debate-me-debates
jbaguire

Should schools be given ability to discipline children?

debate-me-debates

Pro

As a high school student I have come to realize, the mind-set of many of the students isn't where it should be. Perhaps, someone with the hopes of being brought to a public school five days a week is looking at the idea of receiving the education they were not only promised, but also deserve to earn. Lets use an example of what I mean by disciplinary actions, shall we?
Lets say that a student has remained rather rude time after time, even when the student is told to behave and is put out of the classroom for their actions, shouldn't further disciplinary be taken? Sending students outside of a classroom is not only taking away educational time but it can also cause disruption or distraction to others, yes? I believe after a certain amount of times of getting in trouble when in the classroom further discipline should be given. I believe that as they once had, paddle.
Students who know of the paddle were much more respectful of the teachers time and purpose of being there. I have a class now where the teacher cannot get even 12 words in before someone begins to act simply foolish. More actions need to be taken. What is your given opinion?
jbaguire

Con

Schools should not have discipline that uses fear to instill ideas. This is the parent's job, since paddling or spanking the child from parents, is more about the child's knowledge of the parent's disappointment. The teacher uses fear.

A second point is that a teacher may not know a child's pain tolerance. The goal is not to hurt the child. A kid could have damaged nerve endings, or can have panic attacks induced by pain. What of the kid's history? He could have been a victim of abuse, and the paddling could bring back memories of beatings.

The point is that parents know their kids, and teachers do not. So why let them test their own disciplinary methods on our children?
debate-me-debates

Pro

debate-me-debates forfeited this round.
jbaguire

Con

jbaguire forfeited this round.
debate-me-debates

Pro

debate-me-debates forfeited this round.
jbaguire

Con

jbaguire forfeited this round.
Posted by Jrobert 2 years ago
Jrobert
Studies show that corporal punishment by both teachers and parents make children more aggressive. It also increases the chance that the child will develop mental and behavioral disorders.