KungFuDinosaur
Jathushan

Should schools allow corporal punishment

KungFuDinosaur

KungFuDinosaur

Con

Children, having to adapt to their environments, are very curious. Because they have not fully developed into adults, they do not understand what is right and wrong. A child, for example, does not know that eating food out of a garbage can is harmful to their health, and beating the child for not understanding this is not only morally wrong but makes a child fearful of being curious. When a child is beaten for attempting to discover new things, he/she will be afraid to try new things and will even be fearful of adults. This results in psychological damage to the child, leading to anxiety and depression. Also, as displayed in the Bobo Doll Experiment, children mimic the actions of other adults. Children in the study who watched adults punch the doll were more likely to punch the doll themselves. Further studies (Report on Physical Punishment in the United States, 2008) show that children who are beaten or watch adults beat children are more likely to become aggressive in their later life and become less tolerant of controlling their frustration.

Beating children for hitting a peer is unjustified. A better way to teach a child not to hit, steal, harass, etc. is to have them talk to the principle or their parents, or even have them stay after school. This does not make them aggressive in any way, and by having the child think about what he/she did wrong is more likely to correct them from doing the same action in the future.

http://www.npr.org...
http://www.apsa.org...
Report on Physical Punishment in the United States, 2008
Bandura, A. (1965). "Influence of models' reinforcement contingencies on the acquisition of imitative responses". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
Jathushan

Pro

I thank you KungFuDinosaur to have an opportunity to debate you. I would first like to talk about the idea of corporal punishment. I, by no mean want children to get hurt or offended about what I have to say. I was once a student and a child and I can understand this very well. I, when I was ignorant, would not want to have corporal punishment, however, I never realized what can be evolved from it. Corporal punishment doesn"t necessarily have to be resulted from mistakes that one does, regarding eating food from garbage cans or trying to defy the teacher. I have lived through a life of enforced studies and my parents have beaten me until I have achieved what they have desired. I despised that at first until I have seen the good that has done. That has given me the will to stifle forward at any obstacle and to fight for myself. I lived in a society where people act childish intentionally and I have also been led to see the terrible things that it could create. Children do not realize about what they have done, and before they realize the mistakes they have committed, it will be too late. I lived in a class full of incompetent children who would defy teachers, get terrible grades, and without an enforced system upon them, it has spoiled many of the lives of people I used to call friends. I escaped such a fate thanks to my parents and so, I feel like my hard work will pay off. We don"t necessarily have to enforce punishment on everything. However, it should be enforced if after multiple cases of which, the child is not willing to follow to its expectations though it is within its ability, punishment shall be granted. To prevent such a situation, children will learn to survive by placing their effort continuously. I do not wish children to suffer but I will enforce punishment to those who do not comply with a stricter, enforced punishment system.
KungFuDinosaur

Con

KungFuDinosaur forfeited this round.
Jathushan

Pro

Jathushan forfeited this round.
KungFuDinosaur

Con

KungFuDinosaur forfeited this round.
Jathushan

Pro

Jathushan forfeited this round.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
Need some clarification. Just coropal punishments in schools, or out of schools as well? Just Public Schools, or private ones as well? Government enforced, or school admin choice?
Vote Placed by rajun 4 years ago
rajun
KungFuDinosaurJathushanTied
Reasons for voting decision: conduct for Con ff....Pro convinced me that corporal punishment is actually required. resources were on Con. Con has done terrible writing but that's true that pro is only a hairbreadth better.
Vote Placed by Piccini 4 years ago
Piccini
KungFuDinosaurJathushanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has not rebutted Con's arguments, nor built any case whatsoever. Terrible writing. It was a good idea for a debate, it's a shame both sides forfeited rounds 2 and 3.
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 4 years ago
ConservativePolitico
KungFuDinosaurJathushanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Why noobs... why?