really think that high-schoolers and some middle-schoolers should have to memorize the periodic table like it's going to get you everywhere in life.
It's not rocket science that students slack off in school, many do because they feel trapped in the curriculum, and they don't want to be a robot. What if we made days shorter? And besides, how many high school students have time for a few hours of homework after school, sports, and other after-school activities, especially if the days are longer? The stress of these things can become unbearable, and 30% of COLLEGE STUDENTS suffer from depression [3]. Imagine if middle schoolers were doing as much work.

My last source may not be about middle and high school students, but you just have to put two and two together. A longer day could be dangerous. However, the shorter day is helpful for one's health, which should be more important than any lie...I mean lesson...about history.

Shorter school days can let students partake in more extra-curricular activities, and it can even cut education costs. A 1 and a half hour shortening can lead to a 6-20% decrease in costs [4].

Many people that lived during the times where school was shorter than today recall students being more attentive and active in their studies [5]. They went home earlier and exercised more, and oh, yes, there goes PE from today's school. And what I mean when I say subjects that have no meaning is that the time is very much there, even in the short day, especially with those subjects gone. Most periods are 40-50 minutes per class, so just a PE/health being removed would be a good start in my opinion.

That's all I have for my first round.

emilydebate

Con

emilydebate forfeited this round.
1harderthanyouthink

Pro

I have nothing to post.
emilydebate

Con

emilydebate forfeited this round.
1harderthanyouthink

Pro

End debate
Posted by emilydebate 2 years ago
emilydebate
Sorry I did not mean to FF and I will post my round here.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
emilydebate1harderthanyouthinkTied
Reasons for voting decision: Emily did not debate, thus I give arguments, sources and conduct points to Pro.