Warhawk423
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Should schools adopt a uniform?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Warhawk423

Pro

There's a reason for students who go to private schools and wear uniforms have more success then most public schoolers. This has been an ongoing debate for years, the main argument for the "cons" is that is doesn't allow the students to express themselves but clothing only distracts and creates peer pressure that affects a students progress in school, students can get more then enough artistic expression with uniforms.
Having all students wear the same uniform helps create a sense that you belong somewhere and maintain a good school either by culture or spirit . By showing that the students expect an even higher standard, expectations are soon raised and students will usually respond with a better, more mature, behavior. When the United States began to use uniforms in public school there were many reports of improved discipline.
Uniform has practical advantages. Students don't have to waste time thinking what to wear at the start of each school day. The clothes are designed to be comfortable and safe, with no long trailing sleeves, skirts or hoods to catch on dangerous equipment in workshops or science lessons. It is also very helpful on trips as staff can quickly spot all the students from their school, keeping them out of trouble and making sure no one gets lost.
Wearing a uniform helps to prepare students for the world of work, where uniforms are often worn. People like nurses, soldiers, shop assistants, the police and railway staff wear uniform as part of their job. Many other workers are expected to wear suits - really just a grown up sort of uniform, with little choice about it. Just like these adults, students should dress in uniform when they are in school, getting on with work. After all, students and adults can both change into their own casual clothes at the end of the working day, when they are "off duty".
So to conclude, there is no evidence that says that having uniforms worsens behavior or educational skills.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating this very interesting challenge. In this opening round, I will provide a short argument.

Private Schools
My opponent confuses causation with corelation when he says that students in private schools do better because they wear uniforms. He has the burden of proof to prove: 1) That students in private schools do better, and 2 ) How is this higher rate of success a result of wearing unifroms. Couldn't it be that private schools get more money from the parents and can attract better teachers by paying them higher salaries? Couldn't it be because the provide better, more expensive facilities to enhance learning?

Choices vs Waste of time
Picking what to wear at the beginning of the day gives the students choices. This is far more important than the amount of time they save because they couldn't pick which clothes to wear. Students can easily pick clothes the previous night and set them aside.

World of work
This argument is flawed for two reasons: students are not workers. They or their parents pay for them to go to school. They are the school's customers. The school's responsibility is to provide the best possible classes, facilities, and other services so that students can get the most bang for their buck. It is not their right or responsibility to dictate what the students can or can't wear.
Secondly, not all workers wear uniforms, only some do. When people wear suits, they make a choice to do so. In order to prepare students for the world of work, students must be given choices.

Warhawk423

Pro

I like to start out by thanking my opponent for accepting my challenge and for his brilliant work on his argument.

Private Schools:
The reason for private schooling is because it is known to provide a higher form of education, and my opponent is right teachers do receive higher pays but there are reasons why uniforms in public schools helps too.

Gang Prevention:
Uniforms in public schools prevent and even eliminate the existence of gangs in schools that cause violence and classroom distractions. Without gang members being able to "represent" their gangs at school, it destroys the need to persuade gang activity at school grounds.

School Spirit:
Uniforms also increase a sense of belonging and school pride in the minds and hearts of its students. This method of using uniforms to break down barriers between students allows for a more satisfying school experience, and it also diminishes economical and social walls between students and this advocates unity of society. And this can teach valuable life lessons to the youth of our country.

Choices vs Waste of time:
Spending time on deciding what to wear loses the main reasons to attend schooling which is to learn education for a fulfilling future in life. If students spend less time warring about how they look or worrying if "oh my gosh, do these pants make my butt look big" they can focus and participate more in classrooms.

World of work:
My opponent is right, there are jobs in our world that don't require uniforms, but most jobs that don't require uniforms are the one's people go to university for. Sure, if a student doesn't work hard in school they will be wearing a uniform later... at McDonalds. There are also jobs that do require uniforms and have high salaries like being an accountant or lawyer or even a doctor, so wearing uniforms now can prepare students for the real world.

One last reasons for uniforms is because it teaches discipline a necessary lesson to be learned in life. once again I thank my opponent for accepting my argument, and I'm looking forward to his next argument.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Con

I thank my opponent for his response.

Private Schools
My opponent drops his point that uniforms in private schools help students do better. Private schools have higher funding, higher paid teachers, and better and more expensive facilities which account for student success. My opponent's rebuttal is "uniforms in public schools helps too". However, most researchers are still divided on whether uniforms provide any benefits at all and my opponent hasn't given any credible data on how it helped. Therefore, the success of private schools is not a reason to adopt the uniform in public schools at all but rather a reason to increase funding for public education.

Gang prevention
Gang violence will not be stopped simply by forcing everyone to wear a uniform. Prisons have uniforms but gangs still are very prominent in prisons. However, gangs are not common in colleges or the corporate world where people don't wear uniforms. In order to truly stop gang violence, students must be educated and counseled. They must be given better options than to join a gang. Forcing everyone to come to school wearing a uniform won't solve the root of the problem.

School spirit
A sense of belonging comes when students willingly wear their uniforms, not when they are forced to. Colleges and fans of sports teams wear their team's/college's colors during games. They do this out of their own free will, and that is where the sense of belonging comes from. When forced to wear uniforms, students will merely resent the school for not allowing them to wear what they want. This will not foster a sense of belonging in any way.

Choices vs Waste of time

Pro argues that uniforms help students by not spending time worrying about what they will wear. What if they want to spend time choosing what to wear? This is an argument about whether choice is good or bad. For example, in a grocery store, if you only have one type of cereal and milk available, you would probably pick that and shopping would be over quickly thus saving time. But should we have only one brand of everything in a grocery store? Shouldn't people be able to make the choice as to which one they want despite the fact that shopping might take a little longer?

World of work
My opponent has no response to my rebuttal that students are not workers, so I will repeat it here: Students are not workers. Since they or their parents pay for them to go to school, they are the school's customers. The school's responsibility is to provide the best possible classes, facilities, and other services so that students can get the best return on their investment of time and money. It is not their right or responsibility to dictate what the students can or can't wear.

My opponent then mentions that McDonalds has a uniform. McDonalds is a corporate entity and its concern is that people should represent it in the best possible light. McDonalds pays its workers to come to work dressed in a uniform. Workers agree to those terms when they take up employment there. Schools on the other hand have no right to dictate what the student (customers) should wear. Does McDonalds tell its customers to come dressed in a uniform?

My opponet completely drops the argument that when people wear suits, they make a choice to do so. In order to prepare students for the world of work, students must be given choices.

[1] http://www.greatschools.org...

Warhawk423

Pro

Warhawk423 forfeited this round.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Con

Wow! Really?
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
No sources presented by either side. Look up some of the past debates on this subject. It deserves more serious treatment.

I think students should wear uniforms for the same reasons that judges, airline pilots, and police wear uniforms. It supports a professional attitude.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
That's okay. I thought you left the site but it is nice to see that you haven't.
Posted by Warhawk423 5 years ago
Warhawk423
Sorry, i didn't mean to forfiet but there was a thunderstorm where i live and my internet was out.
Vote Placed by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
Warhawk423F-16_Fighting_FalconTied
Reasons for voting decision: F
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Warhawk423F-16_Fighting_FalconTied
Reasons for voting decision: A weak debate that ultimately fizzled. No references by either side, when there are plenty of experiments and studies to cite. Since DDO has lots of students who don't want to told what to do aout anything, Pro had a mountain to climb. He didn't marshall the evidence.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
Warhawk423F-16_Fighting_FalconTied
Reasons for voting decision: Warhawk423 never provided proof that his first argument was not a correlation-causation fallacy. Not only did he forfeit and drop points (such as claiming that uniform dress codes would help uplift behavior), but he also did not address many of Con's points and contentions, such as Falcon's rebuttal to his "World of work" argument. Consequently, Pro loses points for sources (Con actually provided one source in the second round), arguments, and conduct due to his forfeit.