frenchfrybabe
LakevilleNorthJT

Should schools have single gender classes??

Con Tied Pro

frenchfrybabe

Con

I oppose this topic because you need to cooperate with boys/girls for your social skills in life. If you are so comfortable with just working with same gender in the class for projects or such. then when you get to college or your job you wont have any experience with teaming up with the opposite gender You need to keep your mind open for everyone's opinions.(girls and guys)
LakevilleNorthJT

Pro

My opponents resolution is in question format so I will have to rephrase.

Resolved: School's should have single gender classes.

I will address my opponents arguments than produce some of my own.

"If you are so comfortable with just working with same gender in the class for projects or such. then when you get to college or your job you wont have any experience with teaming up with the opposite gender"

In this statement, me opponent makes numerous errors. He assumes that the only time guys interact with girls is via certain classes in school. This is untrue. You can always interact and learn to work with the other gender outside of school.

"You need to keep your mind open for everyone's opinions.(girls and guys)"
Restricting the gender of classes in no way devalues the opinion of the other sex.

Now I will give some of my own arguments:

1. My opponent doesn't say that schools as general should be gender restricted but classes. I would argue that in specific classes such as Physical Education, girls and guys have different ability levels. This means that by splitting up genders we will be providing a better atmosphere and a more competitive atmosphere in these specific classes.

2. Studies have shown students learn better when restricted to their gender. Since education is the main purpose of our schooling systems, this is what we should strive for and this is why we should have single gender classes.

3. If guys and girls are separated during school, this will reduce harmful aspects of teenage life such as sex. This will also reduce harms upon teenage girls such as teenage pregnancy which can have a detrimental effect on their lives.

I have disproved my opponents case and have shown why single gender classes are good. Thus in this round, you must vote PRO.
frenchfrybabe

Con

my opponent says that you could interact outside of school with different gender but this is mostly untrue. Where do kids make most of their friends? that is school so if we start seperate classes in elementary then you would only know friends in one gender. also there are numerous other studies that show that coed classes have the same effect as same gender classes. Futhermore my opponent states that coed classes result in teen pregnancy. if you have single sex classes and a guy meets a girl out of school lets say church and this is the only girl this guy has been around becuase of the single sex classes so the guy/girl would think that is what is right because they never had experience talking with other girls/guys in school.in result you have teen pregnancy!

I oppose what my opponent states!!
P.s. im a GIRL!!
LakevilleNorthJT

Pro

I will first address my opponents arguments:

"my opponent says that you could interact outside of school with different gender but this is mostly untrue. Where do kids make most of their friends? that is school so if we start seperate classes in elementary then you would only know friends in one gender."

I would argue that it is untrue that all friends of the opposite gender are made in Physical Education class which is what I am advocating should be single gender based. Kids would have the option of makin friends of the other gender in different classes. I would also argue that kids make a lot of friends of the other gender via sports and other activities they participate in.

"also there are numerous other studies that show that coed classes have the same effect as same gender classes."

I argue there are studies helping my positions and my opponent soes vice versa. So to win this argument I will actually give a link to a study:
http://www.nytimes.com...

"Futhermore my opponent states that coed classes result in teen pregnancy. if you have single sex classes and a guy meets a girl out of school lets say church and this is the only girl this guy has been around becuase of the single sex classes so the guy/girl would think that is what is right because they never had experience talking with other girls/guys in school.in result you have teen pregnancy!"

In this point my opponent conceded interaction out of school occurs.If you see one person of the other gender, doesn't automatically lead to sex. Also these kids would meet in school because I am only advocading seperation of gender in certain classes.

"I oppose what my opponent states!!
P.s. im a GIRL!!"

In a debate you are supposed to oppose what I say. Your gender doesn't matter. My opponent is exploiting her gender to win the round. This is incredibly sexist and should result in an immediate loss. Single Gender schools affect both genders the same. YOUR GENDER DOES NOT MATTER.

I have won all me arguments and have dissproved those of my opponents. Vote CON.
frenchfrybabe

Con

In single gender classes some genders might feel more smart or more dumb.In physical education you need the competiton we all genders.
LakevilleNorthJT

Pro

"In single gender classes some genders might feel more smart or more dumb.In physical education you need the competiton we all genders."

Wow......a one line response. It is clear that my opponent has conceded that I win the round. In my opponent's first sentence, she offers a non-unique argument. The same could be true in coed classes. This absolutely doesn't help prove her side of the resolution. The second sentence is a fragment and makes little to no sense. I specifically said genders have different ability levels and she was unresponsive to this.

Extend the argument about how in specific classes splitting up of genders is neccesary. Also extend the NYTimes article I provided showing how kids learn better in gender seperated classe. My opponent has not responded to any of my arguments and thus you vote PRO.

When voting, please vote on the debate and not on personal opinions. Thanks.
Posted by EmyG 5 years ago
EmyG
The Elementary School in my town did this once.
It went horribly.

The 3rd and 4th grade kids were divided into girls and boys. There were classes of about 30. As many of you know, girls can be snobby. 30 girls in one classroom is NOT a good idea, no matter what the age. They said, "Boys and girls together in one classroom will be too much trouble. The boys will distract the girls and vice versa." This is about the age when "cooties" exist. Well, they did when I was that age. If we're going to seperate girls from boys, shouldn't we do it in High School, when hormones are raging? Plus, you have to learn how to concentrate and work without being distracted by the opposite sex. Grades K-12 are supposed to prepare you for college. And college is supposed to prepare you for work. You will have to work with the opposite sex at some point.

When they had recess, everyone was there at once. Boys and girls. Even then they tried to keep them seperated. They said, "Boys can hurt girls on the playground." For one, that is sexist! Girls can be just as tough as boys. Girls can hurt girls. Boys can hurt boys. People can hurt themselves. I don't know how many times I've heard of kids jumping out of swings and breaking a leg. Or falling out of a swing. Or falling out of a tree. Kids get hurt. It happens.

Please Vote Con. It's the only thing that makes sense.
Posted by basketballbeast7 6 years ago
basketballbeast7
Pro wins because con's third round response was not so good.
Posted by LakevilleNorthJT 6 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
Wow, I can't believe I'm losing this debate.....
Posted by jmanstar 6 years ago
jmanstar
Heya, I'm just wondering if frenchfrybabe debated in Las Vegas... It was one of the topics in the middle school competition at Rogich...
Vote Placed by NiamC 1 month ago
NiamC
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Reasons for voting decision: bad but better arguments from pro
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 4 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by EmyG 5 years ago
EmyG
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by Ineffablesquirrel 5 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by emman101 6 years ago
emman101
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by lawyer_in_training 6 years ago
lawyer_in_training
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by ally93 6 years ago
ally93
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by beem0r-sucks 6 years ago
beem0r-sucks
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by necromancer 6 years ago
necromancer
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by nationalsqualifier 6 years ago
nationalsqualifier
frenchfrybabeLakevilleNorthJTTied