Should schools have open lunch?

I believe schools should have open lunch because we students sit in a hot, dirty school all day. When it's lunch time, we have to go to the cafeteria and eat processed food that is, in most cases, not healthy. Open lunch allows us to go get our own lunch and eat things we want to eat. Not some gross processed food.

I agree that school food is very processed and unhealthy, but if you don't want to get gross, processed lunch bring lunch to school. They've invented a device called a thermos which keeps your food hot. They've also invented ice packs to keep your food cold.

Yes, however, some kids want to go out and be independent once in a while. Maybe they don't like to pack their lunch.

Well let's pretend I'm a student and I leave school to get lunch. On the way back to school I hit traffic. By the time I get to school the period is almost over. The school might think that I've missed the class on purpose.

Also, some students won't use this time devoted for the students to have lunch for other purposes like selling/buying drugs. Honestly, many students just can't be trusted to leave the school for lunch. At school they are protected and disciplined.

This argument is not my own, but when I was reading about this I read something that someone else wrote about one of their experiences with open campus/lunch:

In high school, my school allowed open campus lunch. One day at a local store about a quarter of a mile from school a hot headed young woman got into an argument with a friend of mine. While I was there to witness the argument, my friend was the bigger person and walked away. The girl proceeded to call a friend of hers and in about 3 minute he pulled up to the store we were at. She described what my friend was wearing and the guy left the store. I tried calling my friend just to let him know what had happened and to be careful and I went back to school. In the last period of the day our principal came on the speaker and made an announcement that my friend had been involved in a hit and run accident at lunch and was in critical condition. The next morning he died. So I say no because sometimes you give to much freedom to the wrong people. Their argument was nothing that serious to lose his life over.

I live in a small town, so we can go wherever we want. We have McDonald's, Dairy Queen, Subway, and lots of other places.

Let say I go to Dairy Queen. Since it's not that far from my school, I walk. When I walk in, the line is 50 miles long. So I go to a different restaurant, and order food. I sit down and eat it and head back to school. When I get back, I find out I'm 10 minutes late to my next class. I get sent to the office and get my open lunch privilege taken away, along with my driving privilege.

So you see, when I'm late, I get my privileges taken away.

Since mostly everyone will go someplace for lunch, they will see someone doing drugs and report them. And the teachers will be able to tell if they have taken drugs or not.

As for the accidents, i live in a very small town. There are hardly any accidents because of how small the town is.

Wholock forfeited this round.
Posted by BlazingRodent 9 months ago
I see a few problems with these arguments.
Posted by Glitter2998 9 months ago
I'm in high school, so 9th grade.
Posted by samdeman22 9 months ago
You should clarify at which stage of school we are talking about, because I agree with you, but only in schools where the pupils are at least say.. 12 years old. Could lead to a disappointing debate if someone just says "well I dont agree because x, y, z, in primary/elementary school; whereas they might agree on a debate focusing on slightly older pupils.
Vote Placed by famousdebater 8 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof and they failed to provide any arguments in their favor. Simply providing rebuttals to Con's case is insufficient if you have the burden of proof. Con's sole argument still stands since Con's argument stated that people will come back from school late. Pro then responded using their personal life as an example to counter. Since the resolution is about all school (it simply says schools), this means that Pro's rebuttal is rendered insufficient in the case of most schools and therefore Con's sole argument stands and Pro was unable to meet her BOP. Conduct is awarded to Pro due to the forfeiture.