Dman13331
MackDamion

Should schools be allowed to teach evolution?

Dman13331

Con

Schools should not be allowed to teach about evolution in Science class. Schools are not supposed to have a bias against any religion. Most school handbooks even talk about how they don't discriminate by religion. Teaching about evolution isn't actually favoring any religion. It is discriminating against every religion except Atheism. People might not believe it, but Atheism is actually a religion technically. The definition of religion is "a particular system of faith or worship." Atheists BELIEVE that their is no God. While not every Atheist believes we descended from apes, they all do believe that there is no God. The Theory of Evolution (also called Darwinism) states that all life in the world came to be how it is now from natural selection. Darwin did not believe that humans descended from apes, but he did believe that we were related to the apes. Teaching about evolution is basically accepting the Atheist belief, which as I stated, is a religion. Accepting the Atheist belief makes it to where every other religion is discriminated against making Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, and even Pastafarians the enemy.
MackDamion

Pro

Schools are already teaching eveolution anyway you see it. Evolution wouldn't necessariy be a science teaching. It is a belief based on what you've learned. History, Mathematics, Science...They are all subjects that could lead up to evolution.

Science would teach the reproduction of animals and how the human body works. This would be the most reasonable answer to evolution. Evolution isn't a course itself. Whatever is learned in science class, someone cantae that and use it as reasoning to evolution.

History teaches what has happened in previous times. It talks about the forming of other religions. It's is the students or persons choice to believe what they want. Evolution is a belief that is not outright taught.

Evolution is a choice. As a school, the entire student body should have to learn ot take a course over evolution. It should be a choice. Maybe a student wants to to take a private course. Evolution should be taught in schools, but as a choice.
Dman13331

Con

Think of it this way. Schools teach that the world was created something billion years ago. This is an evolutionary viewpoint. I mean in the school's defense, you really can't teach a science class without having a bias against one religion or another. If we want to be fair, then we would have to completely remove the science curriculum from school or make it to where there is a different class for each religion. Schools shouldn't be allowed to teach science with an evolutionary basis, but I mean there really isn't another option.
MackDamion

Pro

Evolution isn't a faith or religion. Like I stated in my argument, it's not a faith or religion. It's just a belief based on facts or what you may have learned in school. It's not science; it's only based on facts with science. Science does not teach the creation of the world. it teaches the reproduction of everything in the world.You don't learn it and it isn't taught. If evolution is a belief to you, it's based off of your facts. Facts that you have put together to create your own belief. No. Schools are not supposed to teach anything about religion unless it's a school designed to do so. You can't say evolution shouldn't be taught in schools, because it never is. Basically, evolution is something that was a belief and over time, people just started pulling facts that could form a reasoning for it.
Dman13331

Con

Evolution is a faith. You have FAITH that that we all evolved from some primate thing. You have to have faith to believe in something. There is no way we can prove evolution, just like we can't prove Christianity, so why are we teaching it in the classroom? The US is a democracy so what majority says, ends up being what happens usually. Majority of people don't want their kids "subjected" to the views of religion, so the schools are practically forced to teach evolutionary science. That shouldn't be. I would be fine if they didn't state the evolutionary ideas as facts, but more of theories, but schools said things "did" happen instead of "we thing they happened".
MackDamion

Pro

"You have FAITH that that we all evolved from some primate thing."

• strong belief or trust in someone or something

• : belief in the existence of God : strong religious feelings or beliefs

• : a system of religious beliefs

(Merriam-Webster)

: a feeling of being sure that someone or something exists or that something is true

: a feeling that something is good, right, or valuable

: a feeling of trust in the worth or ability of someone

(Merriam-Webster)

These entries should tell you the difference between the word 'faith' and 'belief'. Evolution clearly isn't a faith because it's the belief in the existence of God. It would be a belief. Christianity is a faith. Baptism is a faith. Evolution and religions are learned in school. They are not taught straightfoward. In school, it is mentioned to help you get a better understanding of why and how it was formed.

History will mention religion and evolution to show you the effect it had that lead up to today's worl problems. Science will mention it to show you possible theories people still have. Unless you go to a school that specifically designed to teach a faith or a belief, you are not outright being taught. Whatever knowledge you collect is what people use to form the theory of evolution.

If you don't like the idea of evolution being mentioned in the middle of a class, then you don't have to listen and you don't have to take in any of that information. In school, you are required to learn. It is not under your control what is taught. Evolution is a part of learning. Maybe learning evolution, or a religion, will help you have a basic understanding of why different people have different views.

Evolution is a belief. Not having taugth in schools won't stop people from believing it. It would be best that you gnore anything that might have to do with that or a relgion because what I undertand is that you want schools to not teach something you probably don't believe in.

Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
adaptation is part of evolution teaching.
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
evolution SHOULD be taught in school because it's a theory, where christianity is a hypothesis. A theory has credible evidence where a hypothesis is hypothetical.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: DarkPoet// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments, Sources), 1 point to Con (S&G). Reasons for voting decision: For every statement that con had Pro had a solid rebuttal.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain conduct, S&G or sources. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The explanation is too overgeneralized, and the voter fails to assess any specific points made by either debater.
************************************************************************
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
From the debate: "There is no way we can prove evolution, just like we can't prove Christianity,"

False.
We have the fossil record, we have the overbite, we have MRSA and many other pieces of evidence.

What does Christianity have?
An old book.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
So you continue to misunderstand evolution...

"Really Evolution shouldnt even be a word, it is all just adaption, Evolution isn't really a thing."

Evolution is a thing. Adaptation is a part of evolution, an intrinsic part. You cannot separate the two.

Yeah, I looked at your link. I then clicked on the link reading "misconceptions about natural selection and adaptation. Guess what I found?

"Natural selection is a powerful process: it produces amazing adaptations"

So adaptation is the RESULT of natural selection. Natural selection is a MAJOR, INTRINSIC part of evolution.

"However you will see each of their explanations are all actually caused by Adaptions."

So... evolution.

"However I do not believe there are any stages of Evolution."

Fossil record.

"The popularly believed Evolution is false and needs to stop being taught. "

You've done nothing to prove this. All you've said it that it's false and not backed it.

"So "Evolution" does not truly exist, it is all adaption and when adaption does enough it is called an Evolution."

That's because it is evolution.

"Also for the sources on Bells, Hammers, Fingers, and Dolls older than Homo Sapiens:
http://maltanow.com.mt......
http://www.genesispark.com......
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net...;

Oh yes. The first one has been debunked via: http://pale.cc...
The second two are obviously biased sources, thus are unreliable.

So in short, you simply fail to understand the basics of evolution.

I'll do my best to explain.

There are numerous mechanisms of evolution, two being natural selection and genetic drift. Let's focus on natural selection: a creature has trait x, but a small population of the species has evolved the trait xy. xy survives better than x. Thus, xy survives, whereas x does not. The entire species then has the trait xy, not x.

This is natural selection. An intrinsic mechanic of evolution. The result of this natural selection is adaptation. It
Posted by Stonehe4rt 1 year ago
Stonehe4rt
So yes, skin can become hair like I said. However, I do admit that Adaption and Evolution are closely nit. However the idea that Evolution carries is incorrect. I suppose you may have misunderstood or I was not clear. Really Evolution shouldnt even be a word, it is all just adaption, Evolution isn't really a thing.

When it comes to Evolution not being Adaption name something about Evolution that couldnt be explained by Adaption. I tried to look for some and this site was what I found: http://evolution.berkeley.edu...

However you will see each of their explanations are all actually caused by Adaptions. Like how Red Blood isnt an adaption itself but what caused it is. Evolution is just a fancy word for Adaption that tries to make it seem like species can just evolve on their own. Or that Humans are a certain stage of some Evolutionary process. However I do not believe there are any stages of Evolution.

I suppose what I truly meant to say is: The popularly believed Evolution is false and needs to stop being taught. Evolution is really just a name for a system of other things. Like Photosythesis is a name of a system of other things that work together to perform the task. Adaption is indeed pretty much all Evolution is, but Evolution is called Evolution when that Adaption affects the whole species and changes it. So "Evolution" does not truly exist, it is all adaption and when adaption does enough it is called an Evolution.

Also for the sources on Bells, Hammers, Fingers, and Dolls older than Homo Sapiens:
http://maltanow.com.mt...
http://www.genesispark.com...
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

We find feats performed in the past yet the first Industrial movement in history truly began in the 1800s. So how is any of this possible?
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
"Skin cells do not become hair...."

Just looked it up, the outer layer of skin is mostly made out of the same ingredient as hair.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
"however Bacteria have the best chance as a species to survive."

Bacteria isn't a species.

" In fact why would the chemicals which were not life, combine into bacteria and evolve if it wanted to not die?"

Single celled organisms cannot want anything. Wanting something has nothing to do with evolution.
However, you say that chemicals are not life. Therefore they are unaffected by evolution, since evolution refers to life. Moreover, that which is not living cannot die. I'm surprised you thought this.

"What we see in Petri dishes and in fossils are not evolution, but adaption."

Adaptation is a massive part of evolution. You have failed to understand this.

" Evolution is the adding of genes, while Adaption is the specialization and enforcement of certain genes. "

No it's not. You don't seem to understand what evolution is at all.

"Like a lizard in a cold climate, maybe one survives because it has more skin cells on it. So this increases and increases over time and eventually you have it growing so much skin cells that it become hairy."

Skin cells do not become hair....
But even so, what you have just described is evolution. Adaptation is a part of it, but it is still evolution.
You cannot separate adaptation and evolution, they are intrinsically linked.

" Things dont just randomly turn into one species to another, it only happens when adapting. "

You don't seem to understand what evolution is. Speciation isn't instant.

" I mean supposedly homo sapiens have only been around for 4 Million Years. However things like Brass Bells, Hammers, Human like fingers, Dolls, ect... date HUNDREDS of millions of years back."

Citation please. I'd like to see where you get your information.
Because right now, your knowledge on evolution would make you fail Biology.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
"What we see is not evolution but adaptation."

In other words, you don't know what evolution is?

Because adaptation is part of evolution. Quite a massive part.

You not understanding evolution is not the same as evolution having flaws.

I'll reply to your comment more in depth when I'm not on my phone.
Posted by MackDamion 1 year ago
MackDamion
evolution isn't a faith or religion. Like I stated in my argument, it's not a faith or religion. It's just a belief based on facts or what you may have learned in school. It's not science; it's only based on facts with science.