coolmikeb
cameronl35

Should school uniforms be mandatory in american schools?

cameronl35

coolmikeb

Pro

This debate will cover the problems of school uniforms, and why they should or should not be mandatory. I for so am the pro.

May the best debater win

Rules: Stay on topic
cameronl35

Con

I accept..going to be interesting with 60 minute time frames.

Pro has the BoP to prove that uniforms should be mandatory in all American schools.

For clarity here are some definitions:

mandatory-authoritatively ordered; obligatory [1]

When we refer to school uniforms we refer to clothing that everyone would have to wear.

Thanks for proposing the fun topic and let's get this started!

http://dictionary.reference.com...
coolmikeb

Pro

I believe there are many reasoning's for school uniforms. First of all, here is a list of problems that school uniforms resolves:
reduce peer pressure (competition)

increase school pride

gear focus more to learning

assist in discipline problems

create a more work-like atmosphere

less distractions

Also, to add, uniforms help stop religious problems. Someone's believes may be to were certain clothing. School uniforms would stop this "racism" along with solving money problems.

Some families may not have enough money to buy their children appropriate-like clothing. Kids who have a higher dressing rights (money wise) would tease and discourage the other person.

I will stop here for the final round.

http://www.terrebonneparish.com...
cameronl35

Con

I would like to thank Pro for his interesting case.

Looking over my opponent's case, we see he makes a lot of statements. The first and utmost problem is he has NO justification whatsoever. If there is no justification, NONE of them are correct. Thus my opponent has no valid contentions. I could make a bunch of blanket statements as well like how it would benefit the economy, make the children happy, give children their freedom, provide a form of entertainment, enhance further dressing abilities, and so forth, but I'm going to give the voters in-depth reasons as to why uniforms should not be mandatory.

Contention 1: To require uniforms to be obligatory would be to deny students their freedom to express themselves and would rather suppress individuality.
Many children love expressing themselves through their clothes. For example, athletes wear clothes to represent sports. To say that they would get in trouble and it is obligatory to dress a certain way would be to deny them of their liberty and freedom of choice. Pro must address why students in a school should be forced and are obliged to dress a certain way. To force children to wear a certain uniform would be to deny their individuality. Students already have to take certain classes, don't have much time to interact and socialize, and are stressed out with nacademics why not give them a nice way to express themselves? Is it really a crime and is there something wrong with expressing yourself through clothing? Children should not have to wear uniforms simply because that would be to thus deny their freedom and to suppress individuality.

Contention 2: Students do not want school uniforms.
As I mentioned earlier, students should have the right to choose however they want to dress. Many students complain about uniforms and do not want them. Take the SASU for example, students against school uniforms group. [1] If students do not want to wear uniforms then it would be an ultimate violation of their personal opinion as well as aspiration. Thus when we establish that students do not want uniforms AND it would suppress their individuality, to make uniforms obligatory would be ultimately infringing upon the student's interests.

Contention 3: Economic Benefit
To allow students to purchase their own clothes would benefit the economy. Keep in mind there are millions and millions of kids across America. If all of them are allowed to buy their own clothing, imagine the economic benefit. Multiple companies grow rich off of children's clothing such as Diamond Supply Co to huge companies like Nike make all sorts of money off of children's products. Potentially billions of dollars would be lost across America if we were to force them all not to buy clothing.

Brief Rebuttal:

Even though it shouldn't be necessary to refute my opponent's case since it is plagiarised and has no explanation or justification, I'll respond to a portion of it.

My opponent states that it will reduce peer pressure. There is no peer pressure involved with or without uniforms. Students are not peer pressured into dressing a certain way but if they were to have school uniforms they would rather be pressured by their school to dress like everyone else and dress the same as the individuals who perhaps are bullies. Pro's argument actually works against him, rather than for him. He later on states that it increases school pride. Students do not care about uniforms when it comes to pride. If one wants a school to be prideful the students must be happy and at the point at which they are obligated to wear a uniform against their will, they can not be happy and there will be no "pride". Later he states that it will lead to more focused learning. Again there is no direct evidence so we can not assume this is true. Perhaps a more happy student will be geared towards learning, not one who is being violated of their liberty. This goes for both his discipline and work-like atmosphere issue. The best thing for discipline students and a working atmosphere are happy students. if the students are happy because they can express their individuality the atmosphere would increase and the discipline problems would decrease. So Pro's case essentially works towards mine, not his. Finally we come to distractions. This has a potential of being a problem, but really how much of a distraction is a decent outfit from Kohl's going to do? Do kids really pay attention their clothes that much that they won't learn? No justification for this whatsoever.

Pro's next argument essentially discusses discrimination in multiple ways such as racism or religious discrimation. The problem with this is simple. If my opponent is truly advocating for such a thing, then all individuals should not be allowed to express themselves. I would not be allowed to express my belief on this site. I wouldn't be allowed to wear what I want to wear because it might conflict with someone else. My opponent's logic violates all liberties of expression and is the same logic that violates freedom of speech.

Conclusion:

Since the rounds are only 60 minutes I might have to forfeit later but when we look back my opponent has not even successfully justified any of his claims or fulfilled his BoP. He has not established why it would be mandatory for ALL schools to enforce such a policy. My opponent does not even explain the lavish claims he makes. My impact is far greater for I can uphold invididuality as well as benefit the economy. My opponent violates liberties of all individuals and essentially is self-refuting since he himself is discriminating against the individuality of students while trying to prevent racism. All of my opponent's arguments are copied from a website and are not by any means supported. I have provided with somewhat original ideas and have successfully refuted all of my opponent's claims so I urge a CON ballot.

coolmikeb

Pro

coolmikeb forfeited this round.
cameronl35

Con

Extend arguments..time for me to sleep and vote CON
coolmikeb

Pro

coolmikeb forfeited this round.
cameronl35

Con

cameronl35 forfeited this round.
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
are you serious logicrules? a vote bomb?
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
I am going to have to go to sleep pretty soon...sigh
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
coolmikebcameronl35Tied
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
coolmikebcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter-votebombing Logic's bogus vote.
Vote Placed by logicrules 5 years ago
logicrules
coolmikebcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made no argument and showed a lack of understanding.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
coolmikebcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Not sure if Pro really considered his time limits.